House Price Crash Forum

Cbi

HOLA441

When I lived down south I always thought the CBI was a very partisan and self-interestid little lobby group. So really I was not so surprised by this latest escapade:

http://newsnetscotland.com/index.php/scottish-news/9080-cbi-under-pressure-over-lack-of-consultation-before-joining-no-campaign

Looks like a fair few member organisations (e.g. the big universities) which have a legal duty to be politically neutral have already resigned.

Is this a serious blow for the CBI, or does it regard its northern members as irritating add-ons which it will be happy to dump?

Do English charities and Universities have a similarly statutory duty to resign their memberships on political neutrality grounds?

HOLA442

When I lived down south I always thought the CBI was a very partisan and self-interestid little lobby group. So really I was not so surprised by this latest escapade:

http://newsnetscotland.com/index.php/scottish-news/9080-cbi-under-pressure-over-lack-of-consultation-before-joining-no-campaign

Looks like a fair few member organisations (e.g. the big universities) which have a legal duty to be politically neutral have already resigned.

Is this a serious blow for the CBI, or does it regard its northern members as irritating add-ons which it will be happy to dump?

Do English charities and Universities have a similarly statutory duty to resign their memberships on political neutrality grounds?

Do ANY universities actually legally HAVE to be politically neutral???!!

HOLA443

It means you should always be careful about reading the dross on many Scottish websites during the campaign.

You can be assured that after the dust has settled they'll all be rejoining as platinum members again. Self interest means they can't afford to be outside and a few months on the sidelines will placate the odd bolshie student.

Presumably, the CBI has a duty to represent the interests of the majority of its members. not just a few in the future land of milk and honey.

Edited by Stainless Sam

HOLA444
HOLA445
HOLA446

Erat Forte says:

I'm guessing the latter. One of the commentators in the Scotsman report on this story (

http://www.scotsman.com/news/education/scottish-independence-universities-quit-cbi-1-3383002) says

Who exactly is CBI Scotland and who do they represent?

According to recent research, there are 269,780 business enterprises in Scotland, with 148,760 Scottish owned.

The CBI Scotland's own Business Directory shows that that their membership amounts to the grand total of 62! (Somewhat less now).

By contrast, the Federation of Small Businesses has more than 20,000 members.

Edited by Scunnered

HOLA447
HOLA448
HOLA449
HOLA4410
HOLA4411

The CBI Scotland spokesman had said that the issue was raised at a meeting of its members and that they were "very much at one" with his organisation's calls for an early ballot. However Mr McMillan was forced to admit that his claims were false after several business figures at the meeting, which was also attended by Scottish Secretary Michael Moore, issued public statements challenging his claims.

:rolleyes:

The usual level of democracy.

Edited by billybong

HOLA4412

:rolleyes:

The usual level of democracy.

To be fair, the CBI has a very small percentage of Scottish members. The vast majority will worry about extra cross-border costs in the event of independence, and regardless of whether or not these fears will be realised, will regard the status quo as the option wth the least risk.

However, the problem is John Cridland. Through his ineptness, he has suggested to the Scottish members that they are irrelevent, and rendered the CBI irrelevent in Scotland.

Cridland argued that devolution would be detrimental to Scotland in 2007. He was spectacularly wrong then, nobody has a high opinion of his predictions now.

HOLA4413

The FSB has 20,000 members in Scotland! :o

Seems reasonable. Their website (http://www.fsb.org.uk/about) says

The Federation of Small Businesses is the UK's largest campaigning pressure group promoting and protecting the interests of the self-employed and owners of small firms. Formed in 1974, it now has 200,000 members across 33 regions and 194 branches.

That's a lot of members! It's about one member for every 300 people in the UK.

HOLA4414

To be fair, the CBI has a very small percentage of Scottish members. The vast majority will worry about extra cross-border costs in the event of independence, and regardless of whether or not these fears will be realised, will regard the status quo as the option wth the least risk.

However, the problem is John Cridland. Through his ineptness, he has suggested to the Scottish members that they are irrelevent, and rendered the CBI irrelevent in Scotland.

Cridland argued that devolution would be detrimental to Scotland in 2007. He was spectacularly wrong then, nobody has a high opinion of his predictions now.

Even so making false claims about the outcome of an official meeting is far removed from democracy - from whichever side of the independence argument.

Edited by billybong

HOLA4415

Its just like barroso telling the scots they wont let them in as an independent nation.

Of course they will (why the scots want to be part of such a vile, manipulative bureaucracy is another matter...) they just close ranks with the existing westminster establishment. When that is swept away, it'll all conveniently be forgotten, and they'll rebrand themselves as being staunch supporters of scottish independence.

I still remember in the late 90s/early 00s when Brown was feverishly trying to combat the one thing Hague did get the public's attention on, not joining the euro. By the credit crunch, Brown had reversed history and framed himself as a staunch defensive of monetary sovereignty.

They talk about change a lot, but if its not in their narrow scope that they think they have control over, its all bad change, apparently.

HOLA4416

Even so making false claims about the outcome of an official meeting is far removed from democracy - from whichever side of the independence argument.

Indeed, if it weren't for Cridland's pathetic attempt at presenting the CBI as an united front, when it clearly wasn't, this would be a non-story. I'm was amazed that Tony Banks kept Balhousie in the CBI for so long, but he was obviously biding his time, giving Cridland enough rope. Well played sir!

HOLA4417

Meanwhile sticking to their remit of commenting on the economy, they report the strongest reading on their industrial trends survey since 1995.

It will be interesting to see what the GDP Q1 preliminaries come in at next week, I reckon maybe +1% Q on Q.

https://mninews.marketnews.com/content/uk-cbi-quarterly-industry-new-orders-highest-1995

HOLA4418