House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The Masked Tulip

Moyes

I can't believe he has done half the stuff in this - below - article. No wonder the Man Utd fans want him gone.

Did he actually get rid of long standing coaches and say that Man Utd should aspire to be like certain others even though they are currently champions?

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/teams/manchester-united/10778134/10-mistakes-that-have-caused-David-Moyess-downfall-at-Manchester-United.html

Getting rid of the backroom staff was the biggest mistake. They're guys with a track record of success at the top level, used to handling the egos that come with top clubs and were united through and through.

+1 I didn't realise this either.

Apparently he pissed off united defenders making them watch videos of Everton defending and how they should be more like them. Probably childish of the players to be irked by it but still.

Getting rid of the backroom staff was the biggest mistake. They're guys with a track record of success at the top level, used to handling the egos that come with top clubs and were united through and through.

Yep a stupid decision, why get rid of the experience? I can only assume he wanted his "own" success and he's certainly done that.

Although having said that if he gets a multimillion pound pay off it's more reward for failure.

He did manage to keep Wayne Rooney at the club. Admittedly in a couple of year's he'll be the only professional left, given they there will be no money for anyone else..

I was hoping Moyes would stay on another year, to go for the relegation. The real fun could happen if the Glaziers decide that they want out, and the club ends up bankrupt and in the 2nd division.

So £5m per year and it appears a £10m payoff. Nearly £15m for 9-10 months work and being a complete failure.

Nice work if you can get it.

Sounds like banking.

In fairness half the things in the article could, in a parallel universe where he did ok, have been put in an article revealing the secrets of Moyes' success at United. The press are good at laying it on when the outcome is all but assured. The most stupid thing he did was probably to apply in the first place. A poisoned chalice if ever there was.

Getting rid of the backroom staff was the biggest mistake.

He apparently wanted to keep Rene Meulensteen so it wasn't exactly all his fault.

+1 I didn't realise this either.

Apparently he pissed off united defenders making them watch videos of Everton defending and how they should be more like them. Probably childish of the players to be irked by it but still.

Nothing to do with the fact that Evra, Vidic and Ferdinand are past it and on the way out anyway and Jones, Smalling, Evans, Butner, Rafael were never good enough in the first place.

Sounds like a perfectly reasonable thing to do, how do you explain to your defenders what you want? Show them videos of what you want.

In fairness half the things in the article could, in a parallel universe where he did ok, have been put in an article revealing the secrets of Moyes' success at United. The press are good at laying it on when the outcome is all but assured. The most stupid thing he did was probably to apply in the first place. A poisoned chalice if ever there was.

Probably the biggest problem is that he never got the press on side, largely I think because he didn't give them anything much to write about.

I was hoping Moyes would stay on another year, to go for the relegation. The real fun could happen if the Glaziers decide that they want out, and the club ends up bankrupt and in the 2nd division.

Me too. I thought Moyes was brilliant. Ok, not for Man Utd, but the Premier League got a load more interesting. Man Utd fans can just go support Chelsea now instead, plus it's closer to home.

Me too. I thought Moyes was brilliant. Ok, not for Man Utd, but the Premier League got a load more interesting. Man Utd fans can just go support Chelsea now instead, plus it's closer to home.

I know more Man U supporters in newcastle than newcastle supporters almost. There's always a slightly tenious link to some uncle who may have been a ManU supporter.

Ridiculous. YOU SUPPORT THE TEAM CLOSE TO THWERE YOU FARKING LIVE!

Moyes looked hopelessly out of his depth almost from day 1.

Probably a good thing to put him out of his misery now, rather than let it drag on another year.

I know more Man U supporters in newcastle than newcastle supporters almost. There's always a slightly tenious link to some uncle who may have been a ManU supporter.

Ridiculous. YOU SUPPORT THE TEAM CLOSE TO THWERE YOU FARKING LIVE!

If that's true then, due to higher amounts of migration around the country than in previous generations, we can expect fans to be as loyal to clubs as owners are now to managers (unless you meant the team closest to where you lived when you first decided to follow football in which case my point is moot).

If that's true then, due to higher amounts of migration around the country than in previous generations, we can expect fans to be as loyal to clubs as owners are now to managers (unless you meant the team closest to where you lived when you first decided to follow football in which case my point is moot).

Well, it's from when you grow up obviously. As I moved to the UK 10 years ago, that means I can switch as I damn please. I've supported various teams over the years - typically whomever is winning that year or playing the best football (usually goes hand in hand).

If you find my view contradictory, it is.

It would be interesting to see how often appointments by previous general managers in the corporate world succeed or not.

If I was him (and unless he goes for early retirement), I'd bugger off to somewhere like the MLS for a bit...

Lasted less time than Wilf McGuiness though to be fair Moyes is a far better manager. Both inherited teams full of clapped out has beens. Just as well that Liverpool were not so quick on the trigger with Brendan Rodgers

Fans did their job well of gettign behind the new manager then!

I'd like to know what Fergie's record was over the same period when he started, I know they struggled at the beginning of his tenure.

Knew the writing was on the wall from day one splashing out on an Everton player. Maybe you do these things in small town clubs (importing your favourites) but you have got to get better quality than this if you are a Global club. The guy even had a built in damper on his head, God knows how he headed the ball.....

http://www.caughtoffside.com/2014/04/22/marouane-fellaini-set-for-man-united-exit/

27.5 million, what a waste of money.

Lasted less time than Wilf McGuiness though to be fair Moyes is a far better manager. Both inherited teams full of clapped out has beens. Just as well that Liverpool were not so quick on the trigger with Brendan Rodgers

Probably his biggest mistake was to view the job as a six year project and spend the first year assessing the situation and working out where to go from there. The club needs something like 10 new players, if you're going to spend somewhere ITRO £200,000,000 on player acquisitions that sounds like a perfectly sound idea to me but unfortunately the board have lost their nerve.

Now a "big name" foreign manager is going to have to come in, do a year's work in a week then gamble £200 mil on the back of that. Hope that pays off for them 'cos if it doesn't it'll be another 25 years before they win the league again.

I'd like to know what Fergie's record was over the same period when he started, I know they struggled at the beginning of his tenure.

End December 1989, just outside the relegation zone, the banner said ""Three years of excuses and it's still crap ... ta-ra Fergie.".

Knew the writing was on the wall from day one splashing out on an Everton player. Maybe you do these things in small town clubs (importing your favourites) but you have got to get better quality than this if you are a Global club. The guy even had a built in damper on his head, God knows how he headed the ball.....

http://www.caughtoffside.com/2014/04/22/marouane-fellaini-set-for-man-united-exit/

27.5 million, what a waste of money.

£27 mil would buy you 1/3 of Gareth Bale or just over 1/2 Mesut Ozil so not exactly a vast sum of money these days.

Bit of a panic buy though after the novice chief executive screwed up the other targets.