House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

interestrateripoff

Why Your Fingerprints May Not Be Unique

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/science/science-news/10775477/Why-your-fingerprints-may-not-be-unique.html

Fingerprint evidence linking criminals to crime scenes has played a fundamental role in convictions in Britain since the first forensic laboratory was set up in Scotland Yard in 1901.

But the basic assumption that everyone has a unique fingerprint from which they can be quickly identified through a computer database is flawed, an expert has claimed.

Mike Silverman, who introduced the first automated fingerprint detection system to the Metropolitan Police, claims that human error, partial prints and false positives mean that fingerprints evidence is not as reliable as is widely believed.

Nobody has yet proved that fingerprints are unique and families can share elements of the same pattern.

And there are other problems, such as scanning fingerprints of the elderly as their skin loses elasticity and in rare conditions leaves some people with smooth, featureless fingertips.

To be honest I never felt that fingerprinting would be 100% reliable.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/science/science-news/10775477/Why-your-fingerprints-may-not-be-unique.html

To be honest I never felt that fingerprinting would be 100% reliable.

they also don't test the complete print, only a subset of it. I wonder if this reduces the uniqueness of it.

With DNA testing I have read in the UK typically 6 people would match a given sample found at a crime scene, because of the way the testing works.

I beleive that they identify the locations of specific features, (forks in rides, centres of whorls, etc) and a minimum number have to match in location before a prints are deemed to 'match'.

So the matching depends on the number of points deemed 'acceptable', and also how 'close' the points must be for each individual feature to be considered a match.

So there is a lot of leeway. It is ultimately a statistical problem.

BTW they also use earprints. Apparently it is commonplace for a housebreaker to press his or her ear against a window to listen and find out if a house is occupied.

Fairly meaningless without any idea of just how inaccurate it could be - as already mentioned no-one should ever expect 100% accuracy on anything. What is "beyond reasonable doubt" in this case? If the odds are that one other person in the whole country could give the same result then IMO that is.If the prints simply narrow down the list of suspects that's useful anyway; even if they can't be used to claim that it definitely is someone it's still useful to know it definitely isn't some other people.

Examples where the pattern on the fingers might have worn away don't contribute usefully to the discussion, those don't give false positives (might as well complain about criminals wearing gloves).

I beleive that they identify the locations of specific features, (forks in rides, centres of whorls, etc) and a minimum number have to match in location before a prints are deemed to 'match'.

So the matching depends on the number of points deemed 'acceptable', and also how 'close' the points must be for each individual feature to be considered a match.

So there is a lot of leeway. It is ultimately a statistical problem.

BTW they also use earprints. Apparently it is commonplace for a housebreaker to press his or her ear against a window to listen and find out if a house is occupied.

I like your hobbies Mr Burglar! :blink:

snip

I heard about that too.

Solving most of my crimes* would require the police to have a database of knobprints, so I am safe at the moment.

If they do that, or worse, come out with IdentiKnob, I am sunk.

* Nothing pervy about my crimes. I just hold up banks with my knob.

'I've got a gun in my pocket and I'm gonna shoot unless you hand over the cash'?

(now, if it were a revolver, that would be something worth seeing)

Let's just say that it fits the term "offensive weapon".

Solving most of my crimes* would require the police to have a database of knobprints, so I am safe at the moment.

If they do that, or worse, come out with IdentiKnob, I am sunk.

* Nothing pervy about my crimes. I just hold up banks with my knob.

Is there sometning uniquely distinctive about your member? :blink:

Let's just say that it fits the term "offensive weapon".

wash it before use please.

wash it before use please.

There are some dirty ******* out there, who have "failed to aproximate 'gentlemen'" :wacko: