House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

interestrateripoff

Outlaw Buying Xes, Says Former Tory Minister Caroline Spelman

http://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2014/apr/21/outlaw-buying-sex-caroline-spelman-nordic-model-prostitution

The former Tory cabinet minister Caroline Spelman has called for the UK to consider criminalising the purchase of sex and urged more male politicians to enter a public debate about the reform of prostitution laws.

Spelman, who as environment secretary from 2010 to 2012 was one of David Cameron's few senior female ministers, said she supported the Nordic model, named after the system in Sweden, Iceland and Norway, which makes it a crime to buy, but not sell, sexual services.

Speaking to the Guardian, the MP said it was important for more men to make their views clear about the issue, which provokes strong feelings on both sides of the debate.

Many sex workers' groups argue that making the buying of sex illegal could push trade underground and make the lives of prostitutes more dangerous. However, Spelman said: "I think the Nordic law is the right direction, but we need cross-party support for it. It's very important men come out and say what they think as well because it's very emotive."

Well you get the sex for free and you just buy the condom?

So you can sell sex but it's illegal to buy it? :wacko:

:blink: You can't buy love, and I'll not be emptying my wallet for that!

What about ugly people, or the elderly, or those who are devoid of social skills?

This is just another way of criminalising another group of people for the sake of doing something when nothing needs to be done.

OK, not nothing - the laws on brothels could be reformed so as to make it easier for women to work together in a cooperative or a partnership so they are not forced onto the street with all the dangers they face there.

Wasn't Spelman the minister who presided over the outbreak of the fungal plague affecting ash trees? What a useless ****.

What about ugly people, or the elderly, or those who are devoid of social skills?

This is just another way of criminalising another group of people for the sake of doing something when nothing needs to be done.

OK, not nothing - the laws on brothels could be reformed so as to make it easier for women to work together in a cooperative or a partnership so they are not forced onto the street with all the dangers they face there.

Wasn't Spelman the minister who presided over the outbreak of the fungal plague affecting ash trees? What a useless ****.

Bolleaux You have me in one! :unsure:

When does the buying of gifts and dinner merge into "paying for sex"?

Anyway, I thought you didn't pay for sex, you paid for her to leave you alone afterwards....

I don't agree at all; by criminalising prostitution you keep it hidden in back streets and dangerous, mainly for the women but also for the men.

Legalise it, licence it, stop vulnerable women being beaten up or worse.

Surely all Tories believe in Free Trade

On edit -

By all accounts the law is not exactly a run away success in Sweden though the country does not ever seem to have had that large a number of prostitutes anyway

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prostitution_in_Sweden

Tories dont believe in free anything.

No free speech, no free choice, no free market, no freedom of association.

Basically they offend me in every way,

If they all looked like her, problem sorted!

Yep, legalise it. It could be run like a franchise of ATS. "Yes just a quick B'job and some hand relief".

These people just want to drag us back to the victorian times dark ages middle ages iron age bronze age stone age!

Instead of listening to sanctimonious god-bothering misandrists why don't we ask the sex workers what they want?

It also strikes me as curious that the anti-prostitution crusade is championed (it seems) by "middel clarse" ladies, while the ladies who go into prostitution seem to mostly be, aherm, "working class", and do it because they can't find another, better-paid, job!

I don't agree at all; by criminalising prostitution you keep it hidden in back streets and dangerous, mainly for the women but also for the men.

Legalise it, licence it, stop vulnerable women being beaten up or worse.

Totally agree Frank, though I don't see why women should pay for it, when I'm available for 3 pints and a kebab! :blink:

I think that the Tories are worried that women might make a living from prostitution, instead of packing shelves in a supermarket on the minimum wage and a zero-hour contract.

Near Westminster, that seems to be a Man's job! :blink:

I can see your point with this comment, but doesn't this make sxe sound a bit like an "entitlement"??

I can see your point with this comment, but doesn't this make sxe sound a bit like an "entitlement"??

I don't think so. It is a need - and one that can be satisfied through a financial transaction, if necessary. I'm not suggesting that ugly, out-of-work people should get a special sex allowance with their benefits.

It's not really an entitlement though is it? Unless they're planning free hookers on the NHS. In a free market the ability to purchase is dependent on someone taking the other side of the trade. No takers = no deal = no entitlement.

As with strippers.. The real victims are probably the people who hand over large quantities of money for a few minutes of fun.

Provided both sides are happy with the arrangement what does it really matter?

I have made the point before to people that getting a massage is not very different to paying for a hand Job.

Some agree - some don't. I don't see much of a difference myself.

Wasn't Spelman the minister who presided over the outbreak of the fungal plague

Beurk, I wonder where she picked that up from?

Not sure why it should be criminal at all. If people want to pay and people want to sell, let them do it.

There are plenty of reasons why people might actually need to pay - not everyone is capable or wants to establish a relationship first.

This is just another example of Goverments interfering in a market. And it won't work anyway. Doomed to failure.

I have made the point before to people that getting a massage is not very different to paying for a hand Job.

Some agree - some don't. I don't see much of a difference myself.

Well that's me for one not watching anymore tennis!