House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Frank Hovis

'it's Ok To Drink Six Pints A Day'

homer_woohoo_12360923.jpg

Dr Poikolainen also claimed that people who exceed the recommended limit could live longer than teetotallers.

The Finnish scientist said: 'The weight of the evidence shows moderate drinking is better than abstaining and heavy drinking is worse than abstaining – however the moderate amounts can be higher than the guidelines say.’

Which is 13 units not 4, so six pints rather than two.

Woo hoo indeed!

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-2609469/Its-OK-drink-six-pints-day-Alcohol-expert-says-13-daily-units-ARENT-harmful-health.html

Replying to my own post here but if this gets backed up by increasing studies where would this leave the puritain health lobby?

For years they've been banging on about low fat diets, and are still doing that even though its the refined carbs that are proving to be the worst.

So if (yes, still an if) one of the healthiest things that you can do is drink six pints a night then should the government, with their repeatedly-expressed concern for the public's health, slash the tax on beer and even start subsidising it as the logical thing to do?

Or would all the po-faced vegans in the health lobby just keep rubbishing this claim for years to come despite mounting evidence as the tobacco lobby did with lung cancer: because it doesn't fit in with their worldview?

Horses for courses.

My brother in law drinks at least that and his liver function tested as perfect (though he's pretty fat). I drink a lot less and mine's not great, a few months drinking like him would finish me off I should imagine.

Horses for courses.

My brother in law drinks at least that and his liver function tested as perfect (though he's pretty fat). I drink a lot less and mine's not great, a few months drinking like him would finish me off I should imagine.

I can do it easily (and happily) but only every other night or I start getting tired because it affects my sleep (I sleep like a log but awake less refreshed than if I'd had less sleep but gone to bed sober). I genuinely think that it's fine so nice to hear a professional backing it up. Especially as it's usually six that I do drink, if I have seven or eight that's too many for me and I feel worse for it the next day, and at six I'm legal to drive the next morning (I count my units).

I had my liver tested a couple of years ago as I drank a lot in my 20s and wondered if that had caused damage which meant I should be careful, had the test and no problems.

Are the finish not a bunch of jackeys anyway? it's like sugar is good for you research from the cadbury's university. edither way I'm not complaining, it's good enough for me.

The word of Pin, is ten pints, but only eight for a lady!

These days I can manage about 3 cans before I feel spangled, if it takes 6 pints a day for everlasting health then I'm screwed!

You need to hear the wise words of Pin! Good beer is in bottles, not cans!

What? Even for a 48kg one?

6 pints then!

With reasonable people like you, Mr Pin, the Ukraine problem could be solved so easily

I don't know about that problem! I like beer, tits, and motorbikes! :rolleyes:

I think I am not quite the person I portray myself to be! :D

These days I can manage about 3 cans before I feel spangled, if it takes 6 pints a day for everlasting health then I'm screwed!

Well if you won't take even the most basic of measures to look after your health then that's your lookout ;)

Sustaining 90 units per week wouldn't be possible for me, even half that amount would wear me down inside a month I reckon.

No problem drinking half that, but agreed that 90 a week would wear me down too. The good news is that the 2 pints a day limit the government has been trotting out, that we've all thought was rubbish, now has an expert saying that it's rubbish.

It's like their definition of a binge drinker: three pints in one session. Or a decent lunch as the rest of us know it.

But that is only because you date 'ten-pinters'!

Mon, it's the ladies that require the ten pints! :wacko:

No problem drinking half that, but agreed that 90 a week would wear me down too. The good news is that the 2 pints a day limit the government has been trotting out, that we've all thought was rubbish, now has an expert saying that it's rubbish.

It's like their definition of a binge drinker: three pints in one session. Or a decent lunch as the rest of us know it.

Six pints a day would wreck me. Three in one session isn't remotely something I'd call binge drinking but I wouldn't even want to do that every day.

It depends on the individuals liver. Depending on speed of consumption, our liver can handle x% of alcohol, it's the % above x that gets us drunk. For me, 3.2% beer just doesn't work, I get bloated but not drunk, even if I drink a dozen cans of the stuff. Carlsberg Export has gone from 5.0% to 4.8% and I can tell the difference after a few cans. I now win more money at the poker game so I guess that is a bonus but I'd much rather have 5.0% Export.

Six pints a day would wreck me. Three in one session isn't remotely something I'd call binge drinking but I wouldn't even want to do that every day.

I wouldn't even want to do it once!