House Price Crash Forum

Junk Phone Calls

Bruce Banner

HOLA441

Any suggestions?

Changed the number, registered with TPS, never give out the number, but still I get at least one call a day, usually in pigeon English, asking for Mr Lewis and then wanting to talk to the owner of the number. Service provider say they won't block all incoming calls.

I think I'll have to disconnect the ringer. I only use the landline for broadband and the odd 0800 call as my mobile inclusive call allowance is adequate for my needs.

HOLA442
HOLA443
HOLA444
HOLA445

My bugger keeps ringing at odd times during the day in sporadic intervals.

Always a witheld number, rings two or three times maybe up to a dozen times each time then stops. On the times I have managed to pick up before it stops there is only a dialling tone.

We get quiet periods of a fortnight maybe three weeks then all of a sudden it will start again annoy us for an hour and stop.

Keep meaning to search on how to find out how to stop this.

HOLA446

I've recently read of a phone which will block overseas calls without a certain code that you have to give the caller. This was in the context of someone with dementia who was getting a load of dodgy overseas sales calls and gaily dishing out cc details for thousands of £s worth of stuff they didn't need - inc. a single order of over £900 worth of vitamin pills!!!

If anyone is interested for maybe similar circs I will find it again.

HOLA447

I've recently read of a phone which will block overseas calls without a certain code that you have to give the caller. This was in the context of someone with dementia who was getting a load of dodgy overseas sales calls and gaily dishing out cc details for thousands of £s worth of stuff they didn't need - inc. a single order of over £900 worth of vitamin pills!!!

This one? http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2274764/Phone-block-80-nuisance-calls-BT-launches-new-landline-phone-combat-explosion-PPI-claim-calls.html

If I needed my landline phone for incoming calls I'd seriously consider one, but for me turning off the ringer is the way to go. 100% of nuisance calls blocked for zero cost.

HOLA448

...a lady I know in her nineties but very sharp, with it and most definitly the full shilling is forever getting charity begging junk mail and three or four calls a week, from the UK even though she is registered with TPS a very weak protection imo.....I was with her when the phone rang and when I asked her what they wanted she said to discuss her 'investments'.....she put the phone down on them, but there are many gullible people out there and these firms making cold, unsolicited calls are imo often targeting the elderly......she is making a note of who they are and should report them. ;)

Archived