House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

How To Improve Video Streaming On Laptop?

I have a year old laptop (Lenovo G580), used mostly for internet browsing. When watching iplayer etc, we often get the "spinning wheel"... which surprised me as we have fibre broadband.

Is there anything I can do to the laptop settings to improve this? Cache size etc? Also would adding more RAM make a difference?

We're only watching CBeebies etc (i.e. not full length HD films) so I don't want to spend too much money or buy a new laptop.

Check your router settings! I turned mine down from 300 Megabits to 150! Since I now am using half the bandwidth, I get less interference from niegbours!

Use InSSider to see if your neighbours signals are degrading your wifi. If they are change the channel on yours.

Move your laptop closer to the router or vice versa.

Use InSSider to see if your neighbours signals are degrading your wifi. If they are change the channel on yours.

Yes Mr Geezer, that is a handy tool!

Many thanks, now more apps to put on my samsung and play with, maybe not they wanted £6 i will have to be content with wifi analyzer

Hi, regularly use InSSider to keep a check on router channel. The router and laptop are in the same (small) lounge...

Anything else I can change on the laptop?

If the laptop has an ethernet port then temporarily test using a cable connect directly to the router - this will show where the problem may lie.

My wife's laptop (expensive but old HP) had a really useless/flaky WiFi connection, but has been fine ever since being connected using cable. Also, you might try changing the WiFi channel on the router, my Toshiba laptop hates #4 for some reason, and becomes flaky/slow but is fine with other channels.

Seconded, I've had a few occasions of wifi adaptors and access points that just didn't work together very well. A cable will come in handy anyway to mend things when you play with your router's wifi settings and break them.

Something else to try: having you been watching HD streams and if so can you switch to SD? (I can't check what the iplayer interface looks like from work).

The term "fibre broadband" is meaningless as it does not indicate any speed promise. Actually, there is almost no fibre-optic broadband in this country - the only providers are small set ups like B4RN in the North and some very small scale Hyperoptic and BT installations. Virgin Media's cable and other providers phone line based "FTTC" or "VDSL" are both delivered over copper, not fibre. They're just allowed to call it "fibre" for some bizarre reason. Though to be fair Virgin's cable platform does deliver the quoted speeds most of the time.

Anyway, run some speed tests at www.speedtest.net. You need at least 6Mbps for HD and 2.5Mbps for SD leaving a little margin in hand for when your mobile connects to pull down email, etc.

Some HD streams need 50Mbps (just launched, 4K streams - 8K streams next) but will just about get by with only 15Mbps most of the time. These are however rare since broadband in this country is so utterly backwards and atrocious.

If using WiFi, don't turn the microwave on and appreciate that magic though it appears to be, it will have an impact on performance from minimal to very significant.