House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

SEW247

Wifi Booster

Can anyone recommend a good wifi signal booster?

I don't want those horrid things you plug into the main power sockets with LAN cables, just a decent wifi booster.

I have just had Sky fibre broadband installed and have their standard Sky Hub, so anything you could recommend which will work with this would be great.

Thanks!

I don't want those horrid things you plug into the main power sockets with LAN cables, just a decent wifi booster.

I have just had Sky fibre broadband installed and have their standard Sky Hub, so anything you could recommend which will work with this would be great.

Thanks!

I bought a wifi booster but didn't find it too be particularly effective - just passed on the poor connection. I actually use the power line connectors in my current place to get wifi to the second floor by cable for desktop PC - actually works pretty well. They seem to be quite hot to the touch most of the time though so probably not very energy efficient.

I bought a wifi booster but didn't find it too be particularly effective - just passed on the poor connection. I actually use the power line connectors in my current place to get wifi to the second floor by cable for desktop PC - actually works pretty well. They seem to be quite hot to the touch most of the time though so probably not very energy efficient.

If it's economy you are looking for then buy 50 rolls of tin foil from tescos and wallpaper the inside of your house with it.

This will reflect the rf back from the walls into the room and boost the signal.

Alternatively once when I was having problems in a hotel room I laid out a long piece of wire that reached right across the room and put the pc on top of it, which worked a treat.

If it's economy you are looking for then buy 50 rolls of tin foil from tescos and wallpaper the inside of your house with it.

This will reflect the rf back from the walls into the room and boost the signal.

Will this have the additional benefit of protecting me from mind control by aliens?

Will this have the additional benefit of protecting me from mind control by aliens?

The fantastic thing about a Faraday cage is that it works both ways : stops stuff getting in as well as out.

However I am no expert on the mind control methods used by aliens. My guess is that the customer service department at tescos would be your best bet.

The "problem" with wi-fi, or indeed powerline stuff is that your neighbours are on the same channel! A Cat5 cable works very well!

Most modern routers select the channel automatically, so this isn't a problem. Just buy the wifi powerline extender kit, it will do exactly what you want and works perfectly (second powerline has a wifi router built into it)

http://www.amazon.co.uk/TP-Link-TL-WPA4220KIT-Powerline-Extender-Configuration/dp/B00DHB2T44/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1397829162&sr=8-1&keywords=powerline+wifi

or this one which doesn't use powelines:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/TP-Link-TL-WA850RE-Universal-Extender-Configuration/dp/B00AHXXJVW/ref=sr_1_13?ie=UTF8&qid=1397829254&sr=8-13&keywords=powerline+wifi

I would try changing the channels and frequency on the Sky router first of all as that might help. Also make sure that your router is some distance from other electronic devices and cables.

Second step would be a bigger pair of aerials - try wrapping a metal coat hanger with some kitchen foil to your current ones or go to Maplins and buy a bigger pair.

Failing that you really need a bridging router that will work with the Sky router - at which point you get into the vagueries of matching firmware. What routers do Sky supply these days?

Cut your bitrate down from 300 to 150 Megabits/sec. You will then get interference from less neighbours! Use a tool like insIDDer to find who is interfering

My father had this problem - he lives in a block of flats with wifi routers in each one. Even with the router (a cable TV one, which can't easily be moved) in the living room and the PC in his office, only one partition wall and 15 feet away, he was getting a signal that was so weak it occasionally dropped. He went out and bought whatever was the signal booster du jour that Maplins were selling at the time, and it solved the problem completely.

If you've got an old router somewhere from a previous ISP, you should be able to bridge them fairly easily (apart from O2 - they tend to cripple the firmware in their thompsons, can always downgrade the firmware but requires a bit of faff).

If you've already got LAN cable run everywhere you can just plug that spare router in to your main router without needing to bridge (but fix the IP and DNS). When I was gutting my house I made sure I had cat6 run to every single room to give that option.

Thanks!

I use a TP Link WR702N in 'repeater' mode. About £18 on Amazon. My first one packed up after about 6 months, aside from that it's fine. I probably wouldn't recommend it for HD streaming though.

I use a TP Link WR702N in 'repeater' mode. About £18 on Amazon. My first one packed up after about 6 months, aside from that it's fine. I probably wouldn't recommend it for HD streaming though.

Not on this holiest of days! It's a pretty big day in Yid-World too Mr Amish!

For those of you of other persuasions, enjoy your chocalate eggs!

Those horrid things that you plug into the wall with LAN cables sticking out are far better, than any 'wifi booster'

Belkin cable routers with Wifi were pretty good for these things (you don't need cable, only an internet connection) with a bridged connection.