House Price Crash Forum

Surely All You Renters Wil Fuel Btl?

HOLA441

New to this site and confused. In parts Cambridgeshire BTL very buoyant as large quota of overseas workers due in New Year. If FTB's and many on here who say "do not buy" + the new "arrivals" (believe this is happening all over Uk) then surely more rental properties are needed therefore fuelling demand?

In London (where I live) I personally know people who are not legally entitled to be here/work but they are and all happily renting

They need to live somewhere? And how many actually are here? This must have some impact on the countries economy?

Plus because of tax liabilities many BTL's are looking at properties as their "pension fund" and hoping over time the properties will increase in value. Many of the overseas arrivals are happy to live in crammed conditions so landlords are able to up the rental yields and still give the tenants a good deal.

Just my own thoughts and interested to hear from others who can explain the situation more clearly as I must admit not a clue whether to buy or wait??

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

HOLA442
HOLA443
HOLA444
HOLA445
HOLA446

New to this site and confused. In parts Cambridgeshire BTL very buoyant as large quota of overseas workers due in New Year. If FTB's and many on here who say "do not buy" + the new "arrivals" (believe this is happening all over Uk) then surely more rental properties are needed therefore fuelling demand?

In London (where I live) I personally know people who are not legally entitled to be here/work but they are and all happily renting

They need to live somewhere? And how many actually are here? This must have some impact on the countries economy?

Plus because of tax liabilities many BTL's are looking at properties as their "pension fund" and hoping over time the properties will increase in value. Many of the overseas arrivals are happy to live in crammed conditions so landlords are able to up the rental yields and still give the tenants a good deal.

Just my own thoughts and interested to hear from others who can explain the situation more clearly as I must admit not a clue whether to buy or wait??

I've colour coded your post. "Buy" lines are in blue, "Sell" lines are in red, "Hold short" (ie "Wait" to buy) lines are in orange, and "Hold long" (ie "wait" to sell) lines are in green. Stuff that shows no opionion (ie no clue one way or the other is in magenta.

So, apart from lines where you say you are confused, you seem to have perfectly made up your mind.

Oh, I almost forgot: awooga.

Edited by Sledgehead

HOLA447
HOLA448
HOLA449

YOU should buy as many BTL's as you can, you seem to have factored everything in there - GO FOR IT!

HOLA4410

i was not stating fact but asking for opinions....the reason all my points were followed by question marks.

just so frustrated after all the years of waiting for a crash. (hence my sign in)

in london you can not even buy a phone box for less than £200k. Some ppl in london hav been waiting 3 yrs for a crash and latest figures in SOME good areas are showing increases. the city is awash with mega bonuses and some of these guyz are buying numerous BTL's instead of 1 penthouse.........

HOLA4411
Guest muttley

and some of these guyz are buying numerous BTL's instead of 1 penthouse.........

Who are they going to let them to when the economy turns?The easy money has been made in property.The more astute *guyz* will be investing elsewhere.

HOLA4412
HOLA4413

beenhearingthisforyears

There have always been illegal immigrants (beenhearingthisforyears?), and there always will be. Why should they have any more impact now than they have had in the past?

Edited by selkirk

HOLA4414
Guest muttley

Apparently all the Polish plumbers who are in London in their 1000's and cleaning up. heard they are buying all the penthouses?

So they don't intend to stay then?

HOLA4415
HOLA4416
HOLA4417
HOLA4418
HOLA4419
HOLA4420
HOLA4421

This forum is like some kind of cult. lots of back-slapping and "aint we so bloo$y clever"

I did not understand one single word of the sarcastic posts. So totally lost/wasted on me. No idea what your witty!? (yeah right) comments were on about, but it is obvious that a lot of point scoring goes on amongst members. PATHETIC!!!

And can see the forum is a closed shop unless you wish to massage ppl's egos and agree with every word they say. Why is that?

I respect others opinions and just do not understand why only one poster referred to any of my points raised?

Just tried to bully boy me out of the school playground. Grow up ffs.

HOLA4422

Hi -you need to go read 3 threads: they will help explain the reception you got.

You are being accused of being a Troll - (read the "Spot the Troll" thread - pinned at the top of main discussion area)

Then they don't believe/like you as you are offering a bullish view of the market (contrary to the desired view) _ read the thread "New Posters beware the censorship on this site" - somewhere in the Troll sub forum

I don't know what Awooga means either - but I have invented a meaning -

Anyone With Opposite Opinions Go Away

Oh - the 3rd thread is called "But to let a tale of woe" - my 1st posting - it was in the off-topic section (where it got moved to) but I think its back in the main section.

Good luck

HOLA4423

I don't think there is any increase in rental demand which is why rents have been static or falling in most areas. They aren't even going up with inflation. If there was more demand than supply you would expect rents to go up. There have always been immigrants, legal and illegal, I don't think there are anymore now putting pressure on BTL demand.

Unfortunately a lot of people are looking at BTL as their pension, possibly misguided as many are willing to rent at a loss with the expectation of capital gains in the future. Reading an article last week it isn't definitely the case that property will go up in the longterm, property supply in the UK could go into oversupply anywhere from 2010 onwards.

Now is not the time to buy, we are at the top of the cycle and the downside risks are huge, people will go on about avoiding a crash, prices levelling out etc but the chances of a crash are even higher now, the economy is in trouble and that is likely to lead to higher unemployment which could provide the trigger that is needed.

HOLA4424

I don't think there is any increase in rental demand which is why rents have been static or falling in most areas. They aren't even going up with inflation. If there was more demand than supply you would expect rents to go up. There have always been immigrants, legal and illegal, I don't think there are anymore now putting pressure on BTL demand.

Unfortunately a lot of people are looking at BTL as their pension, possibly misguided as many are willing to rent at a loss with the expectation of capital gains in the future. Reading an article last week it isn't definitely the case that property will go up in the longterm, property supply in the UK could go into oversupply anywhere from 2010 onwards.

Now is not the time to buy, we are at the top of the cycle and the downside risks are huge, people will go on about avoiding a crash, prices levelling out etc but the chances of a crash are even higher now, the economy is in trouble and that is likely to lead to higher unemployment which could provide the trigger that is needed.

cheers and thank you for actually referring to my post.

HOLA4425