House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Rigsby

Car Bumper Repairs - Women Reversing

She's done it again. Newish car, 3 months old, she reversed straight out of our garage and failed to see my stationary 15' long enormous 4x4 - so now she has a big scuff and graze on the bumper, down to the plastic with a few sharp edges, but luckily no dents on the bodywork, but its pi$$ed me right off. Last new car we had, we had it 3 months and she reversed into a car in the supermarket. One before that she failed to see a bright yellow 3 ton skip, and almost wrote it off reversing into it.

What is it with women and reversing ??

Anyhoo, anyone had any luck having bumpers resprayed ? What should I expect in terms of quality, should it be as-new ? Don't mind paying if you can get a perfect job, those chips away franchises sound dodgy, body shops sound best. Cheers....

She's done it again. Newish car, 3 months old, she reversed straight out of our garage and failed to see my stationary 15' long enormous 4x4 - so now she has a big scuff and graze on the bumper, down to the plastic with a few sharp edges, but luckily no dents on the bodywork, but its pi$$ed me right off. Last new car we had, we had it 3 months and she reversed into a car in the supermarket. One before that she failed to see a bright yellow 3 ton skip, and almost wrote it off reversing into it.

What is it with women and reversing ??

Anyhoo, anyone had any luck having bumpers resprayed ? What should I expect in terms of quality, should it be as-new ? Don't mind paying if you can get a perfect job, those chips away franchises sound dodgy, body shops sound best. Cheers....

You have the wrong wife! :blink:

I just give a new "ho" the keys and say, "park that bitch"! I'm impressed if she does! There's some blurks that are *****y parkers too! Why not get a rubber car for her?

The clue is in the name

There are cars that park themselves now, and soon they will drive themselves, so the end of your mental torture is on the horizon.

In the meantime get an appropriate car for her, one of the old tank Landrovers or an old Lada should do. (And teach her to behave like Ed Balls, allegedly)

The clue is in the name

Yes, bumpers used to be just that - strips of rubber, a bump would be just that. Nowadays to cater for the Topgear generation who are precious about these things, they are colour coordinated spoilers which must be given personal space as befits their beauty.

So a coming together is now treated as a 'reportable accident' - ask Ed Balls. :)

More fodder for the insurance claim companies.

Yes, bumpers used to be just that - strips of rubber, a bump would be just that. Nowadays to cater for the Topgear generation who are precious about these things, they are colour coordinated spoilers which must be given personal space as befits their beauty.

So a coming together is now treated as a 'reportable accident' - ask Ed Balls. :)

More fodder for the insurance claim companiesl

Bumpers should be chrome plated steel! The "crumple zone" is in the opposing vehicle! :mellow:

£400 to fix the plastic and respray, should be as good as new. Or if she is a serial offender, just leave it.

The number of cars with dents on the bootlid is quite stunning, often Zafira/Picasso sort of cars with compromised rear visibility and quite a flat rear profile.

My last neighbour across the road watched my wife get into our car and said hello, then got into her own car and reversed straight out towards our drive without looking, my wife stopped her car before entering the road, but it is easy to see how prangs occur when some people are just totally unaware of even the most obvious hazards.

I always have a look around the rear of the car before I get in if I know I'll be reversing out. Small bollards/walls etc can be hard to spot in the mirrors.

The number of cars with dents on the bootlid is quite stunning, often Zafira/Picasso sort of cars with compromised rear visibility and quite a flat rear profile.

My last neighbour across the road watched my wife get into our car and said hello, then got into her own car and reversed straight out towards our drive without looking, my wife stopped her car before entering the road, but it is easy to see how prangs occur when some people are just totally unaware of even the most obvious hazards.

I always have a look around the rear of the car before I get in if I know I'll be reversing out. Small bollards/walls etc can be hard to spot in the mirrors.

Sadly I wasn't there to witness this one but my dad was thinking about getting rear parking sensors fitted.

My brother was giving him a lift and as he had them fitted enthused about how good they were, and especially useful for a big car.

He demonstrated this by reversing into a parking a space.

And straight into a small post that the parking sensor had failed to spot :D

£400 to fix the plastic and respray, should be as good as new. Or if she is a serial offender, just leave it.

Sheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeettttt 400 squids ??? Might well leave it, it'll only happen again.

You have the wrong wife! :blink:

I just give a new "ho" the keys and say, "park that bitch"! I'm impressed if she does! There's some blurks that are *****y parkers too! Why not get a rubber car for her?

Yeah don't start me on the clutch. Its binary on or off, no smooth engagement or owt like that.

Yeah don't start me on the clutch. Its binary on or off, no smooth engagement or owt like that.

It's not just women, some people just do not have that feel for machinery.

Many times I've been given a lift and have been mentally saying "change" as the engine either screams or strains in a gear two away from what it should be in.

Sounds like she wasn't taught to drive properly. :(

It's not just women, some people just do not have that feel for machinery.

Many times I've been given a lift and have been mentally saying "change" as the engine either screams or strains in a gear two away from what it should be in.

You know my mate "Redline Dan", don't you?

It's the shoes she wears or the car mats you have. Or the seat being in the wrong place. Or. No you probably have heard them all.

I reverse loads better than I did since getting my own car and having to reverse it through a slalem to get it parked here.

Is it a land rover! Those farming girls know how to work a clutch! ;-0

Sounds like she wasn't taught to drive properly. :(

Make her reverse park. When she gets in the car first ghing she has to drive forward out. Much safer. If she starts moaning about having to do that, just say next time it may be a kid she hits or a cute little kitten

You know my mate "Redline Dan", don't you?

My father said that one of his female customers had a big-engined Jag with a manual gearbox, and just left it in third the whole time. It was powerful enough to pull away, and didn't hit the red line on the motorway. No idea why she didn't just get an auto...

As for parking, the Merc we had in Holland last year had some kind of radar/sonar thing that would go ping when you were getting close to something. Lots of new cars have rear cameras, too. With the tiny rear windows on so many new cars, you really need something like that.

Get the correct touch up paint for your car. Carefully cut any protruding rough plastic with a razor or very sharp knife. Carefully fill only the area the paint has scraped away from with a good fine artist style brush as level as possible. Possibly have a quick go with something like colour magic in a rough colour match to your car if there's too much finer paint scratches to fill.

Then polish it with G3 compound and the manufacturers waffle pad thing. This will make a surprising amount of the scratching magically disappear but be very careful not to overcook it as it is quite a powerful abrasive.

Also if there is quite bad indentation try a heat gun on it first but also don't overcook it.

I've done so many repairs on my girlfriend's car body that I reckon she thinks now it's not worth bothering driving carefully as it can always be easily fixed.

My father said that one of his female customers had a big-engined Jag with a manual gearbox, and just left it in third the whole time. It was powerful enough to pull away, and didn't hit the red line on the motorway. No idea why she didn't just get an auto...

Bigger cars are not so good with a manual box. Some people have no empathy for the engine. This is not a purely female problem.

Reversing seems to be a problem for some people.