House Price Crash Forum

Modern Day Prefabs

HOLA441

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2606881/Doorsteps-delivered-doorstep-Ready-homes-factory-built-scratch-just-three-weeks.html

If they want to solve "the housing crisis", they should be chucking these up everywhere.

No mention at all, of the price, although, I bet the price of land makes these types of house several times more expensive than they should be. The technology would have moved on considerably, over the last 60 years or so..

article-2606881-1D28BB0900000578-403_634

HOLA442

The modern day prefabs ive looked into are all more expensive then a standard build.

Reason there is no price is because its a housing association buying them so one way or another itll be costing far more then it should.

Got to keep those graduates and failed public sector schoolboys/girls in non jobs somehow.

HOLA443
HOLA444
HOLA445

You could scale down a huf-haus to an affordable level, yes they are expensive but good design can be replicated cheaply once you get the basic design perfected. The problem with British pre fabs is they try to replicate traditional brick built buildings which in my view is never going to work as well as a modern design like a huf-haus.

HOLA446

You could scale down a huf-haus to an affordable level, yes they are expensive but good design can be replicated cheaply once you get the basic design perfected. The problem with British pre fabs is they try to replicate traditional brick built buildings which in my view is never going to work as well as a modern design like a huf-haus.

I do like a Huf Haus, and you can even buy log cabin kits for a few thousand, but like anything, its the price of land that screws it all up..(that's if you can get planning that is)...

HOLA447
HOLA448

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2606881/Doorsteps-delivered-doorstep-Ready-homes-factory-built-scratch-just-three-weeks.html

If they want to solve "the housing crisis", they should be chucking these up everywhere.

Agreed; but they should be cheaper, and less of a hideous design. 2014 and they're doing prefabs to blend in with the 1950s LHA stock surrounding it.

And I've got no 'connection' with so many of the German design prefab houses I've seen. They look totally alien-culture to me, which is fine, but not for me. And they're often way too massive a footprint, which goes against my conservative terra-forming instincts.

A few housing estates I've been around recently, that had a reputation for trouble, has seen the council put in a bit of money. Row after row of grey pebbledash frontages of houses been turned a nice gentle cream colour. Some of the roofs been replaced by a groovier dark-green sheet-metal casting. Not sure of the downsides of that from tiles. However the areas are generally so much less threatening looking now. You just feel a bit better. They've even built so new smart small eco-houses that really look appealing.

HOLA449

And I've got no 'connection' with so many of the German design prefab houses I've seen. They look totally alien-culture to me, which is fine, but not for me. And they're often way too massive a footprint, which goes against my conservative terra-forming instincts.

German prefabs can be made almost any way you please. You meet them with their CAD tools, then they present you with a few options, then your choice is made in a factory.

Small footprints with a full basement as part of the house (ie so you still get a decent house even with the small footprint) are commonplace for them, far more so than in the UK building industry.

HOLA4410

we do NOT need prefabs or anything like that. we need cheap land with planning permission. nothing else!

Spot on. The answer to expensive housing is not to live in prefab,containers or wigwams but more land with planning permission.

HOLA4411

Why a prefab?.....would be better living in a mobile home, at least the senery would change, no CT only road/fuel tax......easy to make homes in kit form in factory and assemble like lego......or live in a tree.......land,water, fuel and telecoms. ;)

BlueForest_Treehouse_Amberley_Castle_1_n

HOLA4412
Guest TheBlueCat

we do NOT need prefabs or anything like that. we need cheap land with planning permission. nothing else!

Nah, that's far too simple!

HOLA4413

...but planning permission can take several years, even a decade or two, then the builder refuses the build, as the "the state of the current property market means that building is not profitable", and then when they decide to build, they take a year building a dozen houses.

There was a site about a mile from me, where, in 1946, they built 150 prefabs in around three months. Admittedly, they were only meant to last ten years, but if you built half that in six months, which are built to modern standards, that would be still some going. On the one hand, the govt complain that "not enough houses are built", then on the other, you have the builders playing the market, for the biggest profit.

These modern prefabs, aren't the most attractive buildings, but when you watch something like Grand Designs, people often have wooden framed type buildings put up in a couple of days. Would make a change to the bland Barratt boxes that's for sure.

Whether you believe there's a housing shortage or not, this would be a way where we could achieve building something like 300k a houses a year, rather than a quarter of that, that we are putting up at the moment.

HOLA4414

http://www.boklok.com/about-the-BoKlok-concept/

Boklok is the affordable well build prefab, a council in Gateshead used these but still managed to spend a fortune.

Huf Haus are for people selling up and moving out of London spending their children's and grandchildrens future.

Only way for building to become cheap is for councils and govt to f off.

HOLA4415

These are the prices a British council managed to come up with.

Even cheap houses are needed to be bought with the Help of a housing association owning 50%.

http://www.boklok.com/upload/Documents/Documents%20UK/Current%20BoKlok%20Price%20List.pdf

If only they let me run an entire regions planning policy, itd cost a fraction and id work for free!

HOLA4416

Even cheap houses are needed to be bought with the Help of a housing association owning 50%.

http://www.boklok.com/upload/Documents/Documents%20UK/Current%20BoKlok%20Price%20List.pdf

If only they let me run an entire regions planning policy, itd cost a fraction and id work for free!

It really is a bloody joke...especially with the ultra restrictive land supply, and every unnecessary party involved wanting a shilling to sign a bit of paper... trying to justify their existence..

HOLA4417

It really is a bloody joke...especially with the ultra restrictive land supply, and every unnecessary party involved wanting a shilling to sign a bit of paper... trying to justify their existence..

Its f'en Gateshead and close to the running track is a shythole. It was a mix of derelict industrial areas and council houses or it was when i used to run there.

https://maps.google.co.uk/maps?ie=UTF-8&q=Persimmon+Homes+St+James+Village&fb=1&gl=uk&hq=St+James+Village+development&hnear=0x487e65525287ead7:0x594570c53db4f5c6,Gateshead,+Tyne+and+Wear&cid=6055226242265349277&ei=i4VRU52sGcaNOJbLgMgM&ved=0CKMBEPwSMAo

You can buy a 3 bed detached house for less then these flats thus id imagine the cost of land would be relatively cheap.

As you say everyone will be wanting a cut as this nation is run by the parasitic middle class who havent the brains to create a business or the work ethic to get their hands dirty.

HOLA4418

Nearly £100K for one bedder in Gateshead? This country is truly a total joke.

HOLA4419
HOLA4420

Boklok is the affordable well build prefab, a council in Gateshead used these but still managed to spend a fortune.

Huf Haus are for people selling up and moving out of London spending their children's and grandchildrens future.

Interesting with that Boklok, but it's the price developers/land VIs want for them + agree re councils and gov point.

2013 completed: £3.9m budget for scrap of land in South Shields and 'eco' 9 three-bedroom houses and 12 two-bedroom apartments?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-22466370

http://housingforum.org.uk/knowledge/demonstration-projects/reed-street-%E2%80%98carbon-negative%E2%80%99-housing-0

Oh to be involved in the land-selling and contract work £, for them to be rented out to people on the social. I've got an image of the Soprano crew, feet up relaxing, showing their presence on the work-site for a day, to collect their end, except more white-collar legally helping people get homes; 'helping them'.

HOLA4421

Interesting with that Boklok, but it's the price developers/land VIs want for them + agree re councils and gov point.

2013 completed: £3.9m budget for scrap of land in South Shields and 'eco' 9 three-bedroom houses and 12 two-bedroom apartments?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-22466370

http://housingforum.org.uk/knowledge/demonstration-projects/reed-street-%E2%80%98carbon-negative%E2%80%99-housing-0

Oh to be involved in the land-selling and contract work £, for them to be rented out to people on the social. I've got an image of the Soprano crew, feet up relaxing, showing their presence on the work-site for a day, to collect their end, except more white-collar legally helping people get homes; 'helping them'.

Surely they have their own people to put them up at the Boklok factory to save giving Persimmons another freebie.

I love the way they say theyre targeting people earning up to 30K, surely the vast majority of people in Gateshead which is a deprived area are earning less then this so who are they targeting their normal slave boxes at.

HOLA4422

..ahh but that would force house prices down if we were to build enough houses...do you think Government or Parliament could live with that ....so many 'flippers'..... :rolleyes:

HOLA4423

Yes, ive never understood the hate here for traditional build. It generally seems the dutch or germans do different methods so it must be good.

All the quotes ive seen for SIPs and similar seem more costly than brick + block, with the sales people saying 'well you'll get it back in lower energy/heating bills'

Maybe, maybe not. This isnt the continent. Brick built for me thanks.

Edited by Executive Sadman

HOLA4424

Yes, ive never understood the hate here for traditional build. It generally seems the dutch or germans do different methods so it must be good.

All the quotes ive seen for SIPs and similar seem more costly than brick + block, with the sales people saying 'well you'll get it back in lower energy/heating bills'

Maybe, maybe not. This isnt the continent. Brick built for me thanks.

Could that be due to a SIPS cartel inflating prices ?

It's only kingspan sandwiched with osb board isn't it ? with a frame.

Considering the normal brick house has kingspan in the wall cavity, i smell a rat

Edited by Saving For a Space Ship

HOLA4425

I remember these. They were put on the market (mixed of social and private housing in one of the worst neighbourhoods) at 100k. The space inside was not too bad, but the noise from neighbours was terrible and it still looked like a dump. Horrible things.