House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

SpectrumFX

Cash Point Theft

I've just tried to withdraw £40 from the cash point, but it only gave me £30!

The cheeky so and so's have debited me for the full £40. Anybody else ever had this happen, and if so what did you have to do to sort it out?

Something similar (but opposite) happened to me a while back; Requested £200 from the cash point, but the charitable machine decided to give me £220. Subsequently the ATM display showed an error and then went 'out of order'. Only showed up as £200 taken out on my balance. Never thought about sorting it out though - I hope you can understand!

I had a cashpoint break on me a while back and not give me what I asked for.

Go into your bank (or any branch of your bank) and they'll give you a challenge form which you fill in, detailing how much you asked for, how much you got, date and machine location/type.

I got mine back fairly quickly.

Happened to me

The offending bank(Barclays)referred me to my own(RBS)

Never did get any sense out of them, nor did I get my £10

Go into your bank (or any branch of your bank) and they'll give you a challenge form which you fill in, detailing how much you asked for, how much you got, date and machine location/type.

Thanks,

I raised a complaint through my online banking, if I get no joy from that I'll go into the branch next week and ask for one of these challenge forms.

Only ever happened to me once! Money replaced quite quickly!

I've just tried to withdraw £40 from the cash point, but it only gave me £30!

The cheeky so and so's have debited me for the full £40. Anybody else ever had this happen, and if so what did you have to do to sort it out?

....put £10 notes where £20 notes should have been. ;)

When this happened to me, it automatically refunded the full amount a few days later. Except I had withdrawn £100 and it gave me £80. I expected them to debit the £80 eventually but they didn't. As an honest citizen I actually tried to give the money back in branch but they said not to worry about it.

Correct, you need to go to your own branch and fill in a form - pretty straightforward from there - just bear in mind you need the full branch address of the offending cash-point in question.

RBS machine robbed me of £50 once - I should have known better as the machine had behaved a bit oddly in the past - there's a lession there. Ultimately I think they replaced the machine. Conspiracy theorists may of course claim RBS was insolvent and had actually runout of cash at the point I tried to withdraw money - we'll never know...

Some banks trade on having pleasant, competent and helpful customer service - this is the case with First Direct.

I changed to them after the same cash machine robbed both my then girlfriend and I - she got her money back from First Direct, I didn't.

That was about 15 years ago I haven't been sorry.

A little tip for cash points if you are under duress to withdraw money, put your PIN in backwards, you get the money but an alert is sent.

A little tip for cash points if you are under duress to withdraw money, put your PIN in backwards, you get the money but an alert is sent.

Sorry, that's an urban myth. (AFAIK it's not true.)

Sorry, that's an urban myth. (AFAIK it's not true.)

I feel stupid now! I could be being mugged and feeling all smug with this knowledge... you are correct. According to the police it was a hoax e-mail that did the rounds.

http://www.north-wales.police.uk/advice__support/pin_safety.aspx

ATM PIN Number Reversal hoax email

We have been alerted to a hoax email that has been circulating purporting to originate from Crimestoppers. It claims that if you enter your pin number in reverse into a cash point the police will be sent to your location.

This information is not true.

This email did not originate with Crimestoppers. It's content is false.