House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Bruce Banner

Balls-Up In The Car Park

And the innocent party loses their no claims bonus.

I reckon he could afford to lose his NCB. Maybe the other party could not!! The point made earlier, it is a criminal offence!

If I did that, and I wanted to "get away" with it, I' buy them a newer car, and send them crates of wine, and apologise really hard! That might work! :blink:

He'll be desperate to placate the owner of the car he hit; driving away from the scene of an accident is a CRIMINAL offence. ;)

Only if someone has been injured, or if you hit another vehicle which is being driven at the time (as I understand it anyway). If you hit a parked car, or any other unattended object (like, say, a wall) you need to report it to the police within 24 hours. Balls' mistake was to admit that he was aware that he had made contact with the other vehicle, he should have stated that he felt no contact, which would be a credible defence if the damage was, say, a minor crease to a front wing or door.

http://www.motorlawyers.co.uk/offences/failing_to_stop_and_report.php

Only if someone has been injured, or if you hit another vehicle which is being driven at the time (as I understand it anyway). If you hit a parked car, or any other unattended object (like, say, a wall) you need to report it to the police within 24 hours. Balls' mistake was to admit that he was aware that he had made contact with the other vehicle, he should have stated that he felt no contact, which would be a credible defence if the damage was, say, a minor crease to a front wing or door.

http://www.motorlawy..._and_report.php

I think if I saw him I'd be highly tempted to reverse over him and defend myself on the basis that no meaningful damage had been done.

I think if I saw him I'd be highly tempted to reverse over him and defend myself on the basis that no meaningful damage had been done.

Lol yes, but the fat git would probably cause an enormous bang as you hit him! :lol:

http://www.motorlawyers.co.uk/offences/failing_to_stop_and_report.php

No. I have a friend who took it to court when accused of the criminal offence after he allegedly hit a parked car when manoeuvring in a car park. I've seen the paperwork which refers to a criminal offence. Hampshire police's way of clearing up crimes is to interview the 'offender' under caution and prosecute. Few realise the effect of a criminal conviction on their lives and the majority of those accused just pay up when fined. My friend was the first on the island to defend his case. He won. Quite right, since the incident didn't happen.

Edit to add: are you alleging that police are telling victims that it's a criminal offence when it isn't? :unsure:

An ex-Gov minister being caught by CCTV is truly being hoisted by one's own petard.

surely all this evidence is inadmissable as it has been obtained outside the rules of the data protection act.

I wanted the video of the woman driving her car into mine as evidence.

I couldnt have it with her, her vehicle or anyone else in the picture...only data related to me. in other words, a bang to rights witness was barred to me in the interests of protecting the rights of the 3rd party.

surely all this evidence is inadmissable as it has been obtained outside the rules of the data protection act.

I wanted the video of the woman driving her car into mine as evidence.

I couldnt have it with her, her vehicle or anyone else in the picture...only data related to me. in other words, a bang to rights witness was barred to me in the interests of protecting the rights of the 3rd party.

Section 28 and 35 of the data protection act allows the use of any data covered in the detection of criminal activity.

I'm not even sure video would be covered anyway as it would not contain any data which is protected under the act. A registration number for example is a item of public knowledge, on it's own it's just some letters and numbers. The act only covers personal and private information about an individual and is quite specific.

Just sounds like one of the many times somebody quotes the act to avoid an issue.

Section 28 and 35 of the data protection act allows the use of any data covered in the detection of criminal activity.

I'm not even sure video would be covered anyway as it would not contain any data which is protected under the act. A registration number for example is a item of public knowledge, on it's own it's just some letters and numbers. The act only covers personal and private information about an individual and is quite specific.

Just sounds like one of the many times somebody quotes the act to avoid an issue.

but, this wasnt criminal activity.

from the information commissioners:

Example: A member of the public requests CCTV footage of a car park, whichshows their car being damaged. They say they need it so that they or theirinsurance company can take legal action. You should consider whether their requestis genuine and whether there is any risk to the safety of other people involved.

in my case, the police had viewed the video...Sainsburys were happy to show me the video and I saw it, but they wouldnt show me the related videos where the other car was doing its manouvers...vital at the time, to prove my case...which has since become mute on admission by the other party...but this might not have been the case.

Edit to add: are you alleging that police are telling victims that it's a criminal offence when it isn't? unsure.gif

No- although, sadly, the overwhelming recent evidence shows that one should never assume that the police are competent, or trustworthy.

I was merely trying to clarify that Balls did not commit the offence of failing to stop and report when he left the scene, but did become guilty of it 24 hours later when he had failed to report it to the police.

An ex-Gov minister being caught by CCTV is truly being hoisted by one's own petard.

yes, does seem rather poetic that they engaged in a mass surveillance operation against joe public, only to find that it is now being used against them!!!

I hope the footage is leaked so we can see what 'a touch of bumpers' looks like to Balls.

Bloo, I think you were ill served by the custodians in charge of the footage in your incident. At the same time it doesn't surprise me either.

The existence of footage in itself is of no use these days, despite the oft-seen phrase "for your own safety". Looks a bit hollow when your life is made harder when reasonable attempts to rectify losses are obstructed with no apparent justifiable reason.