House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
worzel

Self Build Register

Self build regsiter

Apologies for putting this in the main forum, but I think it warrants it. It would be great if we could spread word about this, as the more people that register interest in self build, the more land should be released for self build. Please register if you're interested and share with others that might be.

wonderful - Thank you.

I signed up to the find-a-plot service where there thousands of people looking for plots and zero on offer.

I did have a few offered for around £135k for plots in Weston-super-mare. At that price it's cheaper to buy used as we are talking over a million pound an acre for shit hole areas.

I am assuming government land will be serviced plots between 0.1 and 0.2 acres for < £50k? This could be hte younger generations right-to-buy moment.

wonderful - Thank you.

I signed up to the find-a-plot service where there thousands of people looking for plots and zero on offer.

I did have a few offered for around £135k for plots in Weston-super-mare. At that price it's cheaper to buy used as we are talking over a million pound an acre for shit hole areas.

I am assuming government land will be serviced plots between 0.1 and 0.2 acres for < £50k? This could be hte younger generations right-to-buy moment.

I also registered for the plot wanted thing, but the number of plots wanted to available is pretty depressing.

I'd be delighted to get a 0.2 acre plot, I'd prefer more of course, but being realistic, if this is only unused publicly owned land, its unlikely they will give super generous plots.

I think its really important that all those that are interested in getting a plot register, my understanding is that councils are duty bound to provide plots where there is demand, and the more demand the higher up the priority list it will go (hopefully)

There is a lot of 'demand' for plots on the find-a-plot website, but I would think that there is very little demand at 1,000,000 per acre and that is why we see very little economic activity in this area.

The house I am currently renting is about 0.16 acres and the Landlrd was looking for about £190k for it + it's in a good existing estate. It would be foolish to pay £160k for such a plot then spend £100k building a new home on it when you can get a used one for £190.

For any government scheme to be successful the plots need to be less that £50k in regular towns and villages - cities is a different matter.

You know I don't even mind leasing the land for life as long as thee is a good contract and reasonable rent being charged. If the government leased self builders land then they would not be accused of giving away land cheaply.

But then again, the government don't give a crap about anyone, especially outside of London.

I've always wanted to build a simple but efficient home for my family.

Last week we visited the Lammas self-sustaining community in West Wales. Genuinely an attractive idea once planning hurdles are overcome and cheap, effective, efficient use of design and technology is used to bring a 5,000 year old housing principle into a 21st century setting.
To Fulfil planning obligations. the Lammas need to be 75% self sufficient in terms of energy, food, waste disposal and it looks achievable but a lot of hard work.
Personally I would rather work 8 hours a day on the land in a kind community, amongst family and friends than commute 4 hours a day and work in an office block for the other 9!
A few self-build schemes have made themselves available recently. Including one in Norwich in which you buy the land with planning permission and local contributions made, then have to use a potton kit to build the house. I don't think I can post links, but the below is enough.

New Custom Build Opportunities in Beeston Park

We’re writing to invite you to register your interest in potential custom-build and self-build opportunities in a new community to be developed at Beeston Park, Broadland, north east of Norwich.

Beyond Green Developments is currently looking at how best to enable the delivery of Beeston Park, which is expected to start on site in summer 2015 and start releasing building plots from the autumn.

They’re asking anyone who might be interested in building or commissioning their own home to register and take their short survey.

For more information on the proposals and to take the survey,please click here.

Alas, as Norwich is not somewhere I ever planned to live, not one for us, but others are springing up locally in Hampshire (Petersfield) and Surrey (Milford Hospital) .
I cynically suspect the few plots that trickle down to the proles are just paying lip service to the planning powers that be and will be snapped up by "friends" of those in the know who accidentally find they cannot move into the newly completed homes and have to sell at a huuuge profit. grrrr.
But I can live in hope, and that the land is not £1m per square acre!

Funny enough, I signed up on the self build register again this morning. It asks all kinds of probing questions like would you rent your self build, do shared equity self build, build in another county etc..

It's really not hard to grant people planning permission on small <0.5 acre plots around our towns and villages. The sooner planning is granted en mass then the sooner people will build.

The state or planners need not interfere, if I want to live in a log cabin, mobile home or 5 bed detached cast concrete bunker then I should be able to!

The reason for so few self builds is the government and local councillors who are blocking self builders. If there was no laws preventing building and no local planners/councillors objecting so single family homes being built, then many thousands would be built each and every year.

Why do we need a waiting list / register? All we need to have is the law changed so that people can build their own single house within a 5 mile radius of existing built up areas.

It's so feckin simple!! I find it all quite irritating.

Wurzel, I agree with many of your points. The VI's have nothing to gain (PROFIT) from letting people just build their own homes. The real gain to society is more intangible in terms of local employment, desperately needed training and skills of the young / retraining citizens, the recirculation of money in the local economy (as long as the money spent REMAINS in the local economy and is not sent abroad because the building supplies are all provided by foreign-owned companies and the workers all have local(ish) ties and family).

Oh. That may not be the case then. As discussed on other threads on HPC.

The benefits to UK PLC of allowing quality, ergonomic, individual, efficient, personable homes are enormous if we:

Buy British, Employ our own kith and kin, and live lives based on social and emotive wealth and not just financial gain.

However, as regards "living in a caravan": There still needs to be control over the efficiency and sustainability of the dwelling. UK has limited ability to provide fuel, water, electricity, health care and other infrastructure. Good quality design and build does not have to be expensive by any means, but can hugely mitigate the demands on these services.

As regards planning and space, I agree completely. Even when groups of people club together it's NIMBY'd out of existence:

http://www.getsurrey.co.uk/news/local-news/self-build-homes-plan-rejected-council-4721979

Self-build' homes plan rejected by council - Jun 03, 2013
A Group of would-be self-builders have seen their hopes of creating a collection of new homes in Alfold dashed.
A proposal for eight homes was thrown out by planning officers at Waverley Borough Council, who used delegated powers to reject the scheme following strong objections from neighbours.

Yet these are the very places where the population is deteriorating into a bunch of elderly, cats ar$e mouthed blue-rinse brigade who boast how much they've made on their homes and how well their final salary civil service pensions are letting them live whilst tutting at the "poor" in the cramped estates who cannot afford to have a nice place BECAUSE OF THEM!

I really am thinking of living in a commune but the wife and toddlers aren't so keen. :)

(Saying that, it's be the best place to be when Ebola ravishes the UK)...