House Price Crash Forum

South Korea Ferry Disaster

HOLA441
HOLA442
HOLA443

Terrible news. Those poor people and their families.

Conflicting reports of people allegedly being told to stay where they were - reminds me of the twin towers. A relative of mine has married a Korean and I was told that the Koreans, like the Japanese, do what they are told. Most being children also I suspect this would have been worse.

With it tilting so much what chance to get out though even if you decided to try?

HOLA444

I realise this is a wild generalisation, but people from that part of the world (although often highly intelligent) don't have much common sense.

My parents used to host Japanese businessmen who were attending a local business school / TEFL course, and their naivety / stupity was shocking including:

• One man standing on his bedroom radiator pipework to open a window, then not telling my parents the pipe had burst until water was running onto their heads whilst eating dinner below.
  • Another going on a group trip to London and each buying a £20 "photo pass" from someone in the street to take photos of Buckingham Palace from the railings.
  • Another going into a womans shoe shop on Manchesters posh King Street to try on some slippers thinking they were for men (the slippers had a rose print design on them, and they had both tried them on and paraded up and down the shop for size - my parents didnt have the heart to tell them their mistake...)

I can imagine in this situation, rather than be proactive about saving your own life, a lot would just sit frozen to the spot, waiting for someone to tell them what to do.

HOLA445
HOLA446
HOLA447

Could have hit a North Korean sub?

That would have been an upturned bath pulled by ducks, and probably not on the AIS system! :huh:

HOLA448

I realise this is a wild generalisation, but people from that part of the world (although often highly intelligent) don't have much common sense.

My parents used to host Japanese businessmen who were attending a local business school / TEFL course, and their naivety / stupity was shocking including:

• One man standing on his bedroom radiator pipework to open a window, then not telling my parents the pipe had burst until water was running onto their heads whilst eating dinner below.

• Another going on a group trip to London and each buying a £20 "photo pass" from someone in the street to take photos of Buckingham Palace from the railings.

• Another going into a womans shoe shop on Manchesters posh King Street to try on some slippers thinking they were for men (the slippers had a rose print design on them, and they had both tried them on and paraded up and down the shop for size - my parents didnt have the heart to tell them their mistake...)

I can imagine in this situation, rather than be proactive about saving your own life, a lot would just sit frozen to the spot, waiting for someone to tell them what to do.

I don't think the Japanese are as daft as that! the slippers would probably go very nice with his flowery kimono, and decorative Samurai sword! Also he probably didn't need size 12s! ;)

HOLA449
HOLA4410
HOLA4411

The parents of hundreds of children missing after Wednesday's ferry accident off the coast of South Korea have accused the captain of the vessel of abandoning passengers after it emerged that he and six other crew members were among the first to leave the ship after it started to sink.

The captain, Lee Joon-seok, who is reportedly in his 60s, escaped from the 6,835-ton Sewol at about 9:30am on Wednesday, just 40 minutes after the vessel apparently ran aground and started to list severely.

Lee, his face hidden by a grey hoodie, told reporters at the coastguard offices that he felt "really sorry for the passengers, victims and their families and am deeply ashamed. I don't know what to say." He had earlier been criticised after he was seen drying wet banknotes on his bed while being interviewed by journalists.

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2014/apr/17/south-korea-disaster-captain-crew-abandoning-passengers

What a ****

HOLA4412
HOLA4413

from the texts that are emerging, it seems that the vessel listed past 45 degrees and many were too nervous to attempt to climb the incline to safety and stayed put; which is also apparently what they had been advised to do.

fatal error, for which, as they were mostly kids, they can hardly be blamed.

somebody needs shooting for this.

HOLA4414

Would there have been anything useful he could've done by staying on for longer?

Yes! He could have supervised the safe evacuation of the passengers. You can't do that if you're splashing around in the water. That is the reason why the captain should be the last to leave the ship, the safety of the passengers is his responsibility.

HOLA4415

Yes! He could have supervised the safe evacuation of the passengers. You can't do that if you're splashing around in the water. That is the reason why the captain should be the last to leave the ship, the safety of the passengers is his responsibility.

Sounds fine in theory, how could he effectively done that in practice?

HOLA4416
HOLA4417
HOLA4418

Sounds fine in theory, how could he effectively done that in practice?

directed orders from the bridge...handed out lifejackets...anything other than jumping off first.

HOLA4419

What is there to direct? The crew (should) know what to do in such situations without centralised orders. All he may be able to do is say which plan to follow then not a lot else he could usefully do. I'm playing devil's advocate to an extent here, trying to challenge the assumption that the captain's presence would make much of a difference to anything. It might be that it would but I don't think it can be safely assumed.

HOLA4420

What is there to direct? The crew (should) know what to do in such situations without centralised orders. All he may be able to do is say which plan to follow then not a lot else he could usefully do. I'm playing devil's advocate to an extent here, trying to challenge the assumption that the captain's presence would make much of a difference to anything. It might be that it would but I don't think it can be safely assumed.

in which case,why have a captain at all?

HOLA4421

Leadership.

HOLA4422
HOLA4423

I realise this is a wild generalisation, but people from that part of the world (although often highly intelligent) don't have much common sense.My parents used to host Japanese businessmen who were attending a local business school / TEFL course, and their naivety / stupity was shocking including:

I'd definitely do the first bullet.

HOLA4424
HOLA4425

Archived