House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Bloo Loo

Bbc On The Boil About The Recovery This Morning

for the first time in ages, I have Radio 4 on, mainly because it has regular time checks and I have an early appointment today.

First thing I heard was a political review of todays situation now that the recession is over...Tories can now claim the £ in your pocket is buying more, leaving Lab with egg on its face.

the reason...and Ive heard it at least 4 times more....wages are outgrowing inflation.

Tescos are in the poop as their Profits are down....note they are still extremely profitable...why are they down...customers are going low end to Aldi and Netto....

food banks....record parcels delivered this period.

and apparently, the growth is here and the recovery is persistent....all down to borrow and spend!....

So, all in all, a total mixed message, but Growth was the word for the economy, for food banks and for debt and spending.

Its the Growth all round channel....fact is, growth is a positive word...used by the BBC to describe just about everything.

The BBC have definitely gone full sheeple on The Recovery. Andrew Neil has taken to aggressively quoting OBR growth forecasts at Labour politicians as if they'd already happened. Apparently we've all forgotten how terrible government employees are at predicting economic events.

for the first time in ages, I have Radio 4 on, mainly because it has regular time checks and I have an early appointment today.

First thing I heard was a political review of todays situation now that the recession is over...Tories can now claim the £ in your pocket is buying more, leaving Lab with egg on its face.

the reason...and Ive heard it at least 4 times more....wages are outgrowing inflation.

Tescos are in the poop as their Profits are down....note they are still extremely profitable...why are they down...customers are going low end to Aldi and Netto....

food banks....record parcels delivered this period.

and apparently, the growth is here and the recovery is persistent....all down to borrow and spend!....

So, all in all, a total mixed message, but Growth was the word for the economy, for food banks and for debt and spending.

Its the Growth all round channel....fact is, growth is a positive word...used by the BBC to describe just about everything.

They just want enough time to offload their BTL's thats all.

Then 'normal service' will be resumed.

The BBC have definitely gone full sheeple on The Recovery. Andrew Neil has taken to aggressively quoting OBR growth forecasts at Labour politicians as if they'd already happened. Apparently we've all forgotten how terrible government employees are at predicting economic events.

Are they championing CPI wage rises as 'real' like Andrew Neil too?

We've also all forgotten people used to want and get RPI rises.

Wages have not increased much, if any more. What is happening is imported inflation has fallen due to the strengthened pound, ultimately this will lead to lower wages as it becomes more expensive to hire people in the UK.

Surely the BBC are too busy telling us how absolutely everyone on the planet loves the royals? It's not up for debate, it's a competition to see who loves them most.

Just about sums them up - establishment peddlers.

Of course, if you understate inflation you overstate growth and real wage increases, but the point is who in the general public is buying this rubbish anymore? I suspect a growing number of people are waking up - they count their money at the end of the month and realise it's all cobblers.

Of course, if you understate inflation you overstate growth and real wage increases, but the point is who in the general public is buying this rubbish anymore? I suspect a growing number of people are waking up - they count their money at the end of the month and realise it's all cobblers.

Not all, but for those who are not seeing or feeling any better off, those that are not so blind that they can see....either think they are saying it to question their reality or are saying it to make them feel even worse, everyone, so they are saying is doing well apart from them? ;)

Edited by winkie

my issue was that whatever the article, GROWTH was what was quoted.

the food banks, I listened again, and that had GROWN 50% in the year.

Tescos GROWTH, excluding new shops was minimal and disappointing.

there appears that the BBC does not understand what growth means...it means getting better and bigger...whereas they use this word to describe worsening situations, like the food banks.

casual listening would give the impression that growth is the real state of the UK...and thats good.

my issue was that whatever the article, GROWTH was what was quoted.

the food banks, I listened again, and that had GROWN 50% in the year.

Tescos GROWTH, excluding new shops was minimal and disappointing.

there appears that the BBC does not understand what growth means...it means getting better and bigger...whereas they use this word to describe worsening situations, like the food banks.

casual listening would give the impression that growth is the real state of the UK...and thats good.

Growth is eating more, getting fatter....... Growth in price rises...... Growth in property prices........all good presumably. :huh:

I was shocked at the lies on BBC 10pm news last night.

The wicked pretense that we were better off because inflation was falling and wages were rising.

No mention that the lost ground will never be made up, that the area under the curve of inflation is lost forever. The loss of utility of all that evaporated wealth is simply ignored.

If you add housing costs (a basic human need so it belongs here just as much as the price of milk) to the inflation that wealth evaporation becomes a countrywide firestorm sweeping through everyones finance apart from the top 1%.

The BBC is spinning like a whirling dervish already so it'll be interesting to see how they can grow the propaganda more as the eu elections on 22 May approach..

It'll be interesting to see how the BBC handle our slide into deflation.

There must start to be pressure to put housing costs back into CPI/RPI at some point.

They will claim they have with CPIH which include mortgage costs but not of course the purchase price. The tory troll on another thread who was working the late shift at tory HQ pointed out that CPIH was 1.8% and pretended this included housing costs. Well it depends how you define housing costs; is it mortgage interest based on emergency interest rates or the actual debt/ cost of the property purchase?

This one?... http://www.housepricecrash.co.uk/forum/index.php?showtopic=197991&view=findpost&p=1102501733

On the radio they've gone on and on and on and on...... all day long every 10 minutes or so about wages (including bonuses) increasing by 1.7% compared to inflation at 1.6%. They must have been toiling night and day to get the stats to show wages negligibly greater than inflation just before the eu elections.

Goodness knows what would happen if there was a real improvement in wages compared to inflation - likely all other programmes would be ditched to make way for rolling announcements.

Edited by billybong

On the radio they've gone on and on and on and on...... all day long every 10 minutes or so about wages (including bonuses) increasing by 1.7% compared to inflation at 1.6%. They must have been toiling night and day to get the stats to show wages negligibly greater than inflation just before the eu elections.

Goodness knows what would happen if there was a real improvement in wages compared to inflation - likely all other programmes would be ditched to make way for rolling announcements.

Ah, so that's what it's all about. Now what is it they don't want me to vote? :D

I'm not sure what you expected? The numbers are comparable to how they're measured the rest of the time and the stats openly published, so it's quite a big story.

The political spin is because of 'the cost of living crisis' tag line that Ed Milliband has been using is starting to look pretty silly, crisis was always the wrong word for them to use as it has a short-term nature to it's meaning, whereas the real pay squeeze has been a drawn out affair.

For the poster suggesting we should not be happy until we recover all the real wage loss since the start of the recession, you've picked a peak real wage to aim for that was mainly achieved by low inflation from imported goods. I can't see a way for a developed economy like the UK to get substantially more productive to achieve wage rises greater than inflation and I don't see a replacement for China pushing down the cost of goods again. Maybe we should aim for 1998 or 2003, not 2007?

I was shocked at the lies on BBC 10pm news last night.

The wicked pretense that we were better off because inflation was falling and wages were rising.

No mention that the lost ground will never be made up, that the area under the curve of inflation is lost forever. The loss of utility of all that evaporated wealth is simply ignored.

If you add housing costs (a basic human need so it belongs here just as much as the price of milk) to the inflation that wealth evaporation becomes a countrywide firestorm sweeping through everyones finance apart from the top 1%.

I would estimate 20%+ of the population has become ever richer during the recession......not just the top 1%......though I agree the sentiments above.

One thing's for sure don't expect them to be going on about it if wages go less than inflation again, more than likely it'll pass with little or no news broadcast like it has for the last 4 years or so.

Edited by billybong

I'm not sure what you expected? The numbers are comparable to how they're measured the rest of the time and the stats openly published, so it's quite a big story.

The political spin is because of 'the cost of living crisis' tag line that Ed Milliband has been using is starting to look pretty silly, crisis was always the wrong word for them to use as it has a short-term nature to it's meaning, whereas the real pay squeeze has been a drawn out affair.

For the poster suggesting we should not be happy until we recover all the real wage loss since the start of the recession, you've picked a peak real wage to aim for that was mainly achieved by low inflation from imported goods. I can't see a way for a developed economy like the UK to get substantially more productive to achieve wage rises greater than inflation and I don't see a replacement for China pushing down the cost of goods again. Maybe we should aim for 1998 or 2003, not 2007?

We can't control the part of the cost of living made up of Chinese imports, but we might be able to do something about the cost of UK housing. I believe there are even entire forums dedicated to this very topic.