House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

okaycuckoo

Keep Calm And Carry On

The poster was initially produced by the Ministry of Information,[1] at the beginning of the Second World War. It was intended to be distributed in order to strengthen morale in the event of a wartime disaster, such as mass bombing of major cities using high explosives and poison gas, which was widely expected within hours of an outbreak of war. Over 2,500,000 copies were printed, although the poster was distributed only in limited numbers, and never saw public display.[5]

Keep-calm-and-carry-on-scan.jpg

These particular posters were designed as "a statement of the duty of the individual citizen", un-pictorial, to be accompanied by more colloquial designs. The "Your Courage" poster was much more famous during the war, as it was the first of the Ministry of Information's posters.[2] However, although the campaign was prompt, and although 800,000 of the "Freedom Is In Peril" and "Your Courage" posters were distributed, many people claimed not to have seen them; while those who did see them regarded them as patronising and divisive. Design historian Susannah Walker regards the campaign as "a resounding failure", and reflective of a misjudgement by upper-class civil servants of the mood of the people.[7]

In 2000, Stuart Manley, co-owner with his wife Mary of Barter Books Ltd. in Alnwick, Northumberland, was sorting through a box of used books bought at auction when he uncovered one of the original "Keep Calm and Carry On" posters. The couple framed it and hung it up by the cash register; and it attracted so much interest that Manley began to produce and sell copies.[8] Other companies followed suit, and the design rapidly began to be used as the theme for a wide range of products.[9] Mary Manley later commented, "I didn't want it trivialised. But of course now it's been trivialised beyond belief."[9]

The whole thing has become very very tired.

Even the spoofs are a cliche and aren't funny anymore.

I like the Keep Calm And Carry One [insert image of choice] spoofs.

But that article says it didn't even have the chance to get tired - it was a failure from the start. Then Churchill was kicked out by the electorate. Then we had Pike's "Don't Panic!" Then we had Thatcher.

Are we starting the cycle again?

The whole thing has become very very tired.

Even the spoofs are a cliche and aren't funny anymore.

Deffo - seem to be for facebook addicts.

ION, I'm surprised this hasn't been posted more on facebook:

Deffo - seem to be for facebook addicts.

ION, I'm surprised this hasn't been posted more on facebook:

I'm i ******ing tears, amazing :D:D:D:D

Did it inspire the naming of the Carry On films?

Unlikely, since as the OP suggests, the poster wasn't really used during the war.

I think the title 'Carry on' comes from the first film, 'Carry on Sergeant', which is the sort of thing a slightly pompous officer says to his sergeant when he's finished talking to his men. It was probably just a play on words but then they started calling all of them carry on something or other.