House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
okaycuckoo

I Used To Live Here

Beat this!

I was in Manhattan on green card in 1988 - had an interesting few months sub-letting an apartment in this block on Mulberry St. Little Italy. The sole tenant was a social worker who quit the city for the summer. The building owners were an Italian construction family.

I think there were 12 apartments - split between 1- and 2-beds.

Four of us paid $400pm all in for 2 beds. We were each earning about $400pw as unionised contract cleaners on night shift. Used to walk home through the Bowery. It wasn't a bad place - no aircon, the odd cockroach - but we didn't get our deposit back. :lol:

IS5eeaanhcsl7z0000000000.jpg

The Zillow page is an amazing read, little chart and everything:

For Sale: $16,900,000

• Bedrooms:6 beds
  • Bathrooms:8 baths
  • Townhouse:7,300 sq ft
  • Lot:2,450 sqft
  • Year Built:1900
  • Last Sold:Jan 2013 for $650,000

http://www.zillow.co.../31497237_zpid/

Looks like property tax stopped in 2007.

Based on rent I'd say the building was valued at about $600k in 1988 - 3000% increase. Although it's just asking price.

edit: pic

Edited by okaycuckoo

Last Sold:Jan 2013 for $650,000 ?

Yeah, but looks like property tax stopped in 2007 - so maybe bankruptcy/administration resolved through a buyback. Or maybe kickback on "insoluble" planning conundrum.

Who knows? I guess it will be worth following up to see if the Asian/Russian/Saudi $ feeds back into the system.

Anyway, It made me laugh. Manhattan was already an expensive place to live but poor people could still get by on a 4:1 gross income to housing cost ratio. Just get by - I made it home broke (really needed that deposit).

Could removal of Rent Control have something to do with this? (its something I've only heard about from 'Friends')

Yeah, but looks like property tax stopped in 2007 - so maybe bankruptcy/administration resolved through a buyback. Or maybe kickback on "insoluble" planning conundrum.

Who knows? I guess it will be worth following up to see if the Asian/Russian/Saudi $ feeds back into the system.

Anyway, It made me laugh. Manhattan was already an expensive place to live but poor people could still get by on a 4:1 gross income to housing cost ratio. Just get by - I made it home broke (really needed that deposit).

Not familiar with US property tax (in fact i know nothing about it) 16 million in just over a year just looked crazy

Could removal of Rent Control have something to do with this? (its something I've only heard about from 'Friends')

No, I think that mostly applied to the Stuyvesant Project (which was sold a few years ago) and some select places. Didn't apply to this place - more to do with family buying out the places their immigrant parents used to rent, then milking it.

New York 1900-1970 did have a lot of social planning about it, and the labour unions were way over the top.

Those figures are all over the place - wouldn't read much into that.

The only figure that makes any sense is the first one:

07/21/98 Sold $1,150,000 $157 Public Record

Still a 17 fold (ish) increase in 16 years though!

Really? I had no idea they touched on such issues. Must've missed that episode.

friends-cast.jpg

Really? I had no idea they touched on such issues. Must've missed that episode.

friends-cast.jpg

There was an episode where the janitor threatened to grass on Monica for having Rachel as a tenant.