House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

interestrateripoff

Un: Britain's Sexism More 'pervasive' Than Any Other Country

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/women/womens-politics/10767784/UN-Britains-sexism-more-pervasive-than-any-other-country.html

Sexism in Britain is more widespread than in any other country due to a 'boys' club culture', a United Nations official has concluded.

Rashida Manjoo, a South African human rights expert, was charged by the UN Humans Rights Council to monitor violence against women in the UK and report back to them.

She warned that sexual bullying and harassment were now "routine" in UK schools, according to NGOs she had interviewed, and recommended that schools have mandatory modules on sexism.

Ms Manjoo shared her preliminary findings on Tuesday and said: “Have I seen this level of sexist culture in other countries? It hasn’t been so in your face in other countries. I haven’t seen that so pervasively in other countries. I’m sure it exists but it wasn’t so much and so pervasive.

“I’m not sure what gives rise to a more visible presence of sexist portrayals of women and girls in this country in particular.

Sexism in the UK never. Doesn't this woman appreciate getting kitchens installed to the perfect height so women can do the pots in comfort!!!

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/women/womens-politics/10767784/UN-Britains-sexism-more-pervasive-than-any-other-country.html

Sexism in the UK never. Doesn't this woman appreciate getting kitchens installed to the perfect height so women can do the pots in comfort!!!

Aye. well I'm sure Mr Mandingo, knaws all about treating wifey like shite, but not lettiin on! :(

Typical of stupid British bitches to moan and mouth off at the first opportunity.

It's all down to you! ;) You are spoiling the image of a "British Gentleman Abroad! :blink:

Well the chances of someone being sent and paid to do a study like this - and coming back saying ' actually its not too bad over there - in fact in many situations it appears there is quite obvious sexism against men ' is precisely zero.

[not sure I'd give credence to anything coming from any UN 'expert'.

Through her job my daughter has had dealings with certain UN bodies and some of her comments have been unladylike to say the least. Vastly overpaid and incompetent have been the most printable of them.

She once showed me a job description for some UN related job. I could not understand the jargonish blurb, so I asked her what it meant. She said, 'Basically it means driving around in a big car, going to a lot of meetings and talking shite.'

Naturally the salary and perks were very attractive.

The UN is vital....

...for Toyota Landcruiser sales.

It also provides lots of local employment in 3rd world countries in the form of chauffeurs for their massive Landcruiser fleets.

Well the chances of someone being sent and paid to do a study like this - and coming back saying ' actually its not too bad over there - in fact in many situations it appears there is quite obvious sexism against men ' is precisely zero.

It's rather sad that the laudable aim of equal rights under the law has been transitioned into a warped desire to police us into a state of total androgyny, which if it were ever to succeed would be hellish for just about everyone.

I hate to be sexist, but I guess you're thinking what I'm thinking....B)

Is someone about to light a spliff?

Serious question, what do the women on here feel?

As a man, it's highly possible I don't appreciate and register some of the low level sexism that could be present. I notice some, and perhaps incorrectly I have thought that it was minor and in many cases just meant as jovial banter which can be seen also coming from women towards men, though perhaps my work and social circle aren't representative. Maybe this UN report reflects not so much Britain being sexist, but the political establishment in Britain which I have little inside knowledge that the UN interfaces with and presumably has a reasonable understanding of.

If the UN report was for all sectors of life in Britain then I am either very blind to it which is a worry and reflects poorly on me, or the report is a gross exageration when we see other countries out there where it is a crime to be raped being rated higher than Britain which devalues the fight against sexism.

To my mind the woman seemed to be confusing the fact that British schools and young people are highly sexualised with them being sexist. Old-fashioned feminist ideas about objectification, she doesn't seem to recognise that objectification has crossed the gender barrier now.

Any of our ladies (especially those with daughters) care to comment?

I hate to be sexist, but I guess you're thinking what I'm thinking....B)

1397576561255_wps_United_Nations_Special_Ra.jpg

Its like an ugly Clare Short before a nose job!

I agree though. We ought to get some Saudi mullahs over here to set us straight on sexism.