House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

StuG III

Anyone Built Their Own Pc?

Thinking off upgrading my current setup, possibly using a mix of new and 2nd hand parts.

How easy is this? Any pitfalls I should be aware of?

It's much easier than it used to be but you do have to know the capabilities of the motherboard! Particularly the amount of memory, and what sort, and what the graphics card slot is (AGP? PCI-express x X?) .

When all goes well it's not too different to putting a component hifi together. My last several machines have been home-built base units with all-new parts, because the bits are so cheap these days there isn't much to be saved by reusing existing bits.

I would suggest that CPU, motherboard and RAM go pretty much hand-in-hand and be upgraded together.

If you're planning a comedy high-end graphics card then watch out for both power and space requirements. Every should own at least one nvidia GTX card in their life - they are hilarious just to look at.

It's quite straight forward, just read the quick setup manual and everything now is colour co-ordinated and most things only fit in one hole....

Just make sure that the motherboard supports the CPU you buy and what the max memory configuration is. If it doesn't power up at first I've usually found it's the on/off power switch connector that hasn't been put on the correct pins.

I'd see if there is a youtube vid of someone putting one together, I watched my mate build one and the next time I got the parts I just put it together myself.

When all goes well it's not too different to putting a component hifi together. My last several machines have been home-built base units with all-new parts, because the bits are so cheap these days there isn't much to be saved by reusing existing bits.

I would suggest that CPU, motherboard and RAM go pretty much hand-in-hand and be upgraded together.

If you're planning a comedy high-end graphics card then watch out for both power and space requirements. Every should own at least one nvidia GTX card in their life - they are hilarious just to look at.

Yes, pretty much agree, and make sure you have the right slot, and enough power for the "hilarious graphic card" !

All you will have left of the original will be the beige case! :blink:

Thinking off upgrading my current setup, possibly using a mix of new and 2nd hand parts.

How easy is this? Any pitfalls I should be aware of?

It sounds like you have a plan or at least a notion. What are you thinking of doing and what PC hardware fiddling have you done to date?

might be cheaper to buy a proprietory box and add bits.

The danger here is you want to max out the video...and then its time to consider the power supply.

Make sure you get the right power supply unit to support the m/b and gfx card.

I'll not be needing a new graphic card now, since some daft bugger here talked me into buying a ukulele instead! ;)

might be cheaper to buy a proprietory box and add bits.

The danger here is you want to max out the video...and then its time to consider the power supply.

Quite. Thanks for the replies all. Just had a look at the vid card and it wants a 500W PSU and I only have 400W.....

I had wanted to upgrade the vid card, CPU, and add a case fan but its rather getting to the point of saying "meh, new system" and damn the bank balance :huh:

Problem is, every time I have touched the inside of computer before, things have rapidly gone wrong. I guess I am to hardware what Gordon Brown is to the economy.....

Quite. Thanks for the replies all. Just had a look at the vid card and it wants a 500W PSU and I only have 400W.....

I had wanted to upgrade the vid card, CPU, and add a case fan but its rather getting to the point of saying "meh, new system" and damn the bank balance :huh:

Problem is, every time I have touched the inside of computer before, things have rapidly gone wrong. I guess I am to hardware what Gordon Brown is to the economy.....

the issue with PSU is the weight.

Some claim high outputs but weigh nothing...making their continous output insufficient...so you processor gets less than it needs and the whole thing slows down to match.

heavy is usually better.

Some proprietory units ( i installed a compaq last week), have an external PSU that supplies simply 12v to a convertor...clearly, this type of unit wont be great with heavy duty video and gaming.

? :blink:

Go into "management", then ! :huh: You can get some reet good value pre-built systems! I guess you are a "gamer" and want especially good graphics! This is where your money will go and not the CPU! They eat the juice and you will want a good power supply! ;)

Let's see then...

Graphics card (probably the most expensive component if it has that power requirement), CPU (+ heatsink & fan), motherboard, memory, decent power supply ... That leaves hard drive, optical drive, case and sundries to make up a base unit.

I normally spend about a grand on the base unit for a decent gaming rig. Some people think I'm silly to spend that much and the cost-benefit curve doesn't support going much over that figure.

Firms like Scan or Overclockers sell CPU, RAM and motherboard kits that all work together - good if you are inexperienced at building your own PC.

I build my own desktops as I like silent PCs. Had a PC once that sounded like a 747 taking off so I went down the silent route after that.

Firms like Scan or Overclockers sell CPU, RAM and motherboard kits that all work together - good if you are inexperienced at building your own PC.

I build my own desktops as I like silent PCs. Had a PC once that sounded like a 747 taking off so I went down the silent route after that.

I had one like that too. I'd love to have been in the room when they tested the fan and went yep that sounds perfect, sorry what did you say I can't hear you over the noise.

Fractal R4 Case.

Corsair CX500 PSU

Asus P8Z77-V PRO Mobo

Intel 3770K

Crucial Ballistix RAM

250gb Crucial SSD.

Windows 7.

Tweaked flying music machine.

Built mine last summer for the first time.

No grief whatsoever.

If i can do it so can you.

I had one like that too. I'd love to have been in the room when they tested the fan and went yep that sounds perfect, sorry what did you say I can't hear you over the noise.

My Vaio laptop sounds like a hoover. Ive cleaned it out 3 times and its ok for about a week then....WHHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOSHHHH SQUAAAAAAAAWWWWK.

Just flogged an 06 Intel imac this afternoon, was sad to see it go.

Great machine.

Yeh, I have also had a tumble dryer PC. I didnt realise how awful it was until I got my next one and it was like "omg quiet!"

There seem to be some decent custom built offerings out there ranging from £525-£625.

I need a decent card as the game I'm playing at the moment means my current card only just keeps up, but it wont keep up with the constant stream of patches and updates... I'm already below 25fps and the side of the case is actually hot to the touch! :ph34r: Has to be an AMD/ATI as the developers have some grudge against Nvidia owners so I'm going for an R9 270X as best bang for my buck.

I might just get one built instead of faffing about and ruining everything.....

That reminds me of my old Pentium D powered system, we never had the radiator turned on in the in the study as the thing used to chuck out heat like an open fire :o .

That reminds me of my old Pentium D powered system, we never had the radiator turned on in the in the study as the thing used to chuck out heat like an open fire :o .

I have the same thing now. When gaming I sit in the study half naked and have to put on my shirt and fleece when I pop downstairs.

Here a spec from Scan that I put together. Thoughts?

128GB Sandisk Enterprise X110 2.5" SSD

2GB XFX Radeon R9 270X

ASUS H81M-PLUS MOBO

2 x 4GB Corsair RAM

500GB Seagate ST500DM002 Barracuda 7200

Corsair 450W VS PSU

On board sound

Intel Pentium G3220, S 1150, Haswell, Dual Core, 3.0GHz,

Samsung SH-224DB/BEBE 24x DVD±R, 8x DVD±DL, DVD+RW x8/-RW x6,

I have the same thing now. When gaming I sit in the study half naked and have to put on my shirt and fleece when I pop downstairs.

Here a spec from Scan that I put together. Thoughts?

128GB Sandisk Enterprise X110 2.5" SSD

2GB XFX Radeon R9 270X

ASUS H81M-PLUS MOBO ;)

2 x 4GB Corsair RAM

500GB Seagate ST500DM002 Barracuda 7200

Corsair 450W VS PSU

On board sound

Intel Pentium G3220, S 1150, Haswell, Dual Core, 3.0GHz,

Samsung SH-224DB/BEBE 24x DVD±R, 8x DVD±DL, DVD+RW x8/-RW x6,

Great CV Mr Stug! Do you want a job as a "data warehouse"? ;)

I do this frequently for clients, building capture PCs for digitizing archival photographs, audio and video. This usually takes the form of buying an off-the-shelf machine and upgrading it, but occasionally i will build from scratch; usually when the computer is for broadcast-standard video capture (e.g. from 1" or 3/4") and therefore needs a professional (e.g. Blackmagic) capture card, graphics card and a main processor working hard, all of which generate lots of heat and thus need a case with better airflow capabilities than mass-produced office PCs come wth. The main PC I use at home actually began life in 2007, but now consists of:

No-name Chinktastic case, but with six motherboard-controlled fans (bottom intake, front intake, side intake, processor, back exhaust, top exhaust)

Coolmax 1,000w power supply

Abit AB9 Pro Motherboard

Core 2 Quad processor

8GB DDR2 RAM

NVidia 9600 graphics card

Creative Audigy 2 sound card

1970s Quad valve amp and Wharfedale speakers

Combined wifi/Bluetooth card

2 x Dell 24" 1920x1080 monitors

4 x 3GB hard drives in a RAID for data storage

1 x 240GB SSD as a system volume

3 x BD-RW drives (one for each region)

Dual boots to Windows 7 Ultimate x64 and Ubuntu 12.10 x64. There was an XP partition, too, which was nuked last weekend for obvious reasons.

In terms of upgrading an existing production line computer, my main thought would be that if you're going to add any significant power-draining items to it, you'll almost certainly need to upgrade the power supply unit. An unstable current is a major source of BSODs, applications crashing or freezing unpredictably, etc. etc., and the power supply that comes with the machine will probably be of the bare minimum rating needed to power the factory spec peripherals. Adding significantly more power than you need will increase reliability and reduce stress on the motherboard components.