House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
interestrateripoff

Jobseekers To Get 50 Free Bikes Under £5,000 Sustrans Scheme

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-derbyshire-27023621

Jobseekers in Derby will be given free bikes refurbished by prisoners in a bid to help them find work.

Transport charity Sustrans will buy a bike, helmet and lights for 50 unemployed people in a scheme thought to be the first of its kind in the UK.

The £5,000 trial is funded by the city council's Connected initiative, aimed at encouraging alternatives to cars.

Al Ditheridge, from Sustrans, said he was "hopeful" more money would be granted to extend the scheme.

"Where affordability is an issue, bikes are cheap, they are cost-effective," he said.

It seems that people will be expected to follow in the footsteps of Norman Tebbit's father.

Free public transport might be more helpful.

Surprised 'prisoners' are refurbing bicycles that are then sold for £100 to the council. It's all a bit Shindlers List.

Surprised 'prisoners' are refurbing bicycles that are then sold for £100 to the council. It's all a bit Shindlers List.

It's a circular supply chain

Schindler went bankrupt though. Im sure the head honchos at suscams are making out nicely.

Schindler went bankrupt though. Im sure the head honchos at suscams are making out nicely.

I cancelled by subscription to suscams. They are more pro dog owner and seem to want cyclists to help pay for the linear dog toilets they run.

Sustrans operate a disused railway line near me and its 'cyclists must give way to this..." "cyclists must do that.." If must be the only f*ckin cycle route, which you are not allowed to cycle along! :lol:

Edited by aSecureTenant

Can they sue when they get flattened by lorry.

IDS would probably give the lorry driver a bonus for getting another unemployed pleb off the official figures for him.

Nothing impresses an Employer more than a chap turning up dripping in sweet, greasy hands, looking like he’s been through a wind tunnel. Failing to get the job you leave the interview. Only to find your transport has been nicked, a good 3hrs walk away from home.

I’ve been doing this commuting lark on a bike for a while. I would say when you take into account inner tubes, wheel damage (quite costly), clothing wear/rips, and brake pads on a good bike it really is not far off a monthly pass £57 (9 miles a day). Folding bike maintenance for me cost me more, mostly due to shoddy roads and kerbs, mixed with bad weather. Poodling along in the sunshine is a far cry from using a bike as your main form of transport. What about maintenance, tools are not cheap, i.e. the chain breaks?. If you mix in rush hour traffic its bloody dangerous, even if you stick to cycleways crossing traffic is very tricky. The only real advantage is a route where you cant get a bus. God help you if your on the road in rush hour.

Bought my first road worthy bike for £20 from a mate, so what is all this talk of £5000?

You get quite a few jobs advertised near me which state "own transport required." Because they are on some God awful trading estate in the middle of nowhere, where there is no public transport, or at a time when no bus's or trains don't run.

Why do bus's manage to avoid all industrial estates? If you want to shop they are fine. But to go work at 10.30 at night useless.

Whether you want to cycle to work, in the pitch dark, and have to navigate an M62 junction in the process is another matter.I think even Sir Brad would give it a miss.

Edited by aSecureTenant

I cancelled by subscription to suscams. They are more pro dog owner and seem to want cyclists to help pay for the linear dog toilets they run.

Sustrans operate a disused railway line near me and its 'cyclists must give way to this..." "cyclists must do that.." If must be the only f*ckin cycle route, which you are not allowed to cycle along! :lol:

Sustrans strike me as a disfunctional organisation. They have been singularly unsuccessful in getting people to walk and cycle more, and have managed to to get pisspoor and frankly dangerous infrastructure accepted as something local authorities should aspire to emulate.

I hate them - they are an enemy of cycling.

Sustrans strike me as a disfunctional organisation. They have been singularly unsuccessful in getting people to walk and cycle more, and have managed to to get pisspoor and frankly dangerous infrastructure accepted as something local authorities should aspire to emulate.

unavailability of bikes is not the reason why people don't cycle.

Nothing impresses an Employer more than a chap turning up dripping in sweet, greasy hands, looking like he's been through a wind tunnel. Failing to get the job you leave the interview. Only to find your transport has been nicked, a good 3hrs walk away from home.

I've been doing this commuting lark on a bike for a while. I would say when you take into account inner tubes, wheel damage (quite costly), clothing wear/rips, and brake pads on a good bike it really is not far off a monthly pass £57 (9 miles a day). Folding bike maintenance for me cost me more, mostly due to shoddy roads and kerbs, mixed with bad weather. Poodling along in the sunshine is a far cry from using a bike as your main form of transport. What about maintenance, tools are not cheap, i.e. the chain breaks?. If you mix in rush hour traffic its bloody dangerous, even if you stick to cycleways crossing traffic is very tricky. The only real advantage is a route where you cant get a bus. God help you if your on the road in rush hour.

Bought my first road worthy bike for £20 from a mate, so what is all this talk of £5000?

Get yourself some Schwalbe Marathon plus. Forget about punctures for the next 2 thousand miles. BIt heavy but well worth it.

Also go on youtube for an example of how to put them on. Otherwise they are a mare. Some old English boy with a beard is the one you want. Genius.

Get yourself some Schwalbe Marathon plus. Forget about punctures for the next 2 thousand miles. BIt heavy but well worth it.

Also go on youtube for an example of how to put them on. Otherwise they are a mare. Some old English boy with a beard is the one you want. Genius.

Or continental gatorskins

I'd rather use the roads, than a suscams cycle network which you are only allowed to cycle along veeerrrryyy slowly in case you upset a dog owner.

Edited by aSecureTenant

I always used Armadillos for my 12 mile e/w all weather, every day commute. Never had a puncture in years. They may have been a bit weighty - but for commuting it was a price I was willing to pay.

PS. I agree about Sustrans. In fact, just about any "cycling infrastructure" is a retrograde step from simply using the road that's there and that you've already paid for. And don't get me started about pavements with blue signs (and loads of peds and street furniture) right next to a perfectly good road!

+1. I got some a few years ago for a 10 mile a day commute. I've never looked back. They are absolutely worth every penny.

To save on brake blocks, get the slot-in type - these are a bit cheaper and much quicker to replace when you need to.

My bike cost me £150 second hand. It's a super lightweight Reynolds frame tourer and I spent about £200 upgrading the transmission to a racing type. It's very light and fast but looks like an old wreck, so chavs aren't interested in nicking it.

After about five years I had to get a new chain (although it should have had one sooner) and some work done on the gears which cost about £60.

Other maintenance etc I did myself and I can't think I can have spent more than £10 a month at most on it.

As for clothes, just wear old clothes to cycle in and change at work. Cycle at an easy pace and you won't need showers, which is another perennial moan of non-cyclists, 'I can't cycle there's no showers at work' winge winge...

At my first job, I used to live in Boscombe and cycle to Winton nearly every day. It was a few miles away, and a nice flat ride. Although I did have a banger BMW left at home ready to use in case it rained. Happy days!

+1. I got some a few years ago for a 10 mile a day commute. I've never looked back. They are absolutely worth every penny.

To save on brake blocks, get the slot-in type - these are a bit cheaper and much quicker to replace when you need to.

My bike cost me £150 second hand. It's a super lightweight Reynolds frame tourer and I spent about £200 upgrading the transmission to a racing type. It's very light and fast but looks like an old wreck, so chavs aren't interested in nicking it.

After about five years I had to get a new chain (although it should have had one sooner) and some work done on the gears which cost about £60.

Other maintenance etc I did myself and I can't think I can have spent more than £10 a month at most on it.

As for clothes, just wear old clothes to cycle in and change at work. Cycle at an easy pace and you won't need showers, which is another perennial moan of non-cyclists, 'I can't cycle there's no showers at work' winge winge...

You don't even need to change, really. Cycling is more efficient than walking. If you can't cycle gently for 20 or 30 minutes without breaking a sweat then you really have a health problem. And probably need to get some exercise.

Essential maintenance is pretty cheap on bikes. The problem lies in the non-essential items - and the desire to up-kit; everything and anything from exotic lighting through to bespoke luggage and waterproofs.

You don't even need to change, really. Cycling is more efficient than walking. If you can't cycle gently for 20 or 30 minutes without breaking a sweat then you really have a health problem. And probably need to get some exercise.

Essential maintenance is pretty cheap on bikes. The problem lies in the non-essential items - and the desire to up-kit; everything and anything from exotic lighting through to bespoke luggage and waterproofs.

Lidl and Aldi usually have periodic offers on cycling clothing too.

Nothing impresses an Employer more than a chap turning up dripping in sweet, greasy hands, looking like he’s been through a wind tunnel. Failing to get the job you leave the interview. Only to find your transport has been nicked, a good 3hrs walk away from home.

I’ve been doing this commuting lark on a bike for a while. I would say when you take into account inner tubes, wheel damage (quite costly), clothing wear/rips, and brake pads on a good bike it really is not far off a monthly pass £57 (9 miles a day). Folding bike maintenance for me cost me more, mostly due to shoddy roads and kerbs, mixed with bad weather. Poodling along in the sunshine is a far cry from using a bike as your main form of transport. What about maintenance, tools are not cheap, i.e. the chain breaks?. If you mix in rush hour traffic its bloody dangerous, even if you stick to cycleways crossing traffic is very tricky. The only real advantage is a route where you cant get a bus. God help you if your on the road in rush hour.

Mate of mine who is in/out of work quite regularly and has very little money as a consequence bought a bike off the scrap metal man doing his rounds for the princely sum of £8. A little bit of oil and spannering it works just fine. If that's what they call refurbishing esp. prisoners on token wages tgen I expect the company contracting out this work is doing ok out of the deal.