House Price Crash Forum

Uk Inflation Falls To 1.6% In March

HOLA441

Thank you for that, but I don't believe it.

I shop for food in a number of stores and it is higher than 10%.

I made a suggestion on this forum a few weeks back that HPCers could track a small basket of five or six items each month and the figures could be collated to give a more realistic figure.

The government constructs a low figure for electoral purposes. The BRC wants to make their members look more attractive to customers than they really are.

BTW how do you measure accurately the shrinking contents of cereal packages or the inflation implied by substituting meat by lower quality species?

I think your basket idea is a good one. I have listed eight items that we can't get reduced and I will come back to them in a few months. With more expensive items we tend change brands, use coupons or go to Lidl. Flora proactive, for example, never pay more than £3, paid £2.79 at Lidl this week (on offer) though the list price is £3.76, a bottle of red wine never more than £4. Fresh food like bread, fruit and vegetables always pay diddly squat for on the discount counter. Bread usually 20p a loaf.

Medium eggs 6..............0.89

Peanuts 200g.................0.48

Litre of milk skimmed.....0.57

1.5 kg self raising flour...0.45

Pilchards large tin 400g.1.09

Marmalade.....................0.27

Porridge oats 1kg...........0.75

Dried mixed fruit 500g....0.95

Total.......................... 5.45

Tesco price list 17th April 2014

Because we don't eat meat that might explain why I think food is cheap.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

HOLA442

But it's all just a sideshow. Being thinking on Smyth pointing out how the negative effects of HPI fall in such a concentrated manner on a certain portion of society. Take Brown's 2003 move from RPI to CPI (hence reducing the need to 'worry' or target HPI in order to control 'inflation'). It doesn't move 'inflation' that much, but torrid and unaddressed HPI produces a massive redistribution from those seeking to enter the UK housing Ponzi in favour or earlier entrants.

The authorities and their ever-compliant mass media were of course more than happy to trumpet the brief period in March/April 2009 when RPI went negative as being evidence of deflation though.

Of course, despite all the non-stop talk of deflation, the official (and heavily doctored downwards) CPI measure has at no time actually went negative since the crash and in fact has comfortably exceeded the 2% target for much of that time.

HOLA443

I just bought a usb3 1TB 2.5 inch external drive (Toshiba) for under €50. Didn't especially need one, but this is the first time I've seen one that cheap, and the prices seem to fluctuate, so it may be a while before it comes down to that level again.

But have you had one of the strangely delicious despite probably being made out of the same chipboard as the rest of their products hot dogs from Ikea recently? They seem to be more like hot puppies these days