House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Darkman

Dave Mustaine Has A Shocker With The San Diego Symphony

Dave Mustaine of Megadeth has a great rep for solid guitar solos and musicianship. Depending on your taste, Megadeth are an all time quality metal band. And yet....

Mustaine played a concert on the 14th with the San Diego Symphony, and there are many video clips of the event. Metal and classical are a tough match at the best of times, but this was an embarrassment. I don't know what Mustaine's issue was. It sounds like he just didn't know how to play the material. Either that or he was on something :o

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6sHwxjkGQcU

I'm pretty sure a whole orchestra has more music in it than one "metal guitarist", much that I like a bit of "metal" occasionally! :blink:

he must be sweating bullets

I hope he's not too pissed to find the toilet, and when he does, maybe hope gets his trousers down in time! :blink:

The best "metal" is usually 3 of 4 piece bands! And I am thinking Black Sabbath, or Led Zepeliin although they were more bluesy, but both bands did play well together!

What I don't get is why rock musicians bother with these symphonic collaborations? Surely everyone appreciates their greatness without them somehow having to prove their musicianship with a pointless cameo with a symphony orchestra?

Ritchie gives the orchestra a go with slightly better sound.

Yeah, and here he is a year later with just a fantastic keyboard player (and Roger Glover) backing him up:

http://youtu.be/7pqKKxijKNA

I'd call that an improvement personally! :)

And if anyone wants to persue this ridiculous classical vs metal nonsense I could compare Stravinski's Rite of Spring to Judas Priest's Painkiller- both quite offensive to the ear initially, both utterly brilliant!

The problem here is two fold.

Firstly he is attempting to play something written specifically for a very different instrument, while they look the same the method to playing is significantly different. While you can play all the notes on both instruments, it is achieved in a different way.

It sounds a bit of a mess because he can't get the notes out fast enough, not because he isn't technically proficient but because the method of playing, especially the fast parts is different.

Secondly he should know this and stop trying to be such a show off.

What I don't get is why rock musicians bother with these symphonic collaborations? Surely everyone appreciates their greatness without them somehow having to prove their musicianship with a pointless cameo with a symphony orchestra?

Yeah, and here he is a year later with just a fantastic keyboard player (and Roger Glover) backing him up:

http://youtu.be/7pqKKxijKNA

I'd call that an improvement personally! :)

And if anyone wants to persue this ridiculous classical vs metal nonsense I could compare Stravinski's Rite of Spring to Judas Priest's Painkiller- both quite offensive to the ear initially, both utterly brilliant!

It`s two years earlier, from this concert? The orchestra was for Rainbow`s last ever gig ( they reformed in the 90`s) before Blackmore (and Glover) went back into Deep Purple (Glover is still there) I think the keyboard player was there to the end, but the drummer is different for the orchestra gig. Later he and this keyboard player worked for Billy Joel I think, and the drummer, Chuck Burgi, was with them again when I saw Rainbow during the 90`s.

Hmm some interesting opinions here :)

I think it's clear Mustaine wasn't able to play the pieces. Yes he had a bad tone, and yes they were written for another instrument.

Irrelevant.

To hear a musician who can play classical on an electric, just look up Malmsteen with an orchestra. That guy can actually play the parts required. The issue here is ability.

As a spectacle, I'm not a fan of rock guitarists trying to show off by playing classical with an orchestra anyway. Malmsteen copied the concept from Blackmore no doubt, and then took it to it's ultimate level.

Frankly it's an embarrassment for Mustaine. He's a good player in his own area of expertise, but I always assumed (correctly) that he is no prodigy. The likes of Friedman, Gilbert and even Steve Vai might have handled this. Mustaine hit some horrific bum notes and his timing was all over the place. I just don't know how the conductor managed to get through it without quitting :D

Here's how it's really done.......

Hmm some interesting opinions here :)

I think it's clear Mustaine wasn't able to play the pieces. Yes he had a bad tone, and yes they were written for another instrument.

Frankly it's an embarrassment for Mustaine. He's a good player in his own area of expertise, but I always assumed (correctly) that he is no prodigy. The likes of Friedman, Gilbert and even Steve Vai might have handled this. Mustaine hit some horrific bum notes and his timing was all over the place.

Here's how it's really done.......

It's called Jazz! :blink:

And even better.....

Yes, super talented, but there are clips of even him going right up his own bum though, one with an acoustic guitar in what seems like a smaller gig comes to mind? Brilliant, can just imagine him and that orchestra getting pissed up in the pub later :lol:

Yes, super talented, but there are clips of even him going right up his own bum though, one with an acoustic guitar in what seems like a smaller gig comes to mind? Brilliant, can just imagine him and that orchestra getting pissed up in the pub later :lol:

Well, one of my good friends plays the :huh: Cello, and he's a right beer monster!

So, I reckon a good orchestra could drink a pub dry in 2 hours!

I hate to break it to everyone, but the video is not genuine. The way his hands are moving on the neck of the guitar does not correspond to what he is playing. It's more pronounced towards the end of the video if you look carefully..

I hate to break it to everyone, but the video is not genuine. The way his hands are moving on the neck of the guitar does not correspond to what he is playing. It's more pronounced towards the end of the video if you look carefully..

Hate to break it to you while you're breaking it to everyone, but the video is absolutely genuine. And there are plenty of others just like it showing other parts of the "performance", all equally embarrassing.

Speaking as a guitar player, you can tell it's real partly because the attempts he's making are beyond the capability of your average joe guitarist. He almost succeeds. Sadly for him though (and a paying audience), he definitely didn't.

It's called Jazz! :blink:

Ahh, the oldest comedy excuse in rock guitar history B)

Yes, Malmsteen plays too fast too often. It's a shame because otherwise he'd be 100 times more popular and his talent would reach a wider audience. When he does slow down though, the result is often very beautiful.

Hate to break it to you while you're breaking it to everyone, but the video is absolutely genuine. And there are plenty of others just like it showing other parts of the "performance", all equally embarrassing.

Speaking as a guitar player, you can tell it's real partly because the attempts he's making are beyond the capability of your average joe guitarist. He almost succeeds. Sadly for him though (and a paying audience), he definitely didn't.

i just watched it again and I think you are probably right. I didn't want to believe it as it sounded like one of those "shred" videos from a few years back. I was a big Megadeth fan in my much younger years...not now though, It all sounds a bit childish... but this...is.....awful! It sounds like one of those teenage guitarists trying to impress his friends having just spent six months trying to learn the most impossible solo that's way beyond his capabilities.

He must have been drunk or completely lost his mind. He was never that bad a guitar player. A competent amateur could play what he's trying to play. Honestly, I would give it a better crack than he did with 1 month of practice.

Extremely painful to watch.

Yngwie Malmsteen is good at some of this but even he struggles with the wrong feel sometimes. There's a clip of him doing he version of Bach's Air on a G string and although it's pleasant enough in a bedroom guitar player way, it's awful overall.

Dave Mustaine of Megadeth has a great rep for solid guitar solos and musicianship. Depending on your taste, Megadeth are an all time quality metal band. And yet....

Mustaine played a concert on the 14th with the San Diego Symphony, and there are many video clips of the event. Metal and classical are a tough match at the best of times, but this was an embarrassment. I don't know what Mustaine's issue was. It sounds like he just didn't know how to play the material. Either that or he was on something ohmy.gif

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6sHwxjkGQcU

I've probably watched This Is Spinal Tap 25 times but next time I do, I'm going to enjoy it all the more for having watched this clip. Thanks for posting.