House Price Crash Forum

Shelter Says 4M Families 'on Financial Knife-Edge'

HOLA441

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-27015809

Some 3.8 million families are one month from homelessness because they have enough money to pay their rent or mortgage for only a month if they lose their jobs, a housing charity has said.

Shelter, which surveyed 7,500 people, said high housing costs and stagnating wages meant many were living on a financial knife-edge.

It wants the government to provide better short-term support.

The government said it already provides support in housing benefit.

In a statement, the Department for Work and Pensions (DWP) said it spent £94bn a year on benefits to provide a safety net for millions of people who are on low incomes or unemployed.

This includes about £24bn a year on housing benefit which the DWP said had gone up by 50% over the past 10 years.

I wonder if that's because they've stretched themselves to rent/buy and can't afford to save? Secondly I wonder how many of these people are under 40 and have never had to save because they've always had access to easy credit.

HOLA442
HOLA443

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-27015809

I wonder if that's because they've stretched themselves to rent/buy and can't afford to save? Secondly I wonder how many of these people are under 40 and have never had to save because they've always had access to easy credit.

The whole Ponzi scam is slowly but surely unravelling. A bad ending is inevitable.

HOLA444

They've also had the experience of near-zero wage inflation, coupled with the cultural expectation that you should buy the biggest house you can, assuming that the payments get easier over time.

HOLA445

They've also had the experience of near-zero wage inflation, coupled with the cultural expectation that you should buy the biggest house you can, assuming that the payments get easier over time.

Shelter have done lots to make the situation worse, in my opinion. They help to create homelesness so their reason for existence continues.

They introduced more regulation for example in Newham. This resulted in landlords being registered and these costs passed onto the rental market. Why landlords need to be registered is completley ridicilous, the rental market has operated pretty well over the last 2000 years !

On top of that one flat we gave them to them for rental with guarantees etc and we ended up with piss and shit on the walls -- and they did not make good the guarantee... so lesson learnt - never ever rent your propetty to a homeless person.

HOLA446
HOLA447