House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Are The Polish Moving Out?

I was walking through a town on the south coast yesterday, which has long been popular with eastern Europeans. I noticed a shop selling workwear (high vis jackets, rigger boots etc) had half a dozen well used power tools for sale in the window too (they were covered in paint etc). Also in the window of the Polski supermarket were 20 or so adverts for second hand sofas.

Does this mean people are packing up and heading home, or just short of cash due to a slump in trade?

I was walking through a town on the south coast yesterday, which has long been popular with eastern Europeans. I noticed a shop selling workwear (high vis jackets, rigger boots etc) had half a dozen well used power tools for sale in the window too (they were covered in paint etc). Also in the window of the Polski supermarket were 20 or so adverts for second hand sofas.

Does this mean people are packing up and heading home, or just short of cash due to a slump in trade?

Could be, lets face it the employment situation and exchange rate is no longer in their favour?

Closing of Polish supermarkets might be a sure sign, but there may be an oversupply anyway - I often see 2 on one high street. Plus the big boys tend to have more Polish brands in stock recently so that could eat into the little guys while suggesting demand is good.

Polish supermarkets make a big chunk of the black market for tobacco, so if they go the economy collapses and we'll be looking for a bailout from Warsaw.

This is clearly evidence that they are upgrading their power tools and buying high end sofas to replace the original ones they bought several years ago.

The Poles are doing great and even more will now come.

Same evidence, equally valid, yet opposite, interpretation of it.

This is clearly evidence that they are upgrading their power tools and buying high end sofas to replace the original one they bought several years ago.

The Poles are doing great and even more will now come.

Same evidence, equally valid yet opposite interpretation of it.

Hmmm, I haven't yet seen an affluent looking Pole in this area.... they obviously hide their wealth well! :)

I'm in a small town in SW Scotland. Used to be everytime I went into town I would hear Polish people talking but now there just doesn't seem to be so many of them about.

Off topic - Is that your hiace on your avatar? I have a toyota hiace campervan :)

Off topic - Is that your hiace on your avatar? I have a toyota hiace campervan :)

Ha ha no :) We hired one in Oz a couple of years back and I fell in love with them.... maybe one day :)

Hmmm, I haven't yet seen an affluent looking Pole in this area.... they obviously hide their wealth well! :)

Obviously the wealthy ones do not hang out where you do!

Down South we have an influx of Spanish (solar) and German (wind) workers at the moment.

They are spending loads of money on equipment.

The Polish around here are as down trodden as the locals. :lol:

There doesnt seem to be a sudden large vacancy of houses in the fens, so unless some one else has replaced them, i dont think theyve all gone.

Certainly less polish reg plated cars about than a couple of years ago, but maybe theyve just replaced them with UK registered ones.

About 2007/2008 pubs/clubs in east anglia were swarming with them, mostly young/single types, maybe theyve settled down with families now so less visible.

Or maybe poles have been replaced with lithuanians.

I dont know. Either theyre still here or been replaced with someone. I dont see that much more non-whites than 5 or 6 years ago, so must be replaced with other europeans. In cambridge itself it seems full of italians/french last year or so.