House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
winkie

World's Top 20 Places For The Good Life.

....What makes for an ideal place to live? The people and community, the quality of life, cost of living, the scenery, the weather, safety and security, best for family life, health, education, the work life balance, self sufficiency, the freedom to roam. ;)

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/property/internationalproperty/10710665/Worlds-top-20-places-for-the-good-life.html?frame=2857856

Yes, I'm not sure my idea of the good life is the same as the Telegraph's.

Certainly not for a Tom and Barbara good life.

More let's take 40 years of magic equity gains and a couple of final salary pensions with us good life.

Just a property ramping exercise sponsored by agents and developers who bought units of property in now declining "hotspots"?

Ignore the buying, property ramping bit.......what about renting, try before you buy or return home. ;)

Yes, I'm not sure my idea of the good life is the same as the Telegraph's.

Wide variety of places....from good, ok, to wouldn't want to go there. ;)

Certainly not for a Tom and Barbara good life.

More let's take 40 years of magic equity gains and a couple of final salary pensions with us good life.

The biggest barrier for many would be the language. ;)

Yep, big difference between what may be objectively 'best' and what would work for you. As I only speak English and am uncomfortable in much hotter or colder weather (so no Australia) my options are limited. Don't fancy the politics of US.

New Zealand looks nice

I love the Telegraph selection of homes, most of them costing millions.

What percentage of even their readership can afford those?

It's a long established ramping ruse.......Plebs shown nothing but multi-million pound properties in a drip drip brainwashing propaganda feed see value in £250,000 studio flat hovels.

Quite an eclectic choice from the Telegraph. For France we have Brittany, Gascony, Paris and Courchevel. Not sure I'd want to live in Courchevel much, it must be pretty dead for 6-7 months of the year, full of Russians the rest of the time. Paris, went back recently (I lived there for 5 years in the late 90s) and it is a bit dead these days - seems to be full of very very old people and gays in certain yuppie districts like the 4th (that is where the Torygraph proposes you buy a flat). Lyon might have been a better choice, seems to be a lot more ready cash around compared to Paris and it is both close to the coast and the Alps; at least compared to Paris which is a northern town far from pretty much anything. Brittany - well if you like biblical rains and flooding it might be an idea - funny how the wettest part of France also has cycling as its national sport. Gacony? it is very hot and humid, Bordeaux to the north would be a good choice.

Just a property ramping exercise sponsored by agents and developers who bought units of property in now declining "hotspots"?

Exactly, what bad journalism. After that we have the comment section where more agents and people that live in the areas are ramping.

Probably anywhere not mentioned in an article in the British media whose idea of best places to live revolve around having everything that Brits have in the UK with added sunshine,