House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Kurt Barlow

Nissan Qashqai / Dualis

Me and the OH have decided to sell our respective cars (Corolla and Yaris) and get a better car between us as we only need one. Whilst I'd happily go for a decent medium size hatch it appears that a Chelsea Tractor SUV is the preferred choice :rolleyes:

Anyone have experience of the Nissan Qashqai (Dualis)? If I have to contribute towards buying such a vehicle they appear to be one of the few SUV's with 6 speed manual and reasonable fuel economy. UK manufactured so supporting the home economy too.

We don't need AWD or 4x4 as neither of us interested in long outback trips (dull as....).

Those of us who actually live in the countryside, who - maybe once in a decade - struggle a little to get to the local Sainsbury's thanks to snowfall and ice - think really carefully about their choice of car and look for something exceptional that can make it across fields and streams with no hassle. A car that can go where no conventional vehicle can. Always worth planning for those exceptional circumstances :)

Actually, that's total ******. In this village one person has a Land Rover. Everyone else just puts the shopping in the front foot-well as opposed to the boot (front wheel drive), and driven sensibly and slowly, it makes it up and down the icy roads just fine. This isn't the Lake District.

These "urban off roaders" designed for "the outback" make me giggle.What "outback"?

You get different cars in Australia! No Idea what' on offer! A Holden ute springs to mind! You can get so much beer in the back and a few sheep. Do you really need "off road abilities" or just space to carry stuff?

These "urban off roaders" designed for "the outback" make me giggle.What "outback"?

You won't get far "off road" with 22 inch alloys, and low profile tyres! And you might get mud on it? :unsure:

Kia sportage ? Nice motors and good value.

Ps - buying a car with the Iranian beauty eh ;)

The lady would probably want a Hillman Hunter. They were assembled in Iran for years! :huh:

Apologies for breaking up the thread with an actual review!

My gf has a 2WD 2.0 one, had had it for over two years and very happy with it. Car-like to drive, nice high seating position and whilst it looks big it's actually no bigger floorplan than a car (my smaller looking hatch is longer).

Downsides (minor):

because it's not that big then nor is the boot so you can't get much in

couple of minor trim issues (steering wheel cover cracked)

as it is a big heavy car the fuel economy on winding and undulating roads is way worse than that publicisied, tho fine on long flat runs.

I think that was what the chap was looking for!

I confess I know a lot more about Hillman Hunters! ;)

You get different cars in Australia! No Idea what' on offer! A Holden ute springs to mind! You can get so much beer in the back and a few sheep. Do you really need "off road abilities" or just space to carry stuff?

I noticed that in Australia at least 33% of cars were Landcruisers.

How about a Volvo V40? (my other car). Great fuel consumption (over 60mpg on a recent 1200 mile round trip to Scotland), zero tax for the D2 and great traction control even on the 2WD versions.

Me and the OH have decided to sell our respective cars (Corolla and Yaris) and get a better car between us as we only need one. Whilst I'd happily go for a decent medium size hatch it appears that a Chelsea Tractor SUV is the preferred choice :rolleyes:

Anyone have experience of the Nissan Qashqai (Dualis)? If I have to contribute towards buying such a vehicle they appear to be one of the few SUV's with 6 speed manual and reasonable fuel economy. UK manufactured so supporting the home economy too.

We don't need AWD or 4x4 as neither of us interested in long outback trips (dull as....).

If you can persuade her to wait a little while the Honda Vezel will be available. It's coming to Oz before Europe. It's available in Japan now.

Prettier than the Qashqai, latest hybrid tech with superb economy, 4wd if you need but doesn't lose economy if you don't.

How about a Volvo V40? (my other car). Great fuel consumption (over 60mpg on a recent 1200 mile round trip to Scotland), zero tax for the D2 and great traction control even on the 2WD versions.

I know you a big fan of Landcruisers! You should never drive to Scotland! It is dangerous! Have you never seen "Game of Thrones"? :blink:

My gf has a 2WD 2.0 one, had had it for over two years and very happy with it. Car-like to drive, nice high seating position and whilst it looks big it's actually no bigger floorplan than a car (my smaller looking hatch is longer).

Downsides (minor):

because it's not that big then nor is the boot so you can't get much in

couple of minor trim issues (steering wheel cover cracked)

as it is a big heavy car the fuel economy on winding and undulating roads is way worse than that publicisied, tho fine on long flat runs.

Thanks Frank

I have warned the Shahbanu that as she will mostly be using the vehicle she would be responsible for fuel purchases which would be somewhat higher than her 1.8L Corolla. The alternative, the RAV 4 has the same engine as the Camry which is a rather thirsty 2.4 lump. However most journeys here are long flat runs!

I'd like something that we can stick a bike carrier on the back. Other than that our load carrying requirements are fairly light.

If you can persuade her to wait a little while the Honda Vezel will be available. It's coming to Oz before Europe. It's available in Japan now.

Prettier than the Qashqai, latest hybrid tech with superb economy, 4wd if you need but doesn't lose economy if you don't.

problem with Hondas here is that you normally have to wait 6 weeks for parts in WA (Wait Awhile). I

Also I don't want brand new - she learnt to drive in Tehran ;)

I could suggest but likely to be rejected - purely on grounds of brand snobbery (same with Hyundai).

I could suggest but likely to be rejected - purely on grounds of brand snobbery (same with Hyundai).

Show her a pic of one ? Its rather pretty.

Not to say most burds can be swayed by that :D

My pal got one for his bird and likes it a lot.

Those of us who actually live in the countryside, who - maybe once in a decade - struggle a little to get to the local Sainsbury's thanks to snowfall and ice - think really carefully about their choice of car and look for something exceptional that can make it across fields and streams with no hassle. A car that can go where no conventional vehicle can. Always worth planning for those exceptional circumstances :)

Actually, that's total ******. In this village one person has a Land Rover. Everyone else just puts the shopping in the front foot-well as opposed to the boot (front wheel drive), and driven sensibly and slowly, it makes it up and down the icy roads just fine. This isn't the Lake District.

Good post, you had me going with the first paragraph.

And yes, I went around Australia on a Suzuki T500, only occasionally did I hit a pile of `pull dust` which I had to push my way out of. (this was before they tarred the main roads).

I suspect that what the OP`s post is about is good old materialism!

I`ve never seen the boot of the wife`s Mazda 2 anything like full! (Kurt...a Mazda 2 will take you where you want to go....especially around Cambridgeshire!)

Good post, you had me going with the first paragraph.

And yes, I went around Australia on a Suzuki T500, only occasionally did I hit a pile of `pull dust` which I had to push my way out of. (this was before they tarred the main roads).

I suspect that what the OP`s post is about is good old materialism!

I`ve never seen the boot of the wife`s Mazda 2 anything like full! (Kurt...a Mazda 2 will take you where you want to go....especially around Cambridgeshire!)

Well we don't need two cars as I get the train to work. It makes sense to combine resources and get one car - so one set of insurance, annual registration, servicing etc.

We don't go off road - the camping & fishing scene isn't for us.

Not surprising since 400% of the population are sheep.

Thanks Frank

I have warned the Shahbanu that as she will mostly be using the vehicle she would be responsible for fuel purchases which would be somewhat higher than her 1.8L Corolla. The alternative, the RAV 4 has the same engine as the Camry which is a rather thirsty 2.4 lump. However most journeys here are long flat runs!

I'd like something that we can stick a bike carrier on the back. Other than that our load carrying requirements are fairly light.

I was going to ask about engines in Oz. I can only echo Frank's experience although that's from hire cars not ownership and the 1.6 petrol engine which is weedy and thirsty. The QQ developed into a nice car, the newer the better IMHO. The new one looks very smart.

The previous RAV is a nice car but the 2.4 might put me off if I was doing lots of miles.

If I was looking new/nearly new my good experience of Mazda would point me in the direction of the cx5.

Although your load requirements don't seem to need anything beyond the existing corolla. The Auris is meh but does a job, I never liked the spaceship Civic, I like the Mazda 3.

I was going to ask about engines in Oz. I can only echo Frank's experience although that's from hire cars not ownership and the 1.6 petrol engine which is weedy and thirsty. The QQ developed into a nice car, the newer the better IMHO. The new one looks very smart.

The previous RAV is a nice car but the 2.4 might put me off if I was doing lots of miles.

If I was looking new/nearly new my good experience of Mazda would point me in the direction of the cx5.

Although your load requirements don't seem to need anything beyond the existing corolla. The Auris is meh but does a job, I never liked the spaceship Civic, I like the Mazda 3.

Aussies have an obsession with large engines. They look at me strangely when I tell them that for 2 people travelling my 1.3 litre / 80KW Yaris engine is perfectly adequate for any tarmacked road in Australia

TBH Id prefer to spent say $20K on a 2 year old Hyundai i45 rather than $28K on a nearly new Sports SUV.

I know you a big fan of Landcruisers! You should never drive to Scotland! It is dangerous! Have you never seen "Game of Thrones"? :blink:

No. I haven't been initiated into Game of Thrones, though it's been threatened.

I always drive to Scotland, because if I fly, I get stuck in the back seat of my Auntie's Ka to get around there. Car hire is extortionate there. :rolleyes: