House Price Crash Forum

George Osborne Warns City To Prepare For Turmoil Over Russia Sanctions And Interest Rate Rises

HOLA441
  • Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

HOLA442
HOLA443
HOLA444
HOLA445

I'm guessing they plan to increase rates as a financial weapon to further undermine the Rouble. And if oil prices collapse as well, it would counteract any "adverse" economic effects.

Surely they realise that Putin will put the price of gas up in the autumn or simply turn off the gas supply - so if they wish to collapse the Russian economy and get rid of Putin they need to do it sooner than later?

My fear is that they underestimate Putin and probably have not thought about next winter.

HOLA446
HOLA447
HOLA448
HOLA449

My fear is that they underestimate Putin and probably have not thought about next winter.

Definitey, possibly.

Obviously I don't really know the details of the EU's dependence on Russian gas, tough I realise it is significant. But it seems sometimes that it turns out to be not as difficult as you'd think, to switch energy sources. We had the miners's strike, the Japanese had Fukishima (and temproarily closed some/al their nuear power stations ?), the Russians/Ukrainians had Chernobyl.

Recently in Germany, there has beem a lot of talk about mothballing certain powerstations, as the new renewable energy sources make them reduntant, but that could be reversed. I bet the nuclear powerstations could be cranked up a bit. And I think it's actualy only the last few years tat we've been relying on Russian gas, so we just need to go back to whatever we were doing previously.

I realise that is all wishy wash speculation and obviously I have no idea really, but generaly things like this seem to turn out to be not as difficult as the projections. And anyway, I heat my flat with coal, so I'll be alright

Of course, it'd be a different case for the Ukrainians. They'd be f##ked

HOLA4410

Definitey, possibly.

Obviously I don't really know the details of the EU's dependence on Russian gas, tough I realise it is significant. But it seems sometimes that it turns out to be not as difficult as you'd think, to switch energy sources. We had the miners's strike, the Japanese had Fukishima (and temproarily closed some/al their nuear power stations ?), the Russians/Ukrainians had Chernobyl.

Recently in Germany, there has beem a lot of talk about mothballing certain powerstations, as the new renewable energy sources make them reduntant, but that could be reversed. I bet the nuclear powerstations could be cranked up a bit. And I think it's actualy only the last few years tat we've been relying on Russian gas, so we just need to go back to whatever we were doing previously.

I realise that is all wishy wash speculation and obviously I have no idea really, but generaly things like this seem to turn out to be not as difficult as the projections. And anyway, I heat my flat with coal, so I'll be alright

Of course, it'd be a different case for the Ukrainians. They'd be f##ked

The Japanese govt is now talking about restarting their nuke plants, something they'd only do in a crisis. If I had to guess I'd say the central bank mafia has begun preparing for a 70s style energy shock.

HOLA4411
HOLA4412

Maybe he is thinking if our energy supplies like gas are reduced, then prices will rocket and create higher inflation. Then rates rise in response to inflation (though they didn't in 2010/2011 RPI 5%+ and base rate 0.5%).

Energy crisis = deflationary shock, at least in the short term. It's the central bank responding to the economic downturn with looser money that's responsible for the subsequent inflation.

HOLA4413
HOLA4414

Surely they realise that Putin will put the price of gas up in the autumn or simply turn off the gas supply - so if they wish to collapse the Russian economy and get rid of Putin they need to do it sooner than later?

Think i'm going to go ahead and snap up some Norgie gas shares as you suggested a while back.

What were the companies again?

Maersk was it?

HOLA4415
HOLA4416

Yes, i think you are right the yanks are going to up the ante which is not going to be good for the city, this will affect the money that is coming in.

There is always a silver lining of course :P, but I think America`s Achilles Heel has long been the psychological need to be seen as the biggest dog on the block with the biggest pissing stick, whatever the consequences that come of it.

HOLA4417

Think i'm going to go ahead and snap up some Norgie gas shares as you suggested a while back.

What were the companies again?

Maersk was it?

Had forgotten about MT`s recommendation there, might be the way to go I think?

If you are reading MT, you mentioned a couple of company names in reply to one of my posts a while back, can`t find the post though. Would you mind posting again?

Edited by dances with sheeple

HOLA4418

We've been told that interest rates will go up by a a couple of percent at the most over a few years, its hardly a need to brace ourselves.

The EU arent going to overstep the mark with the Russians being as Russia supplies Germany with most its gas.

The couple of percent was before all the Ukraine/Crimea stuff and the talk of economic sanctions - effectively economic war again.

If interest rates are used as economic sanction then the small numbers won't apply anymore. High interest rates helped the Western powers in the economic/cold war with Soviet Russia and interest rates only starting to fall around the time of the Soviet break up and the demolition of the Berlin wall so it's possible they are thinking along the same lines now.

It was notable that Osborne was only expressing concern about the "City" when saying they would have to brace themselves - by implication any hardships due to big interest rate rises being far more than relatively small numbers would just have to be endured by the average person. Like the last time.

Especially those who have stretched themselves financially encouraged by being told interest rates will not rise by much.

The UK wouldn't have much real say in the matter if the US decided/has decided on that course of action. The eu might object but it's unlikely it would influence US policy.

Edited by billybong

HOLA4419

"We all need to be ready for an increased level of volatility in line with historic trends," Mr Osborne said on Friday.

That's also an interesting remark as historically UK interest rates have been much more volatile compared to say the US and Germany. Zig zagging to cope with "events" and elections.

HOLA4420

I'll the dig the names out and repost them.

Putin is a cunning sod. I reckon he will let things go quiet over a lovely hot European summer and the, when everyone thinks we are one big happy family again, he will simply cut the supply.

I have been reading up about him - there are some interesting stories about him by those who met him.

One is a story told by one of the people who has won the superbowl in the US and how Putin allegedly asked to look at his superbowl winner's ring - something that is very rare and much prized - before allegedly simply pocketing it and walking out of the room without saying anything. Now, if that wasn't a message I don't know what is.

It certainly says a great deal about his mentality. Take what you want.

Another story is from George W. Bush and how Putin allegedly ridiculed the dog that Bubba had at the White House. When Bubba visited the Kremlin Putin allegedly brought a large dog into the room and told Bush that he owned a real dog. A proud dog owner or someone hang up in a macho mindset where even the size of a dog is considered strength or a weakness?

I don't think Putin is a man to cross and, like a Klingon, I suspect he believes that revenge is a dish best served cold. I think he will lull weak Western leaders into a false sense of security over the summer and then shaft all 500 million of us come the Autumn.

HOLA4421

The couple of percent was before all the Ukraine/Crimea stuff and the talk of economic sanctions - effectively economic war again.

If interest rates are used as economic sanction then the small numbers won't apply anymore. High interest rates helped the Western powers in the economic/cold war with Soviet Russia and interest rates only starting to fall around the time of the Soviet break up and the demolition of the Berlin wall so it's possible they are thinking along the same lines now.

It was notable that Osborne was only expressing concerned about the "City" when saying they would have to brace themselves - by implication any hardships due to big interest rate rises being far more than relatively small numbers would just have to be endured by the average person. Like the last time.

Especially those who have stretched themselves financially encouraged by being told interest rates will not rise by much.

The UK wouldn't have much real say in the matter if the US decided/has decided on that course of action. The eu might object but it's unlikely it would influence US policy.

A few American talking heads on TV lately saying that the way to really make Russia hurt, and damage Putin politically, is to pile on the economic pressure. Military action is out of the question, but it seems that the US can`t just let this slide, so interesting few months ahead. Wonder if rates slipping upwards, even slightly, could be the trigger for a UK HPC?

HOLA4422

A few American talking heads on TV lately saying that the way to really make Russia hurt, and damage Putin politically, is to pile on the economic pressure. Military action is out of the question, but it seems that the US can`t just let this slide, so interesting few months ahead. Wonder if rates slipping upwards, even slightly, could be the trigger for a UK HPC?

They'll find an excuse to bring in further support measures for mortgage borrowers.

HOLA4423
HOLA4424
HOLA4425

Have you researched these companies, or do you have some other feeling/information about them?

http://seekingalpha.com/symbol/STO - Statoil is the largest operator on the Norwegian continental shelf, with 60% of the total production.

http://www.maerskoil.com/pages/default.aspx - Gas production is up to some 1 billion cubic feet per day.

Both companies have vast global oil and gas production.