House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

@contradevian

Rip Sue Townsend

I read the first Adrian Mole diary when I was teenager. I enjoyed it back then, but pretty much forgot about it. Then years later someone bought me one of her later books - Adrian Mole: The Cappuccino Years - which I read in my late thirties and which I thoroughly enjoyed. Clever, astute; the humour is unexpectedly sharp and fresh.

RIP Sue Townsend.

1397285285[/url]' post='1102499538']

I read the first Adrian Mole diary when I was teenager. I enjoyed it back then, but pretty much forgot about it. Then years later someone bought me one of her later books - Adrian Mole: The Cappuccino Years - which I read in my late thirties and which I thoroughly enjoyed. Clever, astute; the humour is unexpectedly sharp and fresh.

RIP Sue Townsend.

I read all of the Adrian Mole books over the years and enjoyed growing up and growing older with him. Like SB I enjoyed the Queen and I and Queen Camilla. Mr B bought me The Woman Who Went To Bed For A Year the Christmas before last. It wasn't my favourite but there were some fabulous parts that resonated with me. There aren't many authors where I've read the majority of their work but Sue Townsend was one. RIP.

I wanted to know what a 50 year old, Alderman Mole would be up to. Sadly we shall never know. :huh:

I wanted to know what a 50 year old, Alderman Mole would be up to. Sadly we shall never know. :huh:

BTL empire. A divorce, two bankruptcies and a short jail term behind him. Up for a gong on the New Year's Honours list.

BTL empire. A divorce, two bankruptcies and a short jail term behind him. Up for a gong on the New Year's Honours list.

Ah ah! Somebody worth voting for? :o;)

I imagine that smoking rates amongst novelists are higher than average.

Well Sue Townsend dying not very old was due to her battling diabetes for many years, and yeah, I see a pattern of rough habits and ill health amongst a relatively large number of writers who really struggle to live past the age of 65 (I was genuinely saddened by Iain Banks' premature passing, but it sounded like he liked his smokes, coke, and booze).

Well Sue Townsend dying not very old was due to her battling diabetes for many years, and yeah, I see a pattern of rough habits and ill health amongst a relatively large number of writers who really struggle to live past the age of 65 (I was genuinely saddened by Iain Banks' premature passing, but it sounded like he liked his smokes, coke, and booze).

I think that there's certainly a link between creative genius and drug use.

Though whether that creativity flows from the drug use, or whether, actually, the person is wired up a little exceptionally with that creative potential and because of that "wiring" turns to drugs as a method of coping with their own life and differences - is a deeper subject.