House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Ill_handle_it

Parts Stolen From Car......again.

I bought this Fiesta ST last summer. It's fairly good example with one previous owner and low miles. However, within two weeks someone keyed the front door. About a month later both painted mirror caps where nicked and now someone has taken the front lower grille from the bumper. I'm fairly certain the part is dealer only but I'm in no rush to replace it for obvious reasons. I'm aware that in the grand scheme this doesn't rate as a disaster but it has affected me. I now have some options. I could pay for a dropped curb outside my house and put in a camera. The car would still be on the street but probably safer. I could sell the car and buy an old beast that they would ignore. I've thought about alarms and in car cameras which run over night but I don't know if they work so well or if a hoody would even care if he was filmed. Any suggestions please ?

http://s17.postimg.org/itzbmvf4f/bmp.jpg

I bought this Fiesta ST last summer. It's fairly good example with one previous owner and low miles. However, within two weeks someone keyed the front door. About a month later both painted mirror caps where nicked and now someone has taken the front lower grille from the bumper. I'm fairly certain the part is dealer only but I'm in no rush to replace it for obvious reasons. I'm aware that in the grand scheme this doesn't rate as a disaster but it has affected me. I now have some options. I could pay for a dropped curb outside my house and put in a camera. The car would still be on the street but probably safer. I could sell the car and buy an old beast that they would ignore. I've thought about alarms and in car cameras which run over night but I don't know if they work so well or if a hoody would even care if he was filmed. Any suggestions please ?

http://s17.postimg.o...zbmvf4f/bmp.jpg

You could get one of those alarms that shouts at people when they get too near to the car (proximity sensor) and listen out for it.

However it would need to have sufficient clear space around it when parked, or it will bark at every pedestrian who walks past.

http://s17.postimg.o...zbmvf4f/bmp.jpg

Pay for a dropped kerb and put a dummy or real camera up and for greater security put some gates up (if you have enough space). You just have to circle your wagons in some areas...its just the way it is.

edit...: or buy a less chav...youth friendly car

Do you live near me?

We have a tea leaf who has been rummaging through the garden and shed of someone who moved out / maybe just went on holiday.

He also draws on cars if they park where he doesn't like.

Pay for a dropped kerb and put a dummy or real camera up and for greater security put some gates up (if you have enough space). You just have to circle your wagons in some areas...its just the way it is.

edit...: or buy a less chav...youth friendly car

They are just magnets! :huh:

I bought this Fiesta ST last summer. It's fairly good example with one previous owner and low miles. However, within two weeks someone keyed the front door. About a month later both painted mirror caps where nicked and now someone has taken the front lower grille from the bumper.

I feel your pain. Some time ago a couple of parts were carefully removed from my car on separate occasions. Vandalism is one thing, but it was exasperating to find someone was obviously stealing the parts from my car bit by bit and fitting them to their car. And with mine parked on the street (like everyone else in the area) there wasn't a damn thing I could do about it.

I eventually fitted a dummy alarm light as a deterrent and usually put on a steering wheel lock also. I had a car stolen many moons ago and that was even worse.

And that reminds me to do the same with my new car.....

I had the hubcaps removed from my 1968 Vauxhall Viscount, whilst in Wales once! I guess somebody wanted them for their Cresta, which didn't have such nice trim! :huh:

If you have a nice motor, it's got to be parked off road, behind gates or in a garage. Sadly in hard times, if you leave a £10K car the street, it's like leaving £10K unattended to strangers. If necessary de-badge with hot water and then fishing leader line, so it looks like a normal Ford and not a sporty one. People will vandalise desirable things as you have something that they don't have.

If you have a nice motor, it's got to be parked off road, behind gates or in a garage. Sadly in hard times, if you leave a £10K car the street, it's like leaving £10K unattended to strangers. If necessary de-badge with hot water and then fishing leader line, so it looks like a normal Ford and not a sporty one. People will vandalise desirable things as you have something that they don't have.

Depends. Have a car which is completely different. My fun car is a 99 Bentley Arnage only worth about 15k (156k new I got for 25k 4 years ago )

I park it everywhere never been touched in 35000 miles.

The target cars are souped up family cars - so scrotes can pretend they have the real thing.

Of course the old duchess does look a bit lock stock so they can't quite tell who owns it.

Depends. Have a car which is completely different. My fun car is a 99 Bentley Arnage only worth about 15k (156k new I got for 25k 4 years ago )

I park it everywhere never been touched in 35000 miles.

The target cars are souped up family cars - so scrotes can pretend they have the real thing.

Of course the old duchess does look a bit lock stock so they can't quite tell who owns it.

Yes they are! I have owned ludicrous cars too, although much more "budget" than yours! :blink:

I would consider moving to a safer area less infested by chavs.

This is the answer. I had repeated vandalism to my van and stuff nicked from my garden. I moved away, far enough that they couldn't follow!

A few points there and thank you.

1. My area is okay but obviously anyone can visit.

2. Dropped curb is too expensive and selling the car is the only option.

3. Alarm is good but it's parked a way away sometimes and who takes notice anyway ?

4. I can't move.

Last night the side skirt on the NS was taken so I updated the police and they're thinking about sending someone for prints and it's going in the local paper.

Apparently ST's are being targeted at the moment so I'm getting the parts and then selling it. While it's on sale it will be parked several miles away on a friends driveway.

I'm absolutely furious and don't know what I'd do if I caught them in the act tbh. Probably best if I don't.

In the mean time I'm looking for a camera that runs all night. I'm not worried about the driving aspect but that would be a bonus. Anyone had any experience with these please ?

TIA.

A few points there and thank you.

1. My area is okay but obviously anyone can visit.

2. Dropped curb is too expensive and selling the car is the only option.

3. Alarm is good but it's parked a way away sometimes and who takes notice anyway ?

4. I can't move.

Last night the side skirt on the NS was taken so I updated the police and they're thinking about sending someone for prints and it's going in the local paper.

Apparently ST's are being targeted at the moment so I'm getting the parts and then selling it. While it's on sale it will be parked several miles away on a friends driveway.

I'm absolutely furious and don't know what I'd do if I caught them in the act tbh. Probably best if I don't.

In the mean time I'm looking for a camera that runs all night. I'm not worried about the driving aspect but that would be a bonus. Anyone had any experience with these please ?

TIA.

Bummer, sorry to hear about your travails.

Camera-wise you may struggle with a conventional dashcam as the average memory card may not provide sufficient capacity for a whole night before overwriting; the usual workaround is that the camera has some sort of buffer while on the night mode, but starts to write the contenrs of the buffer when it detects a physical shock, the buffer maybe giving 15 or 30 seconds saved prior to the shock, then the duration saved from then on will depend on any further shocks. Whether someone removing parts would be sufficient to trigger it is another matter (some user configuration to sensitivity is possible in many cases).

Also depending on where the car is located I guess you may need a dual camera setup to be sure of getting some footage of approaching scrotes.

Plenty of good reasons for having a dashcam besides your current situation, but it seems your approach of movibg the car away until selling it is the best option for now. That said it:s been a year since I bought mine and things are moving rapidly so there may be a cam to suit. Review site 'dash cam talk' or similar has a forum which may be worth a look.

Unless there are garages for rent nearby?

For me the battle is over. I've had a few nice cars over the years and they've all be robbed or vandalised. I had a Metro Turbo (fun car in the day) and my journey started there with it being kicked and dented on several panels for no good reason other than a laugh I guess. My next car,god willing will be an old Golf or something. I've had enough. Thanks for the tip on the camera - I've struggled to find one on Amazon thus far.

For me the battle is over. I've had a few nice cars over the years and they've all be robbed or vandalised. I had a Metro Turbo (fun car in the day) and my journey started there with it being kicked and dented on several panels for no good reason other than a laugh I guess. My next car,god willing will be an old Golf or something. I've had enough. Thanks for the tip on the camera - I've struggled to find one on Amazon thus far.

Alternatively, flog off all the sporty bits on ebay and keep an ST that looks like a shitty 1.25 Zetec or whatever. My current ride is a 3.0 Mondeo Ghia X - the motor's exactly the same as an ST220, it just has horrible log exhaust manifolds that restrict it to 200bhp rather than 220bhp. Next year I'm going to fit ST220 suspension, tubular manis and a custom catback, cold air intake and debatably a bigger throttle body. Remapped I'm hoping for 260bhp. Then I'll remove the 'V6' decals from the front wings, and think about a Quaife LSD. It'll still look like a grandad car, but it'll frighten badly driven M3s!

Fast Fords are brilliant- if owning an overt one causes you trouble, get a sleeper instead!

I think your options are: move house (we live in the countryside - I don't even lock the car during the day), get a garage (used to live in an ex-council area where I grew up, the photo I posted once of me with my MG Metro caused much merriment) or change the car.

I really do sympathise - I used to be really into cars and spent a fortune on my Renault 5 GT Turbo back in the day.

If you can park the car near enough to your house - you can get an app for iPhones - presume also other platforms - that works like a CCTV camera relaying the image live so you can keep an eye on it. You can also record the footage of the continuous stream, but it would have to be within Wi-Fi range. Mind you they'd probably break in and nick the iPhone as well.And, footage from that sort of camera late at night may not provide conclusive evidence as digital cameras are basically crap in poor light conditions.

Alternatively, flog off all the sporty bits on ebay and keep an ST that looks like a shitty 1.25 Zetec or whatever. My current ride is a 3.0 Mondeo Ghia X - the motor's exactly the same as an ST220, it just has horrible log exhaust manifolds that restrict it to 200bhp rather than 220bhp. Next year I'm going to fit ST220 suspension, tubular manis and a custom catback, cold air intake and debatably a bigger throttle body. Remapped I'm hoping for 260bhp. Then I'll remove the 'V6' decals from the front wings, and think about a Quaife LSD. It'll still look like a grandad car, but it'll frighten badly driven M3s!

Fast Fords are brilliant- if owning an overt one causes you trouble, get a sleeper instead!

Indeed. Plenty of below the radar motors out there.

Wise way to go! My Cadillac attracts no attention at all! ;)