House Price Crash Forum
winkie

Silly Question.

Does a New Waitrose store opening up in an area put up the price of property in the surrounding area? ;)

Yes, definitely, I saw it on the BBC. the new buyers end up paying so much for their house in such a desirable area they end up shopping at Lidl, hence why their sales are booming.

Does a New Waitrose store opening up in an area put up the price of property in the surrounding area? ;)

Well, there is the claimed-for Waitrose effect, but I don't think it's very scientific. I think Waitrose move in to up-and-coming areas, rather than areas becoming up-and-coming due to a new Waitrose, but then I'm not an EA...

It just means you're more likely to bump into David Cameron, which I'd have thought was a negative for most people.

No Waitrose where I am oop North, but we have two Lidl's and two Aldi's hence why house prices are depressed.

Lidl have just got permission to build a store in Holmfirth where house prices are ridiculous (its the new Harrogate donchaknow). Hopefully that will bring them down a bit.

Edited by aSecureTenant

I bet if LVT was brought in, the supposed "Waitrose Effect" would die a death. Either that, or middle-class mums would start pushing for a LIDL and objecting to a Waitrose...

Well, there is the claimed-for Waitrose effect, but I don't think it's very scientific. I think Waitrose move in to up-and-coming areas, rather than areas becoming up-and-coming due to a new Waitrose, but then I'm not an EA...

That sort of lateral thinking, shows you are most definitely, not an EA! :D

I have been told, the existing stores are almost empty and lots of new shoppers have been travelling in to have a nosey......free coffee and newspapers, free internet delivery......a sort of place you would meander to window shop in, make a mental note maybe purchasing very specifically but spend majority in other places.....opens your eyes......I would say a small percentage don't even look at the price, they pick what they want and pay whatever the bill comes to without blinking......fascinating looking into another's shopping trolley, tells a story ;)

I have been told, the existing stores are almost empty and lots of new shoppers have been travelling in to have a nosey......free coffee and newspapers, free internet delivery......a sort of place you would meander to window shop in, make a mental note maybe purchasing very specifically but spend majority in other places.....opens your eyes......I would say a small percentage don't even look at the price, they pick what they want and pay whatever the bill comes to without blinking......fascinating looking into another's shopping trolley, tells a story ;)

I shop at waitrose occasionally...their unbranded stop is cheap as chips and better quality than most branded stuff.

You do get a certain type of shopper in there. A bit like M&S food....old people with cash.

I shop at waitrose occasionally...their unbranded stop is cheap as chips and better quality than most branded stuff.

You do get a certain type of shopper in there. A bit like M&S food....old people with cash.

So you are saying they are opening their stores where there are a high proportion of wealthy elderly people with a high disposable income.........another waitrose store may have a high proportion of highly educated high net worth young professional people living in the vicinity....

So what is it telling you when a new store opens in an area?.....M&S is everywhere and sells everything and is not a place where you would generally do a full weekly shop, you may pass by and pick up a sandwich for lunch or a semi-decent labour saving micro meal and a bottle of wine for two for a tenner, not in the same league. ;)

Edit....Are they buying up the Co-op's prime sites?

Edited by winkie

I'm sure if a supermarket open a new store in a particular area, it's because they believe that store is going to be profitable, probably as a result of doing a fair bit of research.

Of course what will make it profitable varies. But one scenario might be because the supermarket believes that there is going to be growth in its customer base in a particular area or a change in customer profile.

So for example if an area is undergoing gentrification, a high end supermarket might decide to place a supermarket in that area in anticipation of getting a larger market share when the customers that fit its profile move into the area.

I guess if facilities that cater for high spending customers arise in an area that can be part of a general feedback loop that leads to that area becoming more up market and affluent.

Directly correlating a particular nearby store opening to x grand on every house price in a particular area is probably taking it a bit far though.

I'm sure if a supermarket open a new store in a particular area, it's because they believe that store is going to be profitable, probably as a result of doing a fair bit of research.

Of course what will make it profitable varies. But one scenario might be because the supermarket believes that there is going to be growth in its customer base in a particular area or a change in customer profile.

So for example if an area is undergoing gentrification, a high end supermarket might decide to place a supermarket in that area in anticipation of getting a larger market share when the customers that fit its profile move into the area.

I guess if facilities that cater for high spending customers arise in an area that can be part of a general feedback loop that leads to that area becoming more up market and affluent.

Directly correlating a particular nearby store opening to x grand on every house price in a particular area is probably taking it a bit far though.

Taking it a step further........if you were looking to move into an area, would you or anyone else vet the town centre.....walk around a bit, soak up the atmosphere, check the train lines, bus services, schools, shops, crime levels, do some hands on and internet research?......it all adds up. ;)

Taking it a step further........if you were looking to move into an area, would you or anyone else vet the town centre.....walk around a bit, soak up the atmosphere, check the train lines, bus services, schools, shops, crime levels, do some hands on and internet research?......it all adds up. ;)

Yes, I guess most people would. And if there were facilities there that matched my requirements then it would help encourage me to move there. And "facilites" includes supermarkets.

Although for me personally I wouln't care that much, just so long as there was one supermarket relatively close.

Yes, I guess most people would. And if there were facilities there that matched my requirements then it would help encourage me to move there. And "facilites" includes supermarkets.

Although for me personally I wouln't care that much, just so long as there was one supermarket relatively close.

So what is it that people look for when relocating apart from available work, not forgetting certain people do not require available work. ;)

So what is it that people look for when relocating apart from available work, not forgetting certain people do not require available work. ;)

I dunno. Things that they want. If you like shopping at a particular supermarket then my guess is if you are looking for a house in a new area and there is that supermarket nearby then its a plus, not a deal breaker but still a plus.

If you subscribe to the view that rich people want to shop at a particular supermarket, then it makes sense that you'll find that supermarket where rich people are - you'd be daft to build one 100 miles away from where all your customers were.

Maybe it's one of those HPC ism's - like the fact that people don't like shopping in bad weather. Anyone who has spent any time in retail knows footfall decreases when the weather is crap. So if you get a month of crap weather that will impact sales. That's why you have to look at sales over a longer timescale where the weather averages out to really gauge the state of the economy, rather than trumpet one months figures when the are negative and moan in dismay when the BBC blames the weather (cos it probably is the weather).

I dunno. Things that they want. If you like shopping at a particular supermarket then my guess is if you are looking for a house in a new area and there is that supermarket nearby then its a plus, not a deal breaker but still a plus.

If you subscribe to the view that rich people want to shop at a particular supermarket, then it makes sense that you'll find that supermarket where rich people are - you'd be daft to build one 100 miles away from where all your customers were.

Maybe it's one of those HPC ism's - like the fact that people don't like shopping in bad weather. Anyone who has spent any time in retail knows footfall decreases when the weather is crap. So if you get a month of crap weather that will impact sales. That's why you have to look at sales over a longer timescale where the weather averages out to really gauge the state of the economy, rather than trumpet one months figures when the are negative and moan in dismay when the BBC blames the weather (cos it probably is the weather).

So do you think the surrounding shops, services, homes and small businesses would welcome a waitrose into town as opposed to a tescos into town? ;)

Our local town gained a Waitrose about two years ago.

The Homebase which closed down around the same time, is to become a LIDL.

They're perhaps 1km apart.

Though the Waitrose is right next to the train station (London commutes) and the LIDL is about as far away from all the population centres as it could be.

In the meantime the high street continues its inexorable decline towards being populated by charity shops, Iceland and other bargain type stores.

Asda opened a large store opposite an Aldi on Smithdown Road, Liverpool. The Aldi is still doing ok but Asda soon stopped selling Frikkadellen as theirs was nowhere near as good as the Aldi version.

Asda opened a large store opposite an Aldi on Smithdown Road, Liverpool. The Aldi is still doing ok but Asda soon stopped selling Frikkadellen as theirs was nowhere near as good as the Aldi version.

Smart move that.....stop selling what you can't compete with, sell something you can. ;)