House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The Eagle

French Workers Now Have Legal Right Not To Be Contacted After They Leave The Office

[...]

France is the only country in the world to have adopted a 35-hour working week and this is strictly enforced. So much so that, yesterday, an agreement was signed between bosses and unions representing more than a million white-collar employees that would strike the average British worker as an edict from Cloud Cuckoo Land. It is a legally enforceable deal that means workers should not be contacted once they have left the office. It is as if the smartphone had never been invented (and yes, I know, many of us might hanker for a return to those days).

[...]

Here's the thing, too. French productivity levels outstrip those of Britain and Germany, and French satisfaction with their quality of life is above the OECD average. No wonder, we may say. We'd all like to take a couple of hours off for lunch, washed down with a nice glass of Côtes du Rhône, and then switch our phones off as soon as we leave work. It's just that our bosses won't let us.

full article here: http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/europe/french-workers-now-have-legal-right-not-to-be-contacted-after-they-leave-the-office-9249506.html

Nice work if you can get it! B)

Doesn't reflect reality imo. Maybe in a few french public sector offices, they always seem pretty damned entitled, but in the private sector my experience is they work similar hours to the uk and they call people at home if necessary.

independent.co.uk - the New Grauniad! If the French are indeed outliving us, that's dictated almost entirely by a generation whose working lives pre-dated the modern trends including their 35-hour week.

A much more plausible cause is their much lower population density, and the fact most of them are much less dominated than us by the stress and pollution of the motorcar. What price the life of my late neighbour Mrs B, who became prisoner in her own home because the road outside was too dangerous when she could only walk dead slowly on two sticks, while the pavement outside was persistently blocked by parked cars?

independent.co.uk - the New Grauniad! If the French are indeed outliving us, that's dictated almost entirely by a generation whose working lives pre-dated the modern trends including their 35-hour week.

A much more plausible cause is their much lower population density, and the fact most of them are much less dominated than us by the stress and pollution of the motorcar. What price the life of my late neighbour Mrs B, who became prisoner in her own home because the road outside was too dangerous when she could only walk dead slowly on two sticks, while the pavement outside was persistently blocked by parked cars?

You should have a look around the greater Paris conurbation.

Every bit as bad as anything the uk can offer.

If France is so good why are there camps of people trying to cross to the UK?

Just see the other thread where an HPC poster is being threatened with dismissal if he doesn't respond to out of hours phone call within two hours under a call cascade procedure.

Because they don't speak French and don't have friends/relatives in France?

Think about it in reverse. Where would you go if you have to quit the UK? The obvious choice would be somewhere where you speak the language to some extent, have connections, and hence have a chance of getting a job.

Just see the other thread where an HPC poster is being threatened with dismissal if he doesn't respond to out of hours phone call within two hours under a call cascade procedure.

But surely he is in the UK, not in France.

Because back home in Somalia the only Hollywood films they see are in English.

But surely he is in the UK, not in France.

Yes of course he lives in the UK. I was comparing the situation whereby in France it us unlawful to contact outside work, where in the UK you could be sacked for not being contactable within 2 hours, 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. Indeed unable to have a life at all!

A little tip for HPC readers. France is in the EU, the UK is in the EU, you are all welcome to come and work in France if you think you are up to it. Except for a few people who get cozy little transfers to Paris for a year I think you'd find, as Swissy says, work just as unpleasant as in the UK, if not more so.

A little tip for HPC readers. France is in the EU, the UK is in the EU, you are all welcome to come and work in France if you think you are up to it. Except for a few people who get cozy little transfers to Paris for a year I think you'd find, as Swissy says, work just as unpleasant as in the UK, if not more so.

I forgot to mention one thing that is genuinely better in France - the food at lunchtime.

While the image of long lunches with wine is mostly drivel, many companies either have staff restaurants or subsidise access to restaurants close by, usually canteen-style but reasonably good. However people rarely take longer than 45 minutes. The UK is rubbish in this respect.

I'd argue this is stupidity on the part of UK companies to NOT have this, the investment must surely have an effect on the number of employee sick days taken per year, I think the French average about 7 days and the Brits 9.

I forgot to mention one thing that is genuinely better in France - the food at lunchtime.

While the image of long lunches with wine is mostly drivel, many companies either have staff restaurants or subsidise access to restaurants close by, usually canteen-style but reasonably good. However people rarely take longer than 45 minutes. The UK is rubbish in this respect.

Hmmm, in big companies maybe but everywhere I've visited recently seems to have a kitchen and the staff either eat there or they heat "le lunch box" and eat in front of their computer screen. 45 minutes is about the norm, an hour if you go out to lunch. Your boss would have a hissy fit if he caught you actually trying to work a 35 hour week. No faceooking Internet buddies during the day either.

France is the only country in the world to have adopted a 35-hour working week and this is strictly enforced.

Having worked in Paris - testicles. Maybe true if you're a public sector worker.

The expectation that you would put in unpaid overtime was much stronger than what I've experienced in the UK. Of course, this may vary according to what sector you're working in.

But what happens if it's really important?

Pfff!! (shrugs shoulders, wanders off to smoke Gauloise and eat some artisanal cheese)

Pfff!! (shrugs shoulders, wanders off to smoke Gauloise and eat some artisanal cheese)

artists ******** cheese sounds dodgy

A little tip for HPC readers. France is in the EU, the UK is in the EU, you are all welcome to come and work in France if you think you are up to it.

Sadly I don't speak French and I certainly can't start learning another language at my age.

Sadly I don't speak French and I certainly can't start learning another language at my age.

Eh?

How old are you?

I reckon I could learn another, and I'm in my late forties

I don't know why not! I'm always learning new stuff! :blink:

Sounds like some fairly basic legislation which we could do with here.

I've been self employed for most of my life, but I have seen job descriptions which come with some onerous terms and conditions - for instance, opting out of the working hours directive, submitting to drugs tests (when the job doesn't involve safety aspects which might justify it), an expectation that you will work as many hours as are required to get the job done because you are salaried (so what?) and so on.

For jobs paying, say, 40 or 50k. Or less.

The appropriate response would seem to consist of two words.