House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The Eagle

Would You Eat It?

Sun Black: the new black tomato

Italian researches from School of advanced studies Sant'Anna, University of Pisa, University of Modena and Reggio Emilia and University of Tuscia have launched a brand new tomato, being part of the "Tom – Anto" research project.

Yes, it's a tomato. But, while ripening, its peel becomes dark purple and black, thanks to its high content of anthocyanins, the same pigments which are present in some healthy fruits as black grapes and blueberry.

This new tomato has been called "Sun Black". Its pulp is still of red color and it tastes just like a traditional tomato. Sun Black is not a GM product and it is very healthy, thanks to the anti-oxidant properties of anthocyanins.

http://www.freshplaza.com/article/26245/Sun-Black-the-new-black-tomato

(this article is old but I couldn't find a more recent one in English, I posted this as according to an Italian newspaper these tomatoes are now available in supermarkets in Italy)

Sun_black460.JPG

Would you buy and eat it?

Yes.

Are you racist? B)

Nope, but I need more convincing that these are purely the result of cross-breeding, not GMO.

I've grown 'Brown Berry' and 'Black Cherry' cherry tomatoes for the last 2-3 years

I always grow a few different types as a hedge*

Black Cherry...

fe2mg7.jpg

And, yes, I eat them.

Dark purple tomatoes have been around for a while. At least 1990, maybe much further than that...

e.g.

wiki: Cherokee purple / Black krim

* and, sometimes, a hedge

I've bought those here in Blighty. Seen them in both Lidl and Morrison, possibly elsewhere.

The taste was disappointing, though that may just have been that they were less ripe than they should have been.

I've grown black krim tomatoes and they're a bit ugly.

I grew green sausage tomatoes too. They were hard to tell if they were ready to eat.

Won't be growing them again cos I have discovered sun gold! :)

I have some other types of green and black ones.

I've grown black krim tomatoes and they're a bit ugly.

I grew green sausage tomatoes too. They were hard to tell if they were ready to eat.

Won't be growing them again cos I have discovered sun gold! :)

I have some other types of green and black ones.

Grew them last year, fantastic flavour. I did get confused with the all the side shoot pruning though.

Grew them last year, fantastic flavour. I did get confused with the all the side shoot pruning though.

The bits you pinch out will grow if you stick them in a tub of compost. Extra tomato plants for free.

http://www.freshplaza.com/article/26245/Sun-Black-the-new-black-tomato

(this article is old but I couldn't find a more recent one in English, I posted this as according to an Italian newspaper these tomatoes are now available in supermarkets in Italy)

Sun_black460.JPG

Would you buy and eat it?

I would eat it but probably wouldn't buy it, since it would almost certainly be more expensive than good quality red tomatoes.

On the subject of mutant tomatoes, the other day I noticed that one of my seedlings had thrown three 'cot' leaves instead of two. Something like this...

51ppav.jpg

I have separated it from my other tomato seedlings, in case it grows up to lead them. I shall experiment on it.

Ooo!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Seed#Embryo

The cotyledons, the seed leaves, attached to the embryonic axis. There may be one (Monocotyledons), or two (Dicotyledons). The cotyledons are also the source of nutrients in the non-endospermic dicotyledons, in which case they replace the endosperm, and are thick and leathery. In endospermic seeds the cotyledons are thin and papery. Dicotyledons have the point of attachment opposite one another on the axis.