House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Mikhail Liebenstein

Us Navy Rail Gun

[i wonder if they'll build field gun versions?

How would they generate the power in the field?

Ships have things like nuclear reactors on board(well, some do) so can generate pretty much as much electricity as they could need.

Ships have things like nuclear reactors on board(well, some do) so can generate pretty much as much electricity as they could need.

Perhaps they could plug it into that daft Brazilian device that was being touted round the other day as the answer to all our energy problems.....

Would a standard generator create enough power?

landing_portable_pic01.jpg

Something this size?

Looks like old science fiction is becoming science fact.

Do we really need more weapons?

I though the US alone is already capable of erasing all forms of life on earth many times over with its current stockpile of weapons...

The only weapon I would favour is a weapon that magically disappears all war-mongers from this planet.

---

interesting factoid

The hyper-velocity projectiles weigh around 10kg each and cost $25,000, a size and cost which means that a well-resourced navy could store them aboard ships by the hundreds.

and theres me thinking wow, a 1lb slug pushed to 5000 mph would be enough to down anything it touched.

interesting factoid

The hyper-velocity projectiles weigh around 10kg each and cost $25,000, a size and cost which means that a well-resourced navy could store them aboard ships by the hundreds.

and theres me thinking wow, a 1lb slug pushed to 5000 mph would be enough to down anything it touched.

I imagine such a small projectile would be vapourised.....

One of the big advantages of rail guns as warship armaments is that the ammunition is inert. Stops things like this happening...

They also have tested a rather powerful laser.

both weapons would work very well against aircraft and cruise missiles

so if the US and Russia go to war over ukraine........................................ (perhaps not likely :P )

Friction?

Kinetic Energy plus depending on the round used such as Depleted Uranium which ignites and burns on contact. Then there's the armour of the recipient vehicle itself which might be reactive explosive armour to try and repel the penetrating round and if that fails the skin and bones armour where a scab of molten metal will form on the inside of the tank rattling around burning anything combustible.

Edit re. the power required it might well be huge and enough to power chicago but I'd have though it'd only be required long enough to propel a round the length of a barrel (? 3 metres) and at 5,000mph we must be in the milliseconds.

Kinetic Energy plus depending on the round used such as Depleted Uranium which ignites and burns on contact. Then there's the armour of the recipient vehicle itself which might be reactive explosive armour to try and repel the penetrating round and if that fails the skin and bones armour where a scab of molten metal will form on the inside of the tank rattling around burning anything combustible.

Edit re. the power required it might well be huge and enough to power chicago but I'd have though it'd only be required long enough to propel a round the length of a barrel (? 3 metres) and at 5,000mph we must be in the milliseconds.

Actually, I meant the flames from the barrel of the weapon. Friction? Well ok, but where is the combustible fuel coming from?

Actually, I meant the flames from the barrel of the weapon. Friction? Well ok, but where is the combustible fuel coming from?

Its the projectile/sabot/rails partly vapourising in the intense heat created by the friction and electrical current.

Its the projectile/sabot/rails partly vapourising in the intense heat created by the friction and electrical current.

Possibly, but with that amount of molten metal etc. flying around, and the sabot construction of the projectile, the barrel would get VERY contaminated VERY quickly. Don't fancy running an oily rag up that spout!

They also have tested a rather powerful laser.

both weapons would work very well against aircraft and cruise missiles

so if the US and Russia go to war over ukraine........................................ (perhaps not likely :P )

The lasers don't work very well in rain or fog. Luckily that type of weather is rare on Earth :lol::lol::lol: