House Price Crash Forum

I've Been Approached To Build An Electricity Substation Beside House

HOLA441

In the lease, I would insist on a "lift and shift" clause, at their expense - essentially if you want it moved, then you provide another bit of land on your property, and they pay for the move. They normally agree to lift and shift clauses but at your expense, so you provide the land and then you pay for all the re-building. This will put them offbuilding it.

If it was me, I would accept the price of my house, or at least start off at that price in any negotiations.

I work with these companies on a daily basis, and they don't hesitate to rip off people on land agreements.

Hi,

If it comes to it yes that would be good idea thanks.

I really like living here so I would have trouble even valuing the house.

The guy who approached me was of a character that gave me that throw up breakfast feeling.

I was checking and found a lease for the 2 poles on the land, it expired 5 years ago. Have I the option to tell them to remove them or will that kick things off?

HOLA442

What are the chances of getting planning permission for that site? Access shouldn't be a problem otherwise they wouldn't be able to put a sub station there. You may not want to have a house built there but your kids could lose out in the long run.

Gain £10,000 lose £100,000.

Hi, yes I'd say good possibility of planning should they ever want. There's plenty of room. Don't know about £100,000 for the site though.

HOLA443

Hi,

If it comes to it yes that would be good idea thanks.

I really like living here so I would have trouble even valuing the house.

The guy who approached me was of a character that gave me that throw up breakfast feeling.

I was checking and found a lease for the 2 poles on the land, it expired 5 years ago. Have I the option to tell them to remove them or will that kick things off?

If their lease for the poles has expired, and the poles serve other people's homes, then you could write to them and tell them to stop trespassing on your property. If the poles only serve your property, then you are stuck with them.

They will offer to move them for around £6,000 each, at your cost. If you dig your heals in, then they will normally move them at their cost.

HOLA444

Hi, yes I'd say good possibility of planning should they ever want. There's plenty of room. Don't know about £100,000 for the site though.

The other question is what would you do with the £10,000. If you would spend it and enjoy it fair enough. If all you are going to do is save it and look on it as an asset sat in the bank then I would say keep the land as an asset instead.

HOLA445

The other question is why do they need a new sub station? Have your neighbours got planning for 12 houses making them millionaires and you get £10,000 for the substation to supply them.

New estate going in and they can cram in one more house if you have the substation and houses worth more no substation on the new estate.

Edited by gf3

HOLA446
HOLA447

I would think long and hard before selling it. Over things the land could be used for.

Bungalow your parents aren't getting any younger.

Caravan kids get divorced.

lock up garage rent it out for small business. Maybe your kids will want to start a business.

Maybe when you retire have a house built on the land and sell both houses and move.

HOLA448
HOLA449

I would think long and hard before selling it. Over things the land could be used for.

Bungalow your parents aren't getting any younger.

Caravan kids get divorced.

lock up garage rent it out for small business. Maybe your kids will want to start a business.

Maybe when you retire have a house built on the land and sell both houses and move.

Thanks for some very good points. There is an estate being built down a lane nearby, why aren't they putting it there is a very good question. Maybe to much ground works to do as I'm beside main road. It would be very cheeky to put a shed on it now, but that would be an idea. Would you do it? Have even considered changing title to someone in Belize or somewhere

HOLA4410

I have seen quite a few next to houses and I can always hear a low constant hum coming from them - does my head in.

At the end of my road the gas board put in a new safety valve on the gas mains a few months ago. They raised the mains up out of the ground with an inverted u-shape pipe and stuck a big valve on it. They then covered it with a small building.

Now, 24 hours a day, you can hear a loud constant hissing from the gas flowing through the pipe. I can hear it at the far end of the road and, frankly, I think it has made all the houses in the area unsellable.

II would blame it on your neighbours having the cheek to use electricity and gas in your neighbourhood! I'm playing hymns on a harmonium until 4 AM, by kerosene lamp! What better neighbour could you want? I'm not one for such extravagance!

HOLA4411

Watch out for eddy currents.

Also, if you have a Prince Albert, beware of inductive coupling.

We have all wound a Tesla coil round our "manhood" in our younger days, and stood in strong magnetic fields! :o ?

HOLA4412

I'd avoid pylons/sub stations/phone masts like the plague if I were buying a house. Links to cancer etc may be un-proven but why take the risk when you have a choice and there are millions of house up for sale at government backed affordable mega bubble mania prices.

I did! They blat out my radio reception! Not the usual stuff, but I'm on shortwave a bit, being a ham radio bod! :blink:

HOLA4413

I wouldn't sell, the noise would drive me nuts. This is ignoring the greater real and potential risks. There is one fairly close to where I live it has been on fire twice in the past couple of years, it also regularly blows fuses or wires as it is overloaded. This usually entails the roads being dug up for repairs. Given this I would never live close to one.

A lot of other people would feel the same and due to this your house value will be affected massively. It may complicate people obtaining mortgages, not a problem for your but it is for most who you may want to sell too.

You have offered them an alternative, the other alternative, is if it is needed for the new estate then it can go on the new estate. If the developer was willing to pay you the purchase price of one of the new houses then I would think differently, but then I would take the money and sell your current house and move far away.

HOLA4414

I'd personally say no to them. I'm sure someone can correct me if I'm wrong, the only way that they would be allowed to take the land from you if you initially objected would be if they obtained a compulsory purchase order. If there are alternatives locations where it could be placed then I doubt they would get a CPO.

I used to work in the rail industry and people would often ransom land that was needed for projects. Often the ransom demand would be met because the cost of delaying a project would be a lot more.

HOLA4415
HOLA4416

765kV high voltage power transmission towers at N…:

nah ...not good ...walk away walk away....!

Elektrisiteitsvoorsieningskommissie ?

The only place I have heard of voltages like that is in South Afrika. :huh: