House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

swissy_fit

Car Change

For reasons I won't detail am thinking of changing the car.

Am considering a second-hand Prius with about 65k miles on the clock, a bright blue one which should help ensure it hasn't been a taxi and been clocked. (the 2009-onwards version as the one before is just too crap)

Anyone got one?

Things to look out for? Major service costs at what age? etc etc

Reliability and durability is said to be good - true?

Edit: This is a temporary change until the new Honda hybrids arrive next year which should finally deliver everything hybrids promised but so far haven't achieved, then it will take a while for their prices to settle in Switzerland so will probably get one of those in early 2016..

I heard only yesterday of a Prius that broke down a week out of guarantee. £6K bill. It's the only Toyota I wouldn't touch with a barge pole. :unsure:

Interesting topic - I like the idea of a 2009 Lexus RX400H for about £10k ( just a concept at the moment frugal HPC-ers - too busy wasting money on housing currently:D). Owner reviews on autotrader seem pretty solid, but is a there an as yet unemerged sting in the tale for these hybrids...?

I heard only yesterday of a Prius that broke down a week out of guarantee. £6K bill. It's the only Toyota I wouldn't touch with a barge pole. :unsure:

This one will come with a year guarantee so will have a short-term cover if I get it.

Funny you should say that - what was he problem? I haven't heard of many problems with them - over here there are many, many Prius and Prius+ taxis and they do massive mileages with few problems according to the cabbies. They are definitely well-suited to driving in town, a bit less good outside.

This one will come with a year guarantee so will have a short-term cover if I get it.

Funny you should say that - what was he problem? I haven't heard of many problems with them - over here there are many, many Prius and Prius+ taxis and they do massive mileages with few problems according to the cabbies. They are definitely well-suited to driving in town, a bit less good outside.

That taxi drivers are using them extensively is good news, means that they must be economic and reliable enough for their needs. Personally I don't like hydrids - least not in their current form, you are buying double the complexity for only some of the gains. Most taxi companies/owners are reliant on a very good relationship with mechanics and / or the taxis are owned by mechanics themselves, it does shift the cost/benefit somehwta of running cars for extended mileages.

If only a temporary purchase - are you buying to see if you like it - could be risking a chance of a heavy bill for little gain - if buying new in a couple of years why not just get a cheap small diesel rounadaround as a stop gap? Do you do any long distance miles - if not why not try all electric?

I would have thought that a clocked ex-taxi would be easy to spot due to the wear and tear on the rear seats. Or am I talking testicles?

I would have thought that a clocked ex-taxi would be easy to spot due to the wear and tear on the rear seats. Or am I talking testicles?

No idea but I daresay they're smart enough to cover up the most obvious things if an effort to defraud is being made.

That taxi drivers are using them extensively is good news, means that they must be economic and reliable enough for their needs. Personally I don't like hydrids - least not in their current form, you are buying double the complexity for only some of the gains. Most taxi companies/owners are reliant on a very good relationship with mechanics and / or the taxis are owned by mechanics themselves, it does shift the cost/benefit somehwta of running cars for extended mileages.

If only a temporary purchase - are you buying to see if you like it - could be risking a chance of a heavy bill for little gain - if buying new in a couple of years why not just get a cheap small diesel rounadaround as a stop gap? Do you do any long distance miles - if not why not try all electric?

I need an auto. I don't mind manuals but, well, just don't ask it's a long boring story....

I need it to be cheap to tax and run.

I need it to be reliable.

I need it to be able to do longer journeys but most driving is town or suburban.

I need the car to be big enough to put people or things in occasionally but doesn't need to be huge.

I need it not to be utterly crap to drive(rules out Honda Insight and current Jazz hybrid)

If it's good I might keep it a bit longer.

I don't care if it looks like a jellymould on wheels, it would be nice if it didn't but hey...

To my mind this all adds up to a second-hand Prius, happy to hear other options but diesels are out, I've had enough of the stinking polluting things and IMO they should be taxed out of existence or at the very least banned from town centres.

Why single out those two particular costs?

What about depreciation and insurance?

Assuming that all your other criteria are met, why is the overall cost not the money criterion?

I need an auto. I don't mind manuals but, well, just don't ask it's a long boring story....

I need it to be able to do longer journeys but most driving is town or suburban.

I need the car to be big enough to put people or things in occasionally but doesn't need to be huge.

I need it not to be utterly crap to drive(rules out Honda Insight and current Jazz hybrid)

I don't care if it looks like a jellymould on wheels, it would be nice if it didn't but hey...

To my mind this all adds up to a second-hand Prius, happy to hear other options but diesels are out, I've had enough of the stinking polluting things and IMO they should be taxed out of existence or at the very least banned from town centres.

A small-engined petrol car that's decent to drive like a Fiesta would tick those boxes.

IMO buying a Prius or similar is done for the same reason as buying a VW Beetle or a Smart car - you have an emotional attachment to the perceived values that those cars represent rather than buying with your head. The best example is the hippy hemp-wearing car of choice of yesteryear - the 2CV - which had this cuddly eco-image despite being massively polluting.

Interesting topic - I like the idea of a 2009 Lexus RX400H for about £10k ( just a concept at the moment frugal HPC-ers - too busy wasting money on housing currently:D). Owner reviews on autotrader seem pretty solid, but is a there an as yet unemerged sting in the tale for these hybrids...?

Are such cars still congestion charge free?

I was never quite sure what practical purpose the RX-h served, isn't the electric range only about a mile? Seems to be purely a contrived technical solution to taxes (congestion charge, VED and company car taxes) based on arbitrary and unrealistic metrics. The Prius sort of makes sense if you've a bit of stop/start urban driving during your usual journeys (7-8 mile leccy range?) to vastly exaggerate the typical economy of the small petrol engine but the RX? (range figures from memory not google)

Annoyingly I'm starting to spend a bit more on fuel but I know that a £60-70 a month fuel saving from a new car would not balance the collossal depreciation I'd suffer in comparison. So I'm stuck for the time being. I'd actually like a V6 Cayenne or Toureg as my next car but its unlikely ever to happen. My wife's car is literally rusting away before our eyes so that will probably need changing first. She wants a 4x4 but wouldn't drive one, so a shed or a static caravan is probably more practical than a car you won't drive.

Deosn't seem unreasonable. What does google throw up for problems? I had thought they were pretty reliable. At the age you're looking at , is it still the weedy 1.5 litre petrol or the better 1.8 litre?

A small-engined petrol car that's decent to drive like a Fiesta would tick those boxes.

IMO buying a Prius or similar is done for the same reason as buying a VW Beetle or a Smart car - you have an emotional attachment to the perceived values that those cars represent rather than buying with your head. The best example is the hippy hemp-wearing car of choice of yesteryear - the 2CV - which had this cuddly eco-image despite being massively polluting.

I don't recall the 2CV being massively polluting? They were pretty fuel efficient, and otherwise no more polluting than anything else around in the 70s & 80s.

Don'y buy a secondhand hybrid.

It's not that their unreliable it's just they will cost thousands to mend.

In any case a good diesel is more economical in the real world.

I have a good diesel, it is in the real world, it is the last one I will own and it is not that economical. I wish I'd bought the petrol version.

People delude themselves about diesels, they're only more economical if you do a lot of miles. Plus they kick out tiny particles too small for the filters which kill people and/or give them asthma.

Mine is so stupid that if I go for a few weeks without having a long or run the filter starts to clog and the management system takes that as a signal to add diesel to the engine oil, so I have to go for a drive and push the engine hard to clean the filter. Ridiculous.

I have a good diesel, it is in the real world, it is the last one I will own and it is not that economical. I wish I'd bought the petrol version.

People delude themselves about diesels, they're only more economical if you do a lot of miles. Plus they kick out tiny particles too small for the filters which kill people and/or give them asthma.

Mine is so stupid that if I go for a few weeks without having a long or run the filter starts to clog and the management system takes that as a signal to add diesel to the engine oil, so I have to go for a drive and push the engine hard to clean the filter. Ridiculous.

Absolutely it's horses for courses; I have a diesel and really should have bought one years ago because I do a lot of miles at a steady speed. The last time I calculated it I was saving £1.7k a year in fuel compared to my previous petrol, so diesel is a total no-brainer in my case.

I am not however a fan of diesels and one of the joys of my (distant) retirement will be going back to petrol.

Don'y buy a secondhand hybrid.

It's not that their unreliable it's just they will cost thousands to mend.

I believe the current Honda Jazz hybrid is top of all the reliability ratings, I forget which survey it was - Warranty Direct or Which I should think.

Pity it's so sh1t, the new one being sold in Japan is allegedly brilliant.

Why single out those two particular costs?

What about depreciation and insurance?

Assuming that all your other criteria are met, why is the overall cost not the money criterion?

This is a good point, I could consider a cheaper petrol automatic if the depreciation factor added up better than the Prius. Problem is that autos are often sh1te and more expensive, especially in Switzerland, and there's the fuel economy/CO2 figure/tax part to consider as well.

I can highly, very highly, recommend electric if your driving patterns suit.

I think you can pick up Zoes and Leafs quite cheap now.

I can highly, very highly, recommend electric if your driving patterns suit.

I think you can pick up Zoes and Leafs quite cheap now.

Nope, needs to be able to take me to the Alps and back (about 150-200k depending on where I go plus a lot of up and down obviously) regularly and the occasional longer trip.

Your BMW with the extender engine sounds excellent but fails by a factor of 3 on price. :-)

OK in consideration of your wish list I would still steer clear of a second hand hybrid that you may only keep for a couple of years, Don't think it is worth the risk, a petrol auto to tide you over (agree on particulates, and issues with diesels that do not have longer runs). 2 years is a lot of time in the electric car market, Tesla coming out with a cut price offering and others will have to match pricing, you may be pleasantly suprised at what you can get and not even go for the new Prius when it comes out.

then you do not have a 'good' diesel!

modern diesels are quiet and very economical. mine is a 2.2 and averages 55mpg, considering my work is 2 miles away and most of my regular trips that's pretty good. Better than a petrol 1.2 city car in the same conditions.

then you do not have a 'good' diesel!

modern diesels are quiet and very economical. mine is a 2.2 and averages 55mpg, considering my work is 2 miles away and most of my regular trips that's pretty good. Better than a petrol 1.2 city car in the same conditions.

That's very good, what is it?

(Not that this will persuade me to get a diesel, but I'm just curious)

Mine is a Mazda 5 diesel 143 Sport which is a misnomer, it's not a bad car in lots of ways but the petrol would have been better.

I don't recall the 2CV being massively polluting? They were pretty fuel efficient, and otherwise no more polluting than anything else around in the 70s & 80s.

Being designed in the 1930s, they didn't meet the new emission requirements, in the 1980s! Probably not "massively polluting" though!