House Price Crash Forum

Discount Wars Bring Sharpest Fall In Prices For Seven Years

HOLA441

Huh? Laptops, especially basic touch screen Windows 8 ones have crashed recently to under £300 e.g. here with a lot giving you a full MS Office (Home and Student) copy included!

The real action is with the Windows 8 tablets though with most of the 10" and below ones under £350 and again with free Office Home and Student. I went for one of these recently (Asus T100) and use this as my main computer hooked up to a full HD external monitor via HDMI and it's honestly great and the new Atom processors are like a previous generation i3 performance wise. Also by running this thing rather than my Core i7 desktop I'm saving a £'s every week on electricity costs :D

Got to agree. I got the missus a brand new Windows 8 laptop, complete with touchscreen and Office for £150 last week. Admittedly it needed all of the crap stripped off it and it'll never be super fast - but it's certainly useable. Stick an SSD in and maybe a bit more RAM and I suspect it would be pretty speedy.

I got one of those atom based Windows tablets myself. It's a very capable machine for £200. Easily good enough as a basic desktop replacement if you hook it up to a monitor/keyboard - plus you have a 10 inch trackpad/digitiser effectively.

HOLA442

We've long passed the stage where we don't need more stuff. Have we now got to the stage where we don't want more stuff? Are we sated?

5 year old laptops will handle most users requirements. How many of us have enough clothes to last 30+ years if we say sod it to fashion? Homes getting smaller = need to declutter etc.

HOLA443

We've long passed the stage where we don't need more stuff. Have we now got to the stage where we don't want more stuff? Are we sated?

5 year old laptops will handle most users requirements. How many of us have enough clothes to last 30+ years if we say sod it to fashion? Homes getting smaller = need to declutter etc.

No more....less is more. ;)