House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
juvenal

Help With Noisy Partying Neighbours?

http://www.bournemouthecho.co.uk/news/11132307._Noisy_stag_and_hen_party_houses_are_making_our_lives_miserable_/?ref=var_0

Extraordinary that Local Councillors, The Police and Crime Commissioner, and Robert Syms MP are jumping to attention for residents meetings. Even talking about questions in The House..

Do they do it for anyone plagued by noisy neighbours, or is it something to do with house values?...

http://www.zoopla.co.uk/house-prices/canford-cliffs/canford-cliffs-avenue/?q=canford%20cliffs%20Avenue%20poole&search_source=house-prices

EDIT: It must be important, it's now in the Wail!!

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2599652/Prostitutes-sex-dolls-naked-butlers-fences-set-fire-How-stag-hen-house-parties-make-life-misery-millionaires-living-exclusive-Sandbanks-resort.html

Edited by juvenal

http://www.bournemou...ble_/?ref=var_0

Extraordinary that Local Councillors, The Police and Crime Commissioner, and Robert Syms MP are jumping to attention for residents meetings. Even talking about questions in The House..

Do they do it for anyone plagued by noisy neighbours, or is it something to do with house values?...

http://www.zoopla.co...ce=house-prices

Oh dear BTL blight strikes again. :rolleyes:

Having experienced a lovely residentail neighbourhood turned into a BTL student hell, and the local council turning a blind eye for over 15 years, I can say that the only solution is to sell up and move out.

The stress from sleeplessn nights, rows, rubbish, not being able to park, etc, etc, takes a serious toll on someone's mental and physical health. It really affected me - so much so that now when I look at possible houses to buy I am alsways considering the potential for the area becoming a BTL area. Alas, BTL is creeping into so many areas and you quite simply do not know whether the lovely neighbours down the road might be replaced by neighbours from hell.

Of course, this is true whether the neighbours are renters or owners - I know of people who have had nightmares with new owners moving in nearby.

Having experienced a lovely residentail neighbourhood turned into a BTL student hell, and the local council turning a blind eye for over 15 years, I can say that the only solution is to sell up and move out.

The stress from sleeplessn nights, rows, rubbish, not being able to park, etc, etc, takes a serious toll on someone's mental and physical health. It really affected me - so much so that now when I look at possible houses to buy I am alsways considering the potential for the area becoming a BTL area. Alas, BTL is creeping into so many areas and you quite simply do not know whether the lovely neighbours down the road might be replaced by neighbours from hell.

Of course, this is true whether the neighbours are renters or owners - I know of people who have had nightmares with new owners moving in nearby.

There is show on C5 at the moment. Nightmare Neighbours or something.

Watched one and the problem is BTL blight, but of course that can't be mentioned at all.

A family from the South were moved up to Ramsbottom in Lancashire. What a bunch of scumbags.

Obviously there are social housing landlords jumping for joy somewhere, having palmed off that family onto the BTL brigade, and unsuspecting neighbours and owner occupiers.

My Nightmare Neighbour Next Door

Worlds Worst Tenants

Edited by aSecureTenant

But surely only some areas are going to be took over by students? ie those close to the Uni and city centre.

But surely only some areas are going to be took over by students? ie those close to the Uni and city centre.

Nah, what often happens is that a 'nice' area gets wrecked and the houses trashed... and the students no longer wish to live there... so they move on to another 'nice' area... and so the cycle repeats.

Meanwhile, in the original area the students get replaced by - I hate to say this - people with worse possible background such as people kicked out of social housing by housing associations but the housing associations then house then with BTL landlords... or, as was happening allegedly in one area I am aware of, sex offenders released from prison...

Obviously there are social housing landlords jumping for joy somewhere, having palmed off that family onto the BTL brigade, and unsuspecting neighbours and owner occupiers.

Yep, seen this so often.

Housing association has a problem tennant... nay, has a nightmare tennant... who is wrecking their property and making life hell for other residents of the housing association... so the housing association kick the person out of their properties and pay some BTL landlord to house the individual....

...and you end up with a real problem person housed next to little old ladies who bought their own houses 50 years ago and who just want some peace before their die... or next to some family who get up to go to work each morning and/or have kids...

...and the problem tennant then makes all their lives hell... and wrecks the road... and the housing association, local council, police... all pass the buck for months and months or years when the problem tennant is making life a misery...

Yep, seen this so often.

Housing association has a problem tennant... nay, has a nightmare tennant... who is wrecking their property and making life hell for other residents of the housing association... so the housing association kick the person out of their properties and pay some BTL landlord to house the individual....

...and you end up with a real problem person housed next to little old ladies who bought their own houses 50 years ago and who just want some peace before their die... or next to some family who get up to go to work each morning and/or have kids...

...and the problem tennant then makes all their lives hell... and wrecks the road... and the housing association, local council, police... all pass the buck for months and months or years when the problem tennant is making life a misery...

Well there is a plus side, some of us live in nice quiet social housing.

Seems that BTL and ho moaner ship these days is like a game of Russian Roulette!

Edited by aSecureTenant

Well there is a plus side, some of us live in nice quiet social housing.

Seems that BTL and ho moaner ship these days is like a game of Russian Roulette!

Friends of mine got a gorgeous social housing town house a few years ago - newly built and the quality of workmanship and fittings was superior to any private new builds I have seen in the area.

New builds which I have seen on for over 500K didn't come close to the quality of the social housing house my friends now live in. Big wide and tall heavy real oak doors throughout... oak skirting boards... huge modern kitchen... spacious and expensive looking wet room... loads of big bedrooms... fabulous house...

The beauty of renting I guess – moving out is one hell of a lot quicker!

Have had similar experiences myself – sure makes you think about ‘wider research’ when you consider your buying requirements!

Anecdotal entirely, but I’ve found the better areas to be where there are a high proportion of ‘labourers’ (i.e. people who might make a bit of noise, drive clapped out vans etc that sound like a 747 in the morning. However, the crucial word there is ‘morning’, and labourers tend to have to get up at that time. It probably also helps that manual work makes a lot of them brick shithouses and therefore anyone making a load of noise tends to get sorted by ‘the community’ pretty pronto!)

Have had similar experiences myself – sure makes you think about ‘wider research’ when you consider your buying requirements!

Anecdotal entirely, but I’ve found the better areas to be where there are a high proportion of ‘labourers’ (i.e. people who might make a bit of noise, drive clapped out vans etc that sound like a 747 in the morning. However, the crucial word there is ‘morning’, and labourers tend to have to get up at that time. It probably also helps that manual work makes a lot of them brick shithouses and therefore anyone making a load of noise tends to get sorted by ‘the community’ pretty pronto!)

Ditto.

Part of the reason why I have rented for so long. I am very wary of buying now and I seem to spot things re BTLs moving in on areas that others do not simply because I once lived through such a bad experience.

These types of issues could be easily solved by a couple of good old bobbies kicking the live daylights out of some of the nasty selfish ignorant people who do this.

They'd only need to do it a couple of times before the noise stopped.

Political correctness doesn't work, it just lets a minority dictate to a majority, hey ho, maybe that's what they want.

I've lived in an environment where one group of students terrorised their neighbours and there was nothing the could or wanted to do.

These types of issues could be easily solved by a couple of good old bobbies kicking the live daylights out of some of the nasty selfish ignorant people who do this.

They'd only need to do it a couple of times before the noise stopped.

Political correctness doesn't work, it just lets a minority dictate to a majority, hey ho, maybe that's what they want.

I've lived in an environment where one group of students terrorised their neighbours and there was nothing the could or wanted to do.

Apparently used to happen in my neck of the woods. Several problem families would get regular visits from the cops who'd kick the crap out them when it looked like they were on the verge of becoming troublesome. Said families were supposedly OK with the arrangement as it beat going to prison.

But we're talking about the sixties now, not likely to happen nowadays.

Having grown up on a council estate and lived in poor areas since I can tell you it's always a minority which ruin it for everyone else. Also seen the BTL plague first hand with a poor street, but nice people slowly turned into round the clock noise, violence and hassle over five years. I'm glad I was only renting.

Ditto.

Part of the reason why I have rented for so long. I am very wary of buying now and I seem to spot things re BTLs moving in on areas that others do not simply because I once lived through such a bad experience.

Rent with the option to buy....or try before you buy?.....even though nobody who lives in a high density area close to other properties/flats can choose who their new neighbours will be.

Having said that I do know of a cooperative who vet and interview prospective new tenants, the existing tenants vote to decide who they should pick to live in their community.win,win. ;)

Also pretty tiring work so they are not likely to stop up late making noise.

Prostitutes, sex dolls, naked butlers and fences set on fire: How stag and hen house parties make life a 'misery' for millionaires living in the exclusive Sandbanks resort

Large homes rented out to groups of up to 50 for more than £1,000-a-night

Residents 'fear' the weekend and pray for rain to quell trouble

MP tells Parliament about prostitutes, blow up dolls and naked butler

Some people are left 'suicidal' by the noise and trouble, neighbours claim

QPR boss Harry Redknapp and ex-player Graeme Souness live in the area

A £1.5million bungalow was demolished and the plot sold for £3million

50 or more people crammed into a rented home... Wouldn't this be a fire risk under elf and safety?

Apart from BTL a recent phenomenon is the serviced apartment. Where some laws are enforceable in connection with bad BTL tenants, they appear to be non existent in respect of serviced apartments. The Council can't refer to any rules concerning problems with this type of occupancy. There are itinerants who can come one night and be gone the next.

I am currently experiencing this very problem with students in a BTL flat in my block. The two bed flats are rented for around £1200 pcm but the students move their mates in despite there not being a multiple occupancy licence. I am sure the Letting Agent telegraphs when they will visit after a complaint has been made, so no multiple occupancy is in evidence. The M.O. Dept at the Council Offices are not interested despite the fact it is a criminal offence without a licence.

If you persist with complaints against the students you are mindful of the fact that your car is an obvious target.

Landlords are only interested in getting the rent in, despite the problems. They and their agents do not properly vet the tenants.

I am in a state of learned helplessness.

I think it must depend on the council.

The last council whose jurisdiction I lived in before leaving the UK, City of York, had lots of faults, but was beyond criticism in the efficiency with which it dealt with noise nuisances. There was a couple in a BTL flat next door to me who started playing loud music with the windows wide open into the small hours of the morning. I phoned their noise helpline, which was answered by a human being immediately (at 3am on a Thursday-Friday night). Someone went round and the noise stopped within an hour. The same sequence of events happened the following night. The next Monday I was phoned by an environmental health officer who apologised profusely and assured me that these idiots wouldn't be causing me any problem again. She was as good as her word.

Does the top lease say anything about this type of activity?

We had a similar problem in a block I once lived in, but in the small print of the lease was a covenant that the minimum length of lease would be 6 months.

When the first "hotel" landlord got the court papers (actually, it might not even have got that far) for the lease forfeiture hearing, the problem went away overnight.

Edited by ChumpusRex

The next Monday I was phoned by an environmental health officer who apologised profusely and assured me that these idiots wouldn't be causing me any problem again. She was as good as her word.

Looks like you found your psycho serial killer.

I dont know...some scumbag cop on'millionaire boy racers' last week was basically making veiled threats to the millionaire inhabitants of west London who dared to complain about the noise made by supercars screeching up and down at all hours. The jackbooted arsehole said something along the lines of 'its their culture, we must respect that' The homeowners didnt even mention the fact the racers were foreign, but it was enough for the cop to make threats to shut them up.

I would have thought most cops would have been against these vile blasphemy hate speech directives, but it seems they just love the excuse as it allows them to threaten people.

London is owned by the oligarghs and oil mullahs now. Even wealthy old brits can bugger off.

I think it must depend on the council.

The last council whose jurisdiction I lived in before leaving the UK, City of York, had lots of faults, but was beyond criticism in the efficiency with which it dealt with noise nuisances. There was a couple in a BTL flat next door to me who started playing loud music with the windows wide open into the small hours of the morning. I phoned their noise helpline, which was answered by a human being immediately (at 3am on a Thursday-Friday night). Someone went round and the noise stopped within an hour. The same sequence of events happened the following night. The next Monday I was phoned by an environmental health officer who apologised profusely and assured me that these idiots wouldn't be causing me any problem again. She was as good as her word.

The problem is that you have to provide substantial evidence. The noise abatement people take time to respond, which means it could have ceased by the time they arrive. Often it is in short bursts whilst they get tanked up in preparation for the clubs. The loud music has to be sufficient to significantly move a decibel meter in your flat, and has to be repeated over a number of occasions. Often you can get an annoying repetitive base that comes over the top of your TV sound but is insufficient to warrant calling the officials out.

Then there is the banging of doors in the evening and when they come in at 3 am onward. The cigarette ends thrown down on paths and garden. The shouting at each other and during sports events etc. I could go on.

Yet I hear that in American condominiums they can be very strict. The same in apartments in Germany. I lived in an apartment in France and never experienced any problem despite possibly poorer sound insulation.

I quite despair of what is happening in our society. BTL makes urban flat living not worthy of consideration anymore. Everyone is so ineffectual, from landlords to letting agents to factors to police to noise abatement officers. I also think it is getting worse.

In our block, 8 out of 10 flats are BTL!

The problem is that you have to provide substantial evidence. The noise abatement people take time to respond, which means it could have ceased by the time they arrive. Often it is in short bursts whilst they get tanked up in preparation for the clubs. The loud music has to be sufficient to significantly move a decibel meter in your flat, and has to be repeated over a number of occasions. Often you can get an annoying repetitive base that comes over the top of your TV sound but is insufficient to warrant calling the officials out.

Not so sure these days. On that Channel 5 show I mentioned a neighbour had to keep elaborate logs of noise. In her case ran into 40 pages.

Then she had the brainwave of just leaving her mobile against the wall in 'record' mode and the Court accepted this as evidence.

Bear in mind this is telly, so have to take this with a pinch of salt.

You really need specialist recording equipment too. I tried to record my neighbours having a mega noisy party to show to my pals on my phobe . You could barely hear it - when in reality it was like being in a nightclub tpilet .

Its the little annoying things I really find grate about neighbours in flats.

I have s really nice couple (I think) moved in next door about 6 months ago. Don't cause Amy hassles with parties or loud music or the night. However our front doors are very close together , and as I am.in a small flat their front door is not far away at all from my bedroom and living room. They have a dog and both come and go a good 20 times a day.

Neither are door closers - they are door slammers. Doesn't sound like a big deal - but when this is barely 20 feet from where you sleep/relax - and happens about 20 times a day - I can assure you it becomes a very big deal.

I am going to say something to them when I see them next - in a very friendly manner - they probably don't even realise.

HOWEVER - there is always the chance they take it personnaly and offence to it - and things spiral from thete .