House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
liquid

What Makes A Home?

I took my family to the Geffrye Museum yesterday. It showcases homes, or to be correct, rooms, rather like IKEA, but from the distant to the recent past. For me, and perhaps in common with Ikea, it was rather one dimensional. I went with the anticipation that it could answer the question what is a home? In some respects it did, in others it didn't. A home for some time has evolved to be more than simply shelter. Today a home ranges from being a cash machine, a shrine, a ticket to a favoured school, a pension, an investment, a status symbol, a fortress, an escape, a prison?, and for some, simply an aspiration. But what are the views here of what makes a home?

All the married quarters I've been in have been 'home' to me, but as soon as I know we're posted again, it becomes a house.

Hubby still say's he's going home when we visit his parents house. He left home nearly 20 years ago!

Where-ever my husband and my cats are is home to me. I can make anywhere 'home' and am not tied to anywhere or anything. I have always got itchy feet in the spring and have moved house 6 times in the past 7 years - each place has been 'home' for a while, until we up sticks and then it becomes just a house. I also still think of my parent's house as 'home' as I grew up there, even though I moved out over a decade ago.

I took my family to the Geffrye Museum yesterday. It showcases homes, or to be correct, rooms, rather like IKEA, but from the distant to the recent past. For me, and perhaps in common with Ikea, it was rather one dimensional. I went with the anticipation that it could answer the question what is a home? In some respects it did, in others it didn't. A home for some time has evolved to be more than simply shelter. Today a home ranges from being a cash machine, a shrine, a ticket to a favoured school, a pension, an investment, a status symbol, a fortress, an escape, a prison?, and for some, simply an aspiration. But what are the views here of what makes a home?

To me, a home is a living space in which I feel entirely comfortable. In that respect, I have several "homes" around the world (mine, some of my relatives', some of my friends').

I also consider the house I repeatedly rent in England (in lieu of buying an overpriced one in the same village) my "home." :)

Good question.

As I have mentioned on here before. The last flat I "owned" was lovely and it a "good" area but it never felt like home because the mortgage was too big. Sitting in the living room looking out of the bay window I always used to feel a sense of insecurity, knowing that the bank had a hold over those slowly rotting wooden frames and the London stucco that surrounded them. It was home - but never felt like it was "my" flat.

On the other hand for a long time I lived in a four bedroomed south London council house with garden front and back. Their I felt completely and utterly secure and content and only left when I went to work abroad to make (and lose) my fortune. There we stayed in countless places from sea front villas to months in hotels.

So in conclusion - generally home is where my wife is and where I feel secure. This has nothing to do with property ownership or certainly not with mortgaged property ownership.

Right now home is a rented house.