House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

JoeDavola

Unlocking An Iphone 4 On 02

Right...you think this would be simple but I'm not sure it is. Basically:

1. I bought my brother's old iPhone 4 off him. It's locked to 02.

2. Neither me, nor my brother have contracts with 02 any more, so it seems that we can't get 02 to unlock the phone?

Does this mean the phone is effectively a brick unless I go back to 02? Or are there other ways to get it unlocked (quickly - I need to get this sorted before I go to New York as I'm basically phone-less at the moment).

Right...you think this would be simple but I'm not sure it is. Basically:

1. I bought my brother's old iPhone 4 off him. It's locked to 02.

2. Neither me, nor my brother have contracts with 02 any more, so it seems that we can't get 02 to unlock the phone?

Does this mean the phone is effectively a brick unless I go back to 02? Or are there other ways to get it unlocked (quickly - I need to get this sorted before I go to New York as I'm basically phone-less at the moment).

Local independent phone shop will sort you out for a small fee, or you can buy unlock codes via t'internet.

Local independent phone shop will sort you out for a small fee, or you can buy unlock codes via t'internet.

Shop near me quoted me £20, although he said it can take a few days iirc.

Apple manage unlocking of iphones. When they get an unlock request from a network who supplies locked phones, apple will push out an update via iTunes to unlock the phone within a couple of weeks. You might be able to speed this up by putting a new SIM in the phone.

There is no "unlock code" to type on, as with many other makes of phone. Once the locking network tell apple to unlock, it all happens automatically when you sync. There is no other (reliable) way to unlock an iPhone.

There are some unlocking firms who claim to have access to apple's iPhone lock database and can submit an unlock request for you. Quite how they can do this is a mystery to me.

Yes. You can jailbreak and install a patched radio firmware - been there done that. I've found these patches extremely unstable and prone to having your phone go crazy. Not recommended.

Thanks for the replies.

Just had a chat with 02 - I need to go and buy a pay as you go sim, put 16 quid of credit on it, make a call from the phone to 'activate' it, then contact them and they'll unlock it for a £15 charge which will come off my PAYG account.

What a palaver.

Thanks for the replies.

Just had a chat with 02 - I need to go and buy a pay as you go sim, put 16 quid of credit on it, make a call from the phone to 'activate' it, then contact them and they'll unlock it for a £15 charge which will come off my PAYG account.

What a palaver.

Could you just ask someone you know with an o2 contract to get it unlocked? I am pretty sure they shouldnt be charging for unlocking, I have unlocked various phones and never been charged by the network, although have always been in contract at the time.

Could you just ask someone you know with an o2 contract to get it unlocked? I am pretty sure they shouldnt be charging for unlocking, I have unlocked various phones and never been charged by the network, although have always been in contract at the time.

I have an 02 pay as you go that I use occasionally - but they say that I need to contact them from an 02 account that has actually made a call on the particular phone that needs unlocked.

Won't be in a rush to use 02 again, this has taken far too long to get sorted.