House Price Crash Forum

B And Q

BearLite

HOLA441
HOLA442

http://www.kamcity.com/namnews/asp/newsart...sp?newsid=24883

I think they're going to be hit hard.

We're on the lookout for a new kitchen. Further price drops on the horizon hopefully. :lol:

I was in the Chester branch of B& Q an hour ago & it seemed rather quiet, especially at the tills.

More interestingly, I was in Borders Book shop in Cheshire Oaks & an anounchment was made saying 'if you spend over £25, you'll get £5 off, simple as that'

20% off seems a bit desperate with no further strings, can't remember hearing that before. Borders do have very expensive dvd's & I've never spotted many bargains. Great library for the more obscure photo/art /culture mags though, only place I know locally that stocks the great Adbusters mag.

:D

HOLA443

I was in the Chester branch of B& Q an hour ago & it seemed rather quiet, especially at the tills.

More interestingly, I was in Borders Book shop in Cheshire Oaks & an anounchment was made saying 'if you spend over £25, you'll get £5 off, simple as that'

20% off seems a bit desperate with no further strings, can't remember hearing that before. Borders do have very expensive dvd's & I've never spotted many bargains. Great library for the more obscure photo/art /culture mags though, only place I know locally that stocks the great Adbusters mag.

Good to know that you were in today and it was quiet.

Love my books too so the more bargains the better. :)

HOLA444

Hmmm. I was in a Border's here in the States on Sunday. It was quiet and a rather too-eager salesperson through a ton of discount coupons in my bag.

I'm wondering if they're in trouble worldwide...

HOLA445

Good to know that you were in today and it was quiet.

Love my books too so the more bargains the better. :)

I love my books too and tend to buy them used, but am saddened by the state of the 2nd hand book shop market & the lack of outcry.

According to a tv doc last summer on book fairs in 'book towns', in the last 3 years 50% of 2nd hand book shops have closed nationally.

Reasons cited were cheaper new books, more remainders book shops, fewer readers buying 2nd hand (maybe easy credit, so they buy new), online sellers with low overheads, ie. Sellers using amazon , bookfinder.com & ebay etc.

:(

Edited by Saving For a Space Ship

HOLA446

I think I've mentioned this before but I still find it baffling. I was chatting with my partner and his mother and there are apparently something like 5 (or is it 6?) B+Q stores we were able to think of in Bristol. They are now building a NEW one at Cribbs Causeway. WTF? There's already one there...I just don't get it. I've never seen it particularly busy in any one of them either. I'm assuming they'll close down the old one? It's insane!

On a related note, certain parts of Cribbs look a little odd now that Courts and that other furniture place (Furnitureland?) have gone to the wall...

HOLA447

The big one at ashton was heaving at the weekend as was the rest of the retail park, and the one just off the other bit of motorway too (Thats just no very specific I know but there#s two of thes ebig chain store precincts one with b&q and comet etc and then one with tesco and other shops)

Traffic was appalling - so either people are just window shopping or the shops are lying!