House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
or in excess of

Huth Nonsense

Yes i know, i really should not be watching 3 year old episodes of this propaganda. But i did today. The thing i really dislike is when someone says they had no intention of buying anything, and was only going to see how auctions work. As far as i know,if you intend bidding, you have to register beforehand, and provide proof that you have funds available. This is so disingeuouos and deliberately misleading, and used for theatrical effect.

So what are you suggesting? Folks should turn up for their first every auction, all prepped with money in the bank and good to go? Maybe they could be obliged to make a bid on the very first lot, just to give them a proper feeling of things.

The only harm done by the people you are complaining about is that they take up a seat. All the sharks stand at the back anyway.

I was about to go to a local auction recently, with no intention of bidding. I was interested in a particular house that had been up with an EA for yonks. It didn't sell at auction and surprise, surprise is now with a different EA at £5k more than the auction guide. It will sit there until the next ice age, or until the price expectation gets sensible.

Yes i know, i really should not be watching 3 year old episodes of this propaganda. But i did today. The thing i really dislike is when someone says they had no intention of buying anything, and was only going to see how auctions work. As far as i know,if you intend bidding, you have to register beforehand, and provide proof that you have funds available. This is so disingeuouos and deliberately misleading, and used for theatrical effect.

If I were thinking of ever buying at auction I would go to look & see how it works lots of times before even thinking of bidding. So much to look out for, taking bids off the wall and shills. :blink:

If I were thinking of ever buying at auction I would go to look & see how it works lots of times before even thinking of bidding. So much to look out for, taking bids off the wall and shills. :blink:

Exactly, I've been to no end of motor auctions and never bought anything.

Which I did a few years ago and I spotted quite a few off the wall bids. I watched one property, which was being sold by an EA at the auction held by a 'rival' firm, and the people bidding on it appeared to be the only ones in the room - apart from some unknown telephone bidder who suddenly appeared after the auctioneer had repeatedly tried to find other bidders in the room.

The unknown telephone bidder then bid the price up to the reserve and the mugs, I mean the bidders, in the room then got it when the telephone bidder pulled out.

So what are you suggesting? Folks should turn up for their first every auction, all prepped with money in the bank and good to go? Maybe they could be obliged to make a bid on the very first lot, just to give them a proper feeling of things.

The only harm done by the people you are complaining about is that they take up a seat. All the sharks stand at the back anyway.

I was about to go to a local auction recently, with no intention of bidding. I was interested in a particular house that had been up with an EA for yonks. It didn't sell at auction and surprise, surprise is now with a different EA at £5k more than the auction guide. It will sit there until the next ice age, or until the price expectation gets sensible.

You are missing my point. What i am saying is that people claim they had no intention of buying, and they walked in off the street sort of thing out of interest, but that is not true because they have to be registered and proof of ID etc to have come out with a house.

Flicked over to BBC2.

'Best of' homes under the hammer.

Holy shit. Even the BBC are getting desperate. The game must be over :)

Two from ten years ago. Both obviously sets if flats - so the ' profit' will be larger. ( If it ever even happened of course).

One by a ' property tycoon ' with a ' portfolio' of half a billion....

The other some young bloke up in Morecambe.

Both made huge ' profits ' of course. The final bit had ' Money for nothing' as the theme tune.

Desperation. Sheer desperation.

I get it. I think what people have missed from the OP is people on HUTH being interviewed AFTER they have BOUGHT some auction lot and THEN professing they only came to the auction out of curiosity etc.

Flicked over to this yesterday for first time in ages. Did not dissapoint.

House in some outlying area of Newcastle. Sold at auction for 48k - to give you an idea of the area its in.

Bloke planned to spend circa 10k on it - as the roof needed done - and the usual basic new kitchen , vases of twigs etc..

EA said that once done up would be worth £60k. Interesting - I wondered how they would spin this one.

6 months later - back to see it done up - ok looking but your standard cheap upgrade. Roof fixed. Bloke spent 18k instead of 10k.

Interesting. Spent 66k on a house now worth 60k. Just how are they gonna spin this one ? Are they going to use that bad word they do once in a blue moon ? "Loss"

Nope.

Bring in two other EA's - not the one previously who stated 60k. Not an accident I assume.

One values at 75k and the other at 80k.

Incredible. So in a run down area just outside of Newcastle prices for small terraced houses increased by 33% in 6 months ? Really ? How extraordinay !!

Its no wonder so many are conned by this programme. I imagine many won't have the mental capacity to remember the figures quoted at the start - and just hear the "PROFIT !!!" - and decide 'oh look how easy is that let's do it ourselves.

The other one on before was a bloke who had done precisely zero in two years with a dilapidated barn or similar. Apparently basic sketches and plans of a potential house on the site = £140k profit.

Staggeringly corrupt TV.

Its no wonder so many are conned by this programme. I imagine many won't have the mental capacity to remember the figures quoted at the start - and just hear the "PROFIT !!!" - and decide 'oh look how easy is that let's do it ourselves.

Staggeringly corrupt TV.

You spotted it...

You spotted it...

Good point - I am a dufus !!

However I was looking out for this - most will just have it on in the background and hear the hallowed word "profit" over and over again.

House in some outlying area of Newcastle. Sold at auction for 48k - to give you an idea of the area its in.

Bloke planned to spend circa 10k on it - as the roof needed done - and the usual basic new kitchen , vases of twigs etc..

EA said that once done up would be worth £60k. Interesting - I wondered how they would spin this one.

6 months later - back to see it done up - ok looking but your standard cheap upgrade. Roof fixed. Bloke spent 18k instead of 10k.

Interesting. Spent 66k on a house now worth 60k. Just how are they gonna spin this one ? Are they going to use that bad word they do once in a blue moon ? "Loss"

Nope.

Bring in two other EA's - not the one previously who stated 60k. Not an accident I assume.

One values at 75k and the other at 80k.

Incredible. So in a run down area just outside of Newcastle prices for small terraced houses increased by 33% in 6 months ? Really ? How extraordinay !!

The other one on before was a bloke who had done precisely zero in two years with a dilapidated barn or similar. Apparently basic sketches and plans of a potential house on the site = £140k profit.

Staggeringly corrupt TV.

Have a look at the number of transactions and sales prices for NEx.

Fell off the cliff in 2005 and have never returned.

Some ofthe new build crap is showing a return of -50% over the last 10 years.

Did they say what year?

2004 it's possible.

They came back SEVEN years later. Yes that's correct. Then went on about some nonsense story about how all the work just dragged on.

What really happened - and I would bet my ******** on this - is they went back a few years after - which happened to be circa 2009-10 , as this bloke bought at the peak of 2007 - worked out their would have been a big loss - so kept it on the back burner until they could tell everyone it was a profit. Its lies, it's corrupt - and numpties that buy TV licenses fund this.

7 years ffs for a property renovation show - it was a shitty wee terrace not a castle on 300,000 acres ffs. Total 100% con.

Edited by ccc

Think he was alluding to the fact the people were portrayed as just going to have a look and ended up buying a place would not have been able to bid if they had not jumped throh the hoops and provided proof off ID/ proof of Funds in some cases at which point im pretty sure one would not be just window shopping

I'm in SHOCK!!!

Today's prog (Feb 2015) showed the amazingly smart and shrewd investors have made £10k profit - after all their work and not including auction buy fee and selling agent fee - on paper.

Before reducing AP.

:lol: