House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

DTMark

The Journey Of The Pineapple

One to two years ago, a farmer planted some seeds in a far off country - say, Hawaii. From these grew a pineapple.

Said farmer then employed a group of people to pick the pineapples. They went onto the back of a truck and got driven to the farm, sorted, put into creates, probably to a depot, and then onto a plane to be flown abroad.

Plane arrives in the UK, fruit unloaded, off to a warehouse somewhere then onwards in yet another HGV to a distribution centre. Eventually ending up being despatched to a supermarket. Into cold storage, finally onto the shelves where it was bought by a consumer in the UK for the princely sum of 99p in LIDL.

It sat in the fruit bowl bursting with promise, not quite ripe yet. Leaves don't "give" easily. We'll give it another day or two.

Two days later said pineapple has gone from unripe to festering and rotten. And despite all that effort and all those man hours, the above being abbreviated for brevity and from a detailed lack of knowledge of the rearing of pineapples, it goes in the bin.

So ends the life of the pineapple.

There is something wrong with this.

Discuss.

So ends the life of the pineapple.

Whose growth and journey across the globe was fueled by petrochemicals from oceanic life that lived on our planet 100's of millions of years ago, oceanic life that sucked carbon from the atmosphere creating a climate suitable for the growth of the pineapple in Hawaii today, a pineapple whose final decay 1000's of miles away affects the cycle of carbon.

Same issue with Mangos, or I suspect any fruit that needs to be harvested before it is ripe.

Even more frustrating are strawberries.. I'm not sure if I've just been unlucky, but all of the out-of-season ones you get at the moment from Spain seem to be hard and flavourless.

I expect they are bred like this especially because they travel better.. but what is the point of something travelling well if it doesn't taste good?

Same issue with Mangos, or I suspect any fruit that needs to be harvested before it is ripe.

Even more frustrating are strawberries.. I'm not sure if I've just been unlucky, but all of the out-of-season ones you get at the moment from Spain seem to be hard and flavourless.

I expect they are bred like this especially because they travel better.. but what is the point of something travelling well if it doesn't taste good?

We have everything, but in fact we have nothing. Less is more.

Cos people want to eat strawberries all year round.

I eat almost no tomatoes from the supermarket. Ate one last week as it had been put on my plate. It was hard and not very nice. But I am a good dinner guest.

Same with apples, which is bizarre seeing as apples grow very well here.

The thing is, 100 years ago we had a choice of hundreds of different apples, each for a specific season, use, or area.

Now we have a choice of about half a dozen varieties each as devoid of merit as the next. All grown far away, picked long before they are ripe, kept in cold storage in an inert atmosphere, then force ripened with ethene.

Sure they look pretty. They look perfect. But they have as much flavor as a mattress.

Sure they look pretty. They look perfect. But they have as much flavor as a mattress.

and are nutritionally pointless by the time they are eaten

For some reason, people seem to want to spend their 'hard-earned' on overpriced cr4p. The sheeple have been educated well.

Strawberries should only be eaten in season in the UK. Tinned pineapple would solve so many issues. I once had a wonderful gf who was wonderfully obsessed with pineapple rings ;)

This post is probably my peak for the week.

Strawberries should only be eaten in season in the UK. Tinned pineapple would solve so many issues. I once had a wonderful gf who was wonderfully obsessed with pineapple rings ;)

This post is probably my peak for the week.

Show off.

I've been looking for a girl obsessed with polol mints for years.

Don't buy pineapple, to be honest l have only ever bought fresh pineapple in this country once or twice......buy tinned if you have to.

Oranges, grapefruit and lemons are good foreign fruits to buy, stay fresher for longer, don't travel so far and you can always make lovely marmalade with fruit you don't feel like eating today....will keep for months. ;)

One of the weirdest things I saw in a supermarket were Australian parsnips! They looked just like British ones. :blink:

One of the weirdest things I saw in a supermarket were Australian parsnips! They looked just like British ones. :blink:

I take it you didn't spot the pouch. ;)

I take it you didn't spot the pouch. ;)

Obviously, the supermarket displayed them upside-down!

Obviously, the supermarket displayed them upside-down!

It wouldn't make that much of a different, you would peel it off anyway.......paying extra for something that gets thrown away. ;)

It wouldn't make that much of a different, you would peel it off anyway.......paying extra for something that gets thrown away. ;)

You can make wine from parsnips! ;)

I bought a pineapple once in Laos, at a bus stop in a village on the way down from Luang Prabang to Vientienne.

super-sweet and juicy; it was probably picked ripe off the bush. i've never found another as good since.

probably never will.

Fame affects us all in different ways! ;)

I bought a pineapple once in Laos, at a bus stop in a village on the way down from Luang Prabang to Vientienne.

super-sweet and juicy; it was probably picked ripe off the bush. i've never found another as good since.

probably never will.

You could always go back. A decent slice of pineapple would surely be worth it.

I haven't had a nice pineapple for years. Even the ones advertised as "super sweet" or whatever are invariably lame, and I rarely buy them, but funnily enough, I do have one sitting on my window sill right now. One solution is to eat them with sliced banana, which also works with strawberries.

Don't fall for that pulling the leaf out spiel. Just smell them, they taste exactly like they smell. Like melons.

probably never will.

I'm not really a fan of fruit, but I had some 'black' pineapple from a roadside stall in Antigua when I was on holiday there, and it was quite superb. I don't tend to buy them here, they're often attractively cheap but I never get round to eating them. I do like pineapple juice however!

I only buy organic and even more importantly fairtrade pineapples, this quote from wikipedia tells you why:

Three-quarters of pineapples sold in Europe are grown in Costa Rica, where pineapple production is highly industrialised. Growers typically use 20 kg of pesticides per hectare in each growing cycle, a process that may affect soil quality and biodiversity. The pesticides – organophosphates, organochlorines and hormone disruptors – have the potential to affect workers' health and can contaminate local drinking water supplies. Many of these chemicals have potential to be carcinogens, and may be related to birth defects.

Because of commercial pressures, many pineapple workers – 60% of whom are Nicaraguan – in Costa Rica are paid low wages. European supermarkets' price-reduction policies have lowered growers' incomes.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pineapple

Also don't throw away the internal middle stem, cut it in slices (to cut the fibrous strings) and puree it in a blender as it's packed with healthy enzymes and fibre.

---

Also don't throw away the internal middle stem, cut it in slices (to cut the fibrous strings) and puree it in a blender as it's packed with healthy enzymes and fibre.

Just eat it, you wimp.

Parsnip chips are fun to make. ;)

I'd like to come over to your house! I'm always disturbed people say their kids don't eat vegetables! Parsnip chips are wonderful! :blink:

If you've got a decent Indian greengrocers near you, look out for alphonso mangoes during May-July. Make sure each one is in good condition with a rich smell, and I promise you will never have eaten anything so delicious.

Edit: actually, it sounds like the season's started. Bhavans, here I come...