House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

200p

Fred West Documentary Sends House Prices Soaring

'I brought my two hands up and grabbed her around the neck': Chilling interview with serial killer Fred West talking casually about how he strangled his 16-year-old daughter to be aired in new documentary

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2597641/She-cut-Heather-dustbin-Our-daughter-DUSTBIN-The-chilling-confession-serial-killer-Fred-West-16-year-old-daughters-murder-heard-new-television-documentary.html

Comment

PositivelyPerturbed, London, United Kingdom, 17 hours ago

I own a house on that street. It's a great money-spinner because peoples morbid curiosity tend to get the better of them.

I just had a brainwave of how to increase the value of the UK housing stock. The government runs a competition each year for each city, town and village. The winner with the nicest house (from the road outside), gets to win £50K.

Now everyone will tidy up their house, and give it a lick of paint. This will "boost" house prices further, maybe by a few hundred million or even a few billion, stimulating the economy through people buying stuff like paint. It will only cost the government a few million in prize money and a few people driving around to view.

Perhaps get a D-list celeb to drive around with a TV crew, and perhaps the admin costs will be next to nothing. Free TV show too which can be aired all the time during the day! Trebles all round!

I just had a brainwave of how to increase the value of the UK housing stock. The government runs a competition each year for each city, town and village. The winner with the nicest house (from the road outside), gets to win £50K.

Now everyone will tidy up their house, and give it a lick of paint. This will "boost" house prices further, maybe by a few hundred million or even a few billion, stimulating the economy through people buying stuff like paint. It will only cost the government a few million in prize money and a few people driving around to view.

Perhaps get a D-list celeb to drive around with a TV crew, and perhaps the admin costs will be next to nothing. Free TV show too which can be aired all the time during the day! Trebles all round!

Now THAT is a fantastic idea. Escape to the country and bargain hunt are getting a little long in the tooth. I do however think pointless should stay though.

In all honesty though daytime TV is so much better than 15 years ago,

I attended a wedding at the church next door to 25 Cromwell Street in 1995, after the Wests had been tried but before it was demolished. The relatives of mine getting married there would have preferred another venue under the circumstances, but it was not only the church they had attended since childhood, but the only Seventh-day Adventist church within 100 miles that could accommodate their planned wedding date. I remember that there was a policeman outside no. 25 and that the property clearly looked abandoned.

The subject of course came up at the reception, but the speculation then was that an address in or around Cromwell Street was at risk of declining in value because of the Wests, not increasing.

Within a decade or so I guess it'll make very little difference, because very few people will have heard of the Wests, especially younger people in the FTB market, which that area looked to me like it was mainly inhabited by. Within another 20-30 years the only people who'll know what went on in Cromwell Street are those who have read a local history book.

Lick of paint on all the houses in your street. Potted bay trees all round. Residents club together to establish a small artisan baker's shop or deli - watch those prices rocket!

Lick of paint on all the houses in your street. Potted bay trees all round. Residents club together to establish a small artisan baker's shop or deli - watch those prices rocket!

Why would you then want to move? ;-)

:)

I spy a Leafmould plotline!

Why would you then want to move? ;-)

Little Tarquin cant go to the local school, we need to be in the 'right' area for his school

Little Tarquin cant go to the local school, we need to be in the 'right' area for his school

Make the nearest school the right school?

Make the nearest school the right school?

Wackford Pin's academy for young gentlemen? :blink: