House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

@contradevian

When Runners Go Rogue

Got cancelled at last minute due to lack of water, so runners ran anyway!

http://www.mirror.co...ed-last-3380848

'Elf and Safety gone mad?

these things are organised over months..fees paid etc etc.

Mrs Loo, who runs in these things carries her own water...at a watering station I was waiting for her, most people who even bothered with the sponsored water just poured it over their heads.

I have never trained for a half marathon, or a full marathon.

When people train for these events, presumably they do complete the full distance occasionally before the actual event. What do they do about bottled water ?

When people train for these events, presumably they do complete the full distance occasionally before the actual event. What do they do about bottled water ?

They take it with them.

But tbh, I run for an hour at least twice per week and I have no issues with water or food at all. Sometimes on the day after I feel a bit hungry.

It's probably all to do with insurance. If some lardy person who hasn't done the proper training collapses 7 hours into the course then no doubt the papers would be screaming about the lack of water.

no headphones allowed either...something about traffic...course, as you point out, runners run with headphones every day...just not on the organisers time.

They take it with them.

But tbh, I run for an hour at least twice per week and I have no issues with water or food at all. Sometimes on the day after I feel a bit hungry.

It's probably all to do with insurance. If some lardy person who hasn't done the proper training collapses 7 hours into the course then no doubt the papers would be screaming about the lack of water.

I used to run 6k every day so have no experience of real dehydration, except once when I got lost in a desert, which was the most frightening experience of my life as I knew I was lost and knew what might happen, which fortunately didn't as I'm typing this.

After decades of progress and evolution, this is cutting edge stuff. We are the pioneering forefront of human advancement.

South Yorkshire Police said it had initially tried to set up road blocks

This might have been amusing coming a day after the Grand National.

This might have been amusing coming a day after the Grand National.

Makes me wonder exactly how your average bunch of police would stop a large squad of determined marathon runners, and what they would charge them with if they managed to catch them.

Makes me wonder exactly how your average bunch of police would stop a large squad of determined marathon runners, and what they would charge them with if they managed to catch them.

I think if you ignore the police they just make something up, like they try and stop you, you run away and you're prosecuted for assaulting a police officer.

They .... always .... win.

I ran 10 miles just yesterday morning, no extra hydration other than the usual couple of cups of tea on a morning before I left. Clearly an extra 3 miles would have been possible without a water station. I sounds like they had some, but not enough. Surely a message over the tannoy of, we are a bit short of water, only take what you need would have done the trick.

Plenty of people will have travelled to take part, it just sounds really rubish.

Some of the 5000 people tried to run it anyway - I don't see the problem? They can chuck away their running numbers, and run on public pavements (maybe they should all spread out a bit). The clip board people and box ticking officers can all go home, but the event can still run unofficially.

I've done a half marathon with no extra water. I was thirsty when I finished, but that's it.

I used to run 6k every day so have no experience of real dehydration, except once when I got lost in a desert, which was the most frightening experience of my life as I knew I was lost and knew what might happen, which fortunately didn't as I'm typing this.

oh come on that's a story worth telling properly :D

^Yes, it's one of those Ray Mears survival in the desert type stories.

Did you stay put? Or try to walk out of there? Did anyone know your whereabouts?

oh come on that's a story worth telling properly :D

It's more very foolish than anything - one of those learning experiences when you realise 'ahhh' or 'how could I have been so stupid". I had been distracted tracking a snake much further than I thought when a dust devil came right at me and blew out all my tracks and spun me around as I kept my eyes out of the sand - lost my Tilly Hat too.. Half a minute of panic as I realised how far I had walked and that everywhere looked exactly the same in every direction, and I only had 1l of water. Then a plan based upon the direction of the sun, which worked, more by luck than judgement.

No one knew my whereabouts.

I have had several other learning experiences.

The other thing to bear in mind is that runners not surprisingly want to run. Se of the guys at the front may have been holding off for a week to put in a good time on this.

Runners are a bit like racehorses in that regard. And like sheep in the respect that once the guys at the front go everyone else will just pile on through.

The other thing to bear in mind is that runners not surprisingly want to run. Se of the guys at the front may have been holding off for a week to put in a good time on this.

Runners are a bit like racehorses in that regard. And like sheep in the respect that once the guys at the front go everyone else will just pile on through.

I'd have piled through, no question. Plod can catch me if he can! I've never heard of this situation before.

Makes me wonder exactly how your average bunch of police would stop a large squad of determined marathon runners, and what they would charge them with if they managed to catch them?

'doing a runner?'

Yes - I guess they just haven't had the £billions upon £billions diverted to it. It actually looks like that estate in Slough where the Office was shot. (I've been there and Betjeman was right)

I'm fairly sure there are ropy-looking places everywhere. You don't need to select them as part of a half-marathon event though. It struck me that in addition to failing to provide water the event organisers picked an unappealing route. I wasn't slurring Sheffield, I had rather assumed there would be sufficient nicer bits to send the runners through.

"No refunds will be given to runners who entered Sheffield's Half Marathon despite its cancellation, race organisers have said."

I'm fairly sure there are ropy-looking places everywhere. You don't need to select them as part of a half-marathon event though. It struck me that in addition to failing to provide water the event organisers picked an unappealing route. I wasn't slurring Sheffield, I had rather assumed there would be sufficient nicer bits to send the runners through.

Let's face it, if you're going to have to send someone into that area, it's best to send someone capable of moving at a sustained pace of over 7 mph.