House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

EmmaRoid

Broken Lcd Tv

I've a 2006 Samsung TV that malfunctioned whilst being watched last night.

It looks like the picture has shifted about 20% to the right , losing that part of the picture and The left hand side has a large vertical blue bar. The issue occurs from all sources connected. Additionally the picture is a little shaky.

I have not yet tried a reset on the TV as I need to find the instructions, LE32R74BD, and the original remote.

The problem sounds exactly like this: http://www.diynot.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=1764943

Although from googling it doesn't seem particularly common. There's a suggestion there that this type of problem might be repairable. I am open to (TV related :P) suggestions.

Maybe it thinks it is back home in Korea... I'd try a factory reset.

I have all samsung tvs/monitors, this usually works:

Put TV on standby and then push in series these buttons on the remote: 'info, menu, mute, power' the TV will then turn itself on and display a menu.

Press the 'down arrow' until you've highlighted option 12 - 'reset' and then press the 'right arrow' to enter the option. TV will turn off and when you turn back on it will start in 'plug & play' mode as if new.

Put TV on standby and then push in series these buttons on the remote: 'info, menu, mute, power' the TV will then turn itself on and display a menu.

Press the 'down arrow' until you've highlighted option 12 - 'reset' and then press the 'right arrow' to enter the option. TV will turn off and when you turn back on it will start in 'plug & play' mode as if new.

Thanks. I'll give it a go with the 3rd party universal remote but will have a look for the proper remote later.

Nope, still farked.

It did the right stuff, now auto tuning but problem remains. My TVs birthday is 25 august 2006 though

Thanks. I'll give it a go with the 3rd party universal remote but will have a look for the proper remote later.

It's up your bum, and you will have to go to hospital to get it out! ;)

It's up your bum, and you will have to go to hospital to get it out! ;)

After what I drank on Friday, there is nothing up my bum. I'm as clean as whistle up there.

After what I drank on Friday, there is nothing up my bum. I'm as clean as whistle up there.

I am completely in favour of moderate drinking! You have to have your "five a day"or is it seven now? ;)

My dad was quite good at banging the top of the tv every day when the picture rolled...memories!

Nope, still farked.

It did the right stuff, now auto tuning but problem remains. My TVs birthday is 25 august 2006 though

So in real terms its replacement will be much less than you paid then. Thank goodness for hedonics.

I've a 2006 Samsung TV that malfunctioned whilst being watched last night.

Looks like you have been lucky, Samsung's planned obsolescence break-point has kicked in rather late... <_<

You could try bring it to your nearest repair cafe:

http://repaircafe.org/

Is it an HD tv, what happens when you shift definition, or switch from say 16:9 to 4:3?

I know you said all sources have the same fault, have you tried a different HDMI cable?

Looking at the link you provided it does look like a good old fashioned 'vertical hold' adjustment, however how easy that is to do on LCD set I'm not sure. I've only ever adjusted old CRT sets.

So in real terms its replacement will be much less than you paid then. Thank goodness for hedonics.

8 years is a very reasonable lifespan for a tele these days...You could of course try and get it fixed, but you'd probably get towards the price of a new one...and the trouble is, do you then trust it, or will you splashing out xx amount again in a years time?

Depending on what size you want, but for instance, currys have a 32" Samsung F5000 for £250...

Looks like you have been lucky, Samsung's planned obsolescence break-point has kicked in rather late... <_<

You could try bring it to your nearest repair cafe:

http://repaircafe.org/

No, the planned obsolescence kicked in at 4 years but those bastards at John Lewis fixed it instead of replacing with a bigger better newer model.

Those bastards and their good service. Makes me sick.

Is it an HD tv, what happens when you shift definition, or switch from say 16:9 to 4:3?

I know you said all sources have the same fault, have you tried a different HDMI cable?

Looking at the link you provided it does look like a good old fashioned 'vertical hold' adjustment, however how easy that is to do on LCD set I'm not sure. I've only ever adjusted old CRT sets.

Happens over HDMI, scart and the integrated tuners (analogue and digital) so definitely a screen output problem.

I replaced the TV but just before i unplugged it for potentially the last time, my wife told me that it was working properly for a few minutes on that last day but the problem quickly returned.

Its been switched off for 2 weeks but last Night I tried it hoping that like Jesus it would rise from the dead. It being Easter and all. Did it work? No.

So this morning I loaded it into the boot of the car with more soft furnishings to protect it than a high class Parisienne bordello. And after work, I head in the wrong direction, up to the big smoke to see a man who might fix it.

I get there, braving rush hour traffic on a Friday afternoon with my nerves mostly frayed. The nice man plugs it in, fumbles around for the standby button like a 14 year old pawing his girlfriend and, bugger me, it worked. How we laughed. Not.

So I loaded it back in the car, got it home, put it on a table and plugged it in.

Did it work?

did it ****

The best thing about my new tv is that with a couple of (finger) taps, I can send that video from my phone to the TV in all its massive imperial glory.

Tellies are on standby all night now, could be cooked capacitors in the power supply? One of my Powerline adapters died recently due to one chubby little capacitor failing (probably underspecced at 6.3V to fit in the cramped space).

It's probably not worth fixing it, unless still under warranty! My TV is failing to receive anything. I have a freeview box incase I actually want to see anythig on TV, but I usually watch films.

Tellies are on standby all night now, could be cooked capacitors in the power supply? One of my Powerline adapters died recently due to one chubby little capacitor failing (probably underspecced at 6.3V to fit in the cramped space).

I just did the caps on the power board of my 5 year LG plasma (it wouldn't come out of stand by), simple process if your confident with a soldering iron and screw driver.

I just did the caps on the power board of my 5 year LG plasma (it wouldn't come out of stand by), simple process if your confident with a soldering iron and screw driver.

That's interesting! I thought they were unfixable! My amplifier is playing up. Maybe it's fixable?

It must be some sort of lose connection/dry joint as its 95% functional even when its defective not a catastrophic failure.

Who needs the right hand fifth of the picture anyway?

That's interesting! I thought they were unfixable! My amplifier is playing up. Maybe it's fixable?

Playing up as in???