House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
or in excess of

A Quality New Build, Anyone?

http://www.plymouthh...tail/story.html

What they moaning about, they are " on the ladder" at least.

Every time I read about how much new housing we need I GROAN when I think about the current quality of new housing!

Developers appear to hold LPA's to ransom over newbuild housing where anything goes with most developers hiring their own building control and the Council having very little do with anything and EVERYONE expecting the quality to be poor and developer's to not comply with any regulations. Its the "norm".

I have more hope about individual new builds where the LPA, as we know, will ENFORCE stringent control, where the big developers just ride rough shod over the system and NOBODY expects them to do otherwise. Our local Parish Council said it was "unrealistic to expect developer's to comply with Regulations!" and thought residents would be mad to expect them to do so!

....breeze blocks, concrete, plasterboard, and chipboard sheets, paper thin dividing walls and floors.......what happened to floorboards? Thick beams, quality natural local stone?..........best to do your own survey to check out what you are paying for...a bathroom and kitchen can be replaced. ;)

A bit surprised that damp and mould are big issues, that is the one thing that plasterboard has over solid walls it tends to be warmer and therefore does not condense moisture.

Friends I have in new builds, there biggest issue is cracking interior plaster, it is almost a given with new builds. It's not covered by the guarantee and looks pretty scary and I would have thought a bit of a depresser when you have forked out big money.

Another issue with new builds is the area, the plots. Basically they have drawn the short straw all the plumb locations are built on. The nonsense of no front garden is the killer for me. Like a house nicely set back in the privacy of a genuine plot.

Edited by crashmonitor

its funny how completely divergent planning for large estates and for individual/self build homes is. Looking at the planning docs on local authority websites for plots ive seen, its like two different planning policies running side by side.

If you're a large developer, you are forced to cram in dozens per acre, provide no more than one or two parking spaces for cars. usually on street (or a private space marked by nothing other than a splash of paint), build right up to the street, 3 storeys or more.

If you're wanting to self build, must provide ample parking, PLUS turning space for a car so you dont have to reverse onto the carriageway. The space alone required to do that is often more than the entire plot space for some estate houses. Cant develop higher than any property on that street, must not shadow any part of any neighbours plot etc etc.

Just seems comical how they lecture some about things like 'visibility splays' while simultaneously approving/encouraging entire estates with near zero visibility round corners, driveways, or light and shading when new estates are dark and claustrophobic.

A bit surprised that damp and mould are big issues, that is the one thing that plasterboard has over solid walls it tends to be warmer and therefore does not condense moisture.

Friends I have in new builds, there biggest issue is cracking interior plaster, it is almost a given with new builds. It's not covered by the guarantee and looks pretty scary and I would have thought a bit of a depresser when you have forked out big money.

Another issue with new builds is the area, the plots. Basically they have drawn the short straw all the plumb locations are built on. The nonsense of no front garden is the killer for me. Like a house nicely set back in the privacy of a genuine plot.

The house settling?

I hate the no garden at the front, why do you want to step straight on to the street?

The house settling?

I hate the no garden at the front, why do you want to step straight on to the street?

....No, no longer a garden a place to park a car ( because you can't get it in the garage, and if you did manage it, you wouldn't be able to get out of the car)...... ;)

http://www.plymouthh...tail/story.html

What they moaning about, they are " on the ladder" at least.

Exactly.

For some people, buying your own home is just a dream but one young family was determined to get on to the property ladder.

"We managed to buy the home with just five per cent deposit, which meant we could afford a bigger home than we previously thought and it's reassuring that we have the extra room available, as we have the space to grow."Jamie, 26, works for South West Highways and partner Lucy, 22, is mum to their two year old daughter, Elsie.

"We really love our new home, we pay £588 per month towards our mortgage and have a gorgeous three bedroom home for our family so it's worked really well for us. It would cost £750 per month to rent our house so we're saving over £175 a month - we love that we're paying off our mortgage now and not someone else's by renting!

http://www.lindenhom...er-cent-deposit

"This affects everybody. We all want to sell up but we can't. The way the developers have treated us all is disgusting and they don't seem to have given a toss. I want to form this committee so that it could be an effective force against them."

http://www.cornishgu...tail/story.html

....breeze blocks, concrete, plasterboard, and chipboard sheets, paper thin dividing walls and floors.......what happened to floorboards? Thick beams, quality natural local stone?..........best to do your own survey to check out what you are paying for...a bathroom and kitchen can be replaced. ;)

Even at the top end of the new build market, in the millions and tens of millions of pounds, the properties lack substance and grand proportions.

A while ago I lived in a new build for 6 years. After living in a traditional stone cottage with solid interior walls, floorboards and slate roof it was a shock! The overall shoddiness with cracking plaster, burst internal water pipes, cracked roof tiles, cheap timber frame, chipboard, paper thin walls and a dislike to having no solum or floorboards was something I never got used to.

Back in a more traditional place now that will outlast that newbuild I was in. I heard a newbuild is built to last approx 30 years before some kind of major repair work needs done. Don't know if that's true or not.

People are perhaps seduced by the thought of something being new, low maintenance and lasting a long time, I was at the time. I had more problems in that newbuild than an old fishermans cottage. Like you say we should check out and research what we're paying for and consider its quality.