House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

okaycuckoo

Arthur Smith Is Dead

Boogie Smith died age 93.

He had to sue the film company.

Jeez, I didn't know Glen Campbell can play ... until it gets tough:

edit: can't embed Youtubes anymore.Anyway, it's a fun piece of music.

He was a highly rated studio session guitarist before he made his own records, the little run he does at the end shows great technique, very practiced.

He was a highly rated studio session guitarist before he made his own records, the little run he does at the end shows great technique, very practiced.

I defer. I suppose the banjo makes picking easier?

I defer. I suppose the banjo makes picking easier?

Well they are playing different parts, I suppose Campbell`s is the more rhythmic part, while the banjo is playing more lead lines?

Is Glen Campbell still alive? Sure I saw a documentary a couple of years ago where he was pretty ill and run down, but the live and studio clips showed him as a great guitarist. Willie Nelson is another brilliant and underrated (by mainstream standards) guitarist IMO.

Well they are playing different parts, I suppose Campbell`s is the more rhythmic part, while the banjo is playing more lead lines?

Is Glen Campbell still alive? Sure I saw a documentary a couple of years ago where he was pretty ill and run down, but the live and studio clips showed him as a great guitarist. Willie Nelson is another brilliant and underrated (by mainstream standards) guitarist IMO.

Willie Nelson not bothering with guitar - OOO-OOO-OOO:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rQyeskd8CgA

He had to sue the film company.

Jeez, I didn't know Glen Campbell can play ... until it gets tough:

edit: can't embed Youtubes anymore.Anyway, it's a fun piece of music.

glen campbell was a session musician, along with dr john leon russell jim gordon etc (collectively known as the wrecking crew) who played for phil spector brian wilson and almost certainly played on of most of the byrds big hits.

glen campbell was a session musician, along with dr john leon russell jim gordon etc (collectively known as the wrecking crew) who played for phil spector brian wilson and almost certainly played on of most of the byrds big hits.

Glen Campbell is still with us. He unfortunately has Alzheimer's. Had an album out last year and was featured on a BBC4 documentary recently. Surprisingly good guitarist (Wrecking Crew stood in for Brian Wilson in the Beach Boys too in the 60s). Some classic songs and quite a legacy - with a little help from Jimmy Webb.

Aye, bad times indeed for the Smith family - it's not that long since their Mel shuttled off.

Plus their Cyril pegged-it a while back.

Heaven knows they're miserable now...

XYY

Here is the original Feudin Banjos recorded by Smith with Dan Reno

https://www.google.c...=Feuding+Banjos

Amazing speed and technique shown by both musicians.

Makes the film version look positively sedate

The guys were trained professional musicians a million miles from the hillbillies of popular imagination

Interesting - makes me rethink. Double bass instead of guitar, so a different experience. Thanks for the link.

The real attraction in the modern version is the contrast between banjo & guitar. Strumming is pleasant, then the supersonic banjo picking adds energy.

No! I watched it! I do not want ot buy a car in Wales, thanks! :o

Enjoy MrPin wit - so long as I get it. Something to do with car ads in Wales?

Just pointing out WN is a genius song-writer.

Interesting - makes me rethink. Double bass instead of guitar, so a different experience. Thanks for the link.

The real attraction in the modern version is the contrast between banjo & guitar. Strumming is pleasant, then the supersonic banjo picking adds energy.

The problem with the portrayal of the music in the film Deliverance is that is not authentic. The hillbillies of the Appalachians normally played the banjo in the simple claw hammer style yet the music in Dueling Banjos is essentially Bluegrass which was a picking style largely created and played by professional musicians such as Reno and Smith. It is not something that the average hick from the sticks would have been capable of reproducing.

http://pathfinderbluegrass.com/id16.html

The problem with the portrayal of the music in the film Deliverance is that is not authentic. The hillbillies of the Appalachians normally played the banjo in the simple claw hammer style yet the music in Dueling Banjos is essentially Bluegrass which was a picking style largely created and played by professional musicians such as Reno and Smith. It is not something that the average hick from the sticks would have been capable of reproducing.

http://pathfinderblu...s.com/id16.html

What problem? Big difference between the auttentic and the professional - but you no like the music?

What problem? Big difference between the auttentic and the professional - but you no like the music?

The music is fine but the scene in the film grates a bit as it is as full of cliches and stereotypes as Gone With The Winds portrayal of black people

http://pathfinderbluegrass.com/id16.html

I think they hit people over the head with Fender Telecasters! Ad that hurts! ;)

The music is fine but the scene in the film grates a bit as it is as full of cliches and stereotypes as Gone With The Winds portrayal of black people

There are no "bleck people". I deny the existence of Shirley Bassey, even though I saw her once, and like her a lot! :huh: