House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
interestrateripoff

The Priest With The Property Empire: Father Gregory Turns A Tidy Profit As His Latest £3Million Development Sells Out In Just A Week

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2596902/The-priest-property-empire-Father-Gregory-turns-tidy-profit-latest-3million-development-sells-just-week.html

Father Gregory Grant, 63, went into business with a parishioner in 1998

He now runs PG Group from a converted office above his Bristol church

15 of the 17 properties in Bristol sold out on the first day with 66 viewings

Works 7.30am - 11pm in week - tends to parishioners evenings/weekends

Father Gregory gives a third of the profits to church projects

A Catholic priest who juggles his calling with property developing has sold all 17 of his new properties sold out within a week.

Father Gregory Grant, 63, went into business with a parishioner in 1998 and now runs the PG Group from a converted office above his Bristol church.

The company has built up a large portfolio by buying dilapidated city centre buildings and turning them into much-needed accommodation.

Their latest $3million project in the city centre has proved to be a commercial success with 15 of the 17 properties selling out on the first day, after 66 viewings.

The two and three bedroom homes, converted from a former council owned houses which had become derelict, were mainly purchased by young couples.

The properties were priced from £149,000 to £195,000 for two bedroom properties and £245,000 for a three bed unit.

Father Gregory has always considered God to be the 'third partner' in the business and as such gives a third of the profits to church projects.

Helping to raise prices and price more people out. Doing Gods work.

I wonder if any of the profits go to the homeless? Perhaps doing social housing might be more godly?

I think that is unfair. He is actually doing something. Renovating dillapidated property and selling it to young couples with a large % of profits going to his church.

What have I done this week? Or even you?

Been ill.

No he could do more and provide social housing.

He is creating homes from dilapidated property which I don't see a problem with. At least he is helping to reduce the housing shortage unlike BTLers that simply buy an existing home. What he does with the profits is his business. Good luck to him.

It's not his fault prices are rising.

Sellers don't push up prices, buyers do.

Individual buyers. The blessed victims who can do no wrong.

Well technically the government is to blame for not controlling inflation. You know, house price inflation, the kind that doesn't count, because it's not an iPad.

He claims that he's pumping the profit back into his church's ministry. If he genuinely is, then I'm in two minds about that. On the one hand, the RC church has done some genuinely good work in fighting poverty in some of the world's nastiest places. Yet on the other, his operation is helping to cause the problem that his church's ministry then tries to alleviate, i.e. contributing to the housing bubble which in turn will increase the number of people needing charitable assistance. He is proving the Chinese proverb, "Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day, but teach him how to fish and he will eat for a lifetime". What this priest is doing is essentially raising the money to buy lots of fish to give to people, by denying those people the opportunitiy to learn to fish for themselves.

I think that is unfair. He is actually doing something. Renovating dillapidated property and selling it to young couples with a large % of profits going to his church.

What have I done this week? Or even you?

how right you are!!!

if only you knew just how right you are......the scale of this "benevolence" might shock you.

lets face it, nothing unusual in the historic scale of things.

if you were a heretic,they would kick you off church land and starve you in yesteryear....what on earth makes you think they have changed?

they do it these days with hedge funds and clandestine banking operations rather than a direct assault.

...the USA is where it gets fun,because they were formed by "heretics"

...if they think for one minute that either mad mullahs or holy roman empire 2.0 is going to steal their goodies..think again.

but in the spirit of civility,uncle sam will pay hospitality to the popes emissaries.

...they've renovated the popes throne for him when he comes to visit too...I believe the last occupants refer to it as "big yellow mama"

Edited by oracle

He claims that he's pumping the profit back into his church's ministry. If he genuinely is, then I'm in two minds about that. On the one hand, the RC church has done some genuinely good work in fighting poverty in some of the world's nastiest places. Yet on the other, his operation is helping to cause the problem that his church's ministry then tries to alleviate, i.e. contributing to the housing bubble which in turn will increase the number of people needing charitable assistance. He is proving the Chinese proverb, "Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day, but teach him how to fish and he will eat for a lifetime". What this priest is doing is essentially raising the money to buy lots of fish to give to people, by denying those people the opportunitiy to learn to fish for themselves.

+1 good post.

that's the whole point.

the PTB have 1500 years plus of "form" when it comes to leaving people dependent on them for lifes basics.

not been forgotten, not been forgiven.

Helping to raise prices and price more people out. Doing Gods work.

God moves in mysterious ways.

I hear his son is on Facebook now.

Jesus-Facebook-Page.png

jesus%2527%2Bfriend%2Brequest.jpg

The article says 30% of profits goes to the church.

So what is wrong, him making coin because he is a priest or is it wrong to turn a dilapidated building into homes? Doing good without making a profit has to stop once the cash runs out. Doing good while making coin can go on for ever.

People here are lamenting the lack of house building. Do we now say that those house builders are wrong to look for profit?

The article is of interest only because the guy is a priest. Interesting to see the automatic bias of members here...guy makes a profit creating homes... burn him...

The article is of interest only because the guy is a priest. Interesting to see the automatic bias of members here...guy makes a profit creating homes... burn him...

How does the tax man see him giving 1/3 profits away?

Would he be a better person offering good quality long term rented housing?