House Price Crash Forum

The Garage Has Just Broken My Car During The Mot.

HOLA441

If there's one manufacturer that has never really worked out how to make a diesel engine, it's Toyota.

controversial!

the warranty covers some engines made in 2008/9 when they say there was a change in the types of oil...the units burn the oil internally and this causes failures in the head gaskets..

earlier and later models other than this bracket werent affected....so they say....but on this date range they extended the warranty to 7 years or just over 100K miles...

Talking around, it seems the excessive oil usage I am seeing is common for other cars too...not all diesel....I have never had a car where a full tank requires another half litre of oil.

HOLA442

controversial!

the warranty covers some engines made in 2008/9 when they say there was a change in the types of oil...the units burn the oil internally and this causes failures in the head gaskets..

earlier and later models other than this bracket werent affected....so they say....but on this date range they extended the warranty to 7 years or just over 100K miles...

Talking around, it seems the excessive oil usage I am seeing is common for other cars too...not all diesel....I have never had a car where a full tank requires another half litre of oil.

Interestingly Toyota had a bad run with the engine in your previous car, the 1.8 petrol vvt-i. You could have had the distinction of having received a replacement there too, also showing as excessive oil consumption. Piston ring issue iirc.

My wife'old Toyota petrol holds a mere 3.5 litres to the top line on the dipstick and doesn't seem to use any.

HOLA443

I have never had a car where a full tank requires another half litre of oil.

For some reason I had you down as older than me Bloo :P .

I'm 34. My first car was that paragon of reliability, a Nissan Prairie 1.8, inherited from my parents when I was 18. That used to do a litre of oil every 1000 miles. The way I drove it as a tight student it did about 45 miles to the gallon (I flashed many a truck in from my position on the inside lane at a steady 50).

HOLA444
HOLA445

Finally got the car back today after the garage broke another piece of the engine when removing a coolant pipe.

Total cost £280, car would have passed the MOT with 2 bulbs had they not broken it!

Ho well - I will leave the train w@nkers to it tonight!

are you sure there is an engine in there at all?...

HOLA446

Took my car for a MOT last week. Passed with flying colours.

Today, I got a horrible scraping, scrunching noise when coming to a halt at some lights (and time I applied the brakes thereafter). Got home and found one of the front wheels covered in iron filings. Turns out that the brake pads were a bit low. Well one of them had no pad - it was just backing plate rubbing on disc.

HOLA447

Took my car for a MOT last week. Passed with flying colours.

Today, I got a horrible scraping, scrunching noise when coming to a halt at some lights (and time I applied the brakes thereafter). Got home and found one of the front wheels covered in iron filings. Turns out that the brake pads were a bit low. Well one of them had no pad - it was just backing plate rubbing on disc.

That's how good the MOT is? :lol:

It passed today, and a few hours later, was not that good! :blink:

HOLA448

Agreed regarding council MOT places, you'll pay the statutory maximum fee for the test but in my experience it is well worth it.

I just wouldn't take my car to a garage for an MOT these days.

Although.....

I was looking to use a Council MoT centre and when talking about it a friend decided to do this for his car which was due its MoT the next week.

He took it along and it failed horrendously on emissions. He said that it couldn't be right, please check your machine.

The machine was reading entirely wrong, they couldn't pass him but they didn't fail him either or charge him.

The tester mentioned that he'd already failed a couple of cars that morning on emissions.

So I didn't go, but have a local garage that I'm happy with that my cars go to when they're out of warranty.

Archived